Poor Sound Quality on iPhone 3GS when 3G is on. Whats the deal??

double02

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
So I switched from 8 great years with T-Mobile to get an iPhone. Got the 3GS. With full bars, when 3G is on, the sound quality is sub-par. Even when the phone is dialing the number, the sound of the ring cuts in and out like I'm calling from the moon. When you're talking to someone- on my end, words are cut off and parts of some conversations are hard to understand. And here's the hitch...turn 3G off, make another call to the same number from the same location and sound is clear as a bell! Even the "ringing" part is clearer. It's a totally different sound quality with 3G off. There's no question about it. I've been through 3 phones, 3 trips to Apple geniuses, two calls to Apple customer support, and one visit to the AT&T store. No one in customer service seems to know anything about this issue- even though I've seen it on other blogs. I've restored, reset, retried, redone, you name it. I've even swapped out the SIM. The guy at AT&T let me try his phone and his was doing the same thing- but to him that's apparently normal. Seems odd that a 3G phone would have poor sound quality with 3G engaged, but sound perfect with it off. Does anyone else have this issue?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I always tell people when they are looking for a new phone, find what carrier works best for you then choose a phone. I've never had this issue with any iPhone. Sounds like you are just in a bad area with AT&T 3G. (Even though the phone reports full bars) I wish I could help you out but I don't think anything will change for you anytime soon.

double02

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks!

Yeah, I won the phone (a gift card) on Twitter. So the phone was free. My Razr was on its last legs so it was time for a change. My main concern was reception at my house, but reception is great. Bottom line is, I can leave 3G off and it's fine. Guess that's the solution for now.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, I won the phone (a gift card) on Twitter. So the phone was free. My Razr was on its last legs so it was time for a change. My main concern was reception at my house, but reception is great. Bottom line is, I can leave 3G off and it's fine. Guess that's the solution for now.

As long as you have some WiFi around, you should be ok. In time hopefully the 3G signal will get better for you.

CarlyLyon

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
try taking it to apple it might be a problem with your phone... it shouldn't have worse sound quality while on 3g in fact the opposite should be true

double02

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
This is my third phone from the Apple store. Each one has had this same issue- aside from the first one that also had a screen that wouldn't respond on the right side. I think Apple quality has gone way down hill. My shuffle that relies on the headphones to operate is only two months old has already been through two sets of earbuds. Good thing I've got a retail store nearby. Guess I'll just have to leave 3g off- because this seems to be an issue none of the Geniuses can solve.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro