Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

17 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Default Could this be a Virus or trojan on Iphone 3GS 3.0 3.01?

My iPhone 3GS 3.0 started acting up earlier this week. When I went online it would stutter alot and I just gave up thinking something was wrong with AT&T's network. Then my phones calls were getting dropped so I figured it was definitely AT&T's fault. So I called and they suggested to go get a new SIM card. I decided to take my SIM out and put it into a friends 3GS exactly like mine. Internet worked fine and it was speedy as I was used to on mine. His SIM in my phone resulted in the same problem of slow or no internet.
    So I now knew it was the phone...So I went ahead and upgraded to 3.0.1 thinking that would surely solve the problem but no. It was working fine but as soon as I sync my info to the phone it went back to the problem.
    So I started thinking what could have happened...a virus?...then I thought what happened recently...Oh...I got an MMS from a friend...believe it or not it was the first MMS. It told me to go to the link to see it so I did.
    So I thought didn't Apple say the MMS was a vulnerability for the 3.0 and thus that is part of the reason we got 3.0.1? Did I get screwed and get a virus?
    I'll keep playing with this and see if I find a fix but I'm worried I'm screwed and will spend alot of hours trying to clear this...and its useless to go to AT&T a get a new phone because the problem will persist and I'm not wanting or needing to get a new phone out of this. (I like my 3GS more than my friends 3GS because my screen has cool colors while his has warm color for whatever reason)
    iPhone Intermediate

187 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts

The exploit that caused 3.0.1 to happen was because of a vulnerability in the SMS (text messaging).

It had to do with a user receiving a text that was nothing but a square ([], or something like this). When the text was opened to view, the phone would then, supposedly, start to receive something like 150 small files.

It would then allow the person (hacker, botnet) sending the text to take over the phone and use it at their discretion. Although, it was also said that if the transfer was interrupted, that the take over attempt would fail, and have to be re-initialized via a new text message.

The sluggishness of your iPhone could be the cause of an app, possibly email, checking the internet all of the time. Or even checking location services on a regular basis. There could be numerous reasons, but I would not rule out a piece of malware or a virus, either.
    iMore Expert

840 Posts
    Global Posts
    870 Global Posts

Viruses? THere are not a lot of viruses for Apple much less the iPhone. So while I would not rule it out, I might would try the following first.

1) Simply reset the phone. That will clear up many "glitches"

2) Re-install the phone thru iTunes but NOT from a back-up. Do it as a NEW phone. You may have an app or picture that is not playing nice with everybody else.
    iMore Pro

718 Posts

If it worked fine until you sync'd (I am assuming restored a back up) it sounds like something in your back up got corrupted and you need to restore and set up as a new phone.
    iPhone Elite

1,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

A virus would have to be in a running application
    iMore Elite

2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,455 Global Posts

Restore as a new phone and see how things go from there.
    iMore Genius

7,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,332 Global Posts

An Iphone virus, for some reason that's cool to imagine. Anyway like everyone said reboot your phone and you should be good to go.