iPhone 3GS Bugs/Issues

MGT

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Did you use a backup file to transfer your info to the 3GS or is this your first iPhone? If you transfered your data over from a backup file and are having these issues I'd say go ahead and restore the software and start as a fresh iPhone. Could be something in that backup file that is corrupt causing these crashing issues.

Unfortunately this is my first iPhone--unjailbroken--and exactly as it came except for the invisibleshield.

lpiphone

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Battery Problem with new 3GS from Apple Store

Hi,

just got my new 3GS 32G last Friday.

Very cool toy, but I had to recharge fully 3 nights to get 3-4 hours total usage. Mostly wifi at my house. From a few dowloaded apps.

3G is Off.

I'm using a fake APN to disable "Edge" with Rogers.

Battery power went down quickly while phone was not in use.

Anyone seen this ?

Tks.

Regards,

Luc.

wesdavies

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

just got my new 3GS 32G last Friday.

Very cool toy, but I had to recharge fully 3 nights to get 3-4 hours total usage. Mostly wifi at my house. From a few dowloaded apps.

3G is Off.

I'm using a fake APN to disable "Edge" with Rogers.

Battery power went down quickly while phone was not in use.

Anyone seen this ?

Tks.

Regards,

Luc.

Short answer: no

Long answer: I would remove the fake APN tweak to see if that improves things, and any other tweak you may have added. Also, try resetting the device. If that does not help, then you should take the phone back and get it exchanged because it is defective.

Note: I have wifi, 3g, location services all enabled and screen brightness set to just a shade under the default, and I can get through a whole day of use without a problem, typically with 20% juice left at the end of the day. (I primarily use safari, the iPod and email most heavily, with the occasional game and lots of PIM and lengthy note-taking.) That's a significant improvement over my old 3G - at least 15% better, I would say.

Avrum68

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Did you use a backup file to transfer your info to the 3GS or is this your first iPhone? If you transfered your data over from a backup file and are having these issues I'd say go ahead and restore the software and start as a fresh iPhone. Could be something in that backup file that is corrupt causing these crashing issues.

My iPhone 3GS started crashing today - twice. I never had this issue with the 3G (which I owned for appx 8 months). As well, I believe the crashes occured after watching videos I recorded. Odd.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
AT&T will tell you that you should reboot your phone daily!
Seriously?
Two different Reps told me that...
I laughed in their face.
Nothing wrong with this advice. It clears memory etc and, if switched off overnight, will save on battery usage.

CharlieBall

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
is it normal for the 3GS to just "Crash" ? I was on an app, and it wasnt working. So i pressed the home button, and it takes me to the screen. Then my phone crashes. and then it reboots.

is this normal?

megscd

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
AT&T will tell you that you should reboot your phone daily!
Seriously?
Two different Reps told me that...
I laughed in their face.

Must be a thing with smartphones. When I had my Blackberry I had to do battery pulls a few times a day or the thing was just an expensive brick. I have way fewer problems with iPhones, FWIW.

thuwun

Jul 6, 2009
twitter.com
If I shake or move my 3gs quickly while it's charging there is a chirping noise, if the sound is off the chirp is replaced by a vibration. I thought it may have been app related as I just downloaded Tetris but it only occurs while the phone is charging.

I have figured that this is the new shake technology that iPhone has put in to some programs; it used as an undo in typing situations, or refresh in others, and some others i haven't discovered yet. so it is probably a glitch, or you have a bad charging connection and you may be experience a short or break in charging connectivity

thuwun

Jul 6, 2009
twitter.com
I dunno if I did this right but 3Gs battery life is awful. I contacted Apple they told me to return it. This would make the third one since June 20th. I haven't gone yet because I don't want to deal with the Genius bar because I don't think it's the phone I believe its the battery... ahh something like that.

I have researched and and researched this. Some sources say that it is a hardware defect, this is the reason that att&apple will give you a new iphone; however i believe this to be a software neglection, and that the system is not optimized and wwill probably be fixed with a software update as is the problem with a lot of smartphones upon initial release.

Also i have noticed that if you follow the rules of battery charging, (i.e. giving the phone a complete charge, fully discharge battery and fully charge a minimum of 6 hrs with no use while charging it will increase your battery life.

in addition do this charge with charging from the wall , and not your computer. the wall is a contant DC source, and computer is an AC source like a car charger and current is variable. So a 100% charge from the Computer is not the same as a 100% charge from the wall outlet.

Hope this helps, even with good battery charging is still barely make it through a 14 hr day of moderate use, or about 5-4 hrs of heavy use.

kberry66

Aug 4, 2008
Visit site
The only problem I have noticed is that somehow my phone always ends up at a voicemail password enter screen.. When I exit an app or get off the phone.. Or when I have my phone locked and hit the wake button sometimes it will simply be at this screen when I unlock it.

Pretty annoying..

I hadn't had any issues until today & this happened to me. Has anyone found a fix for this??

kberry66

Aug 4, 2008
Visit site
Just a quick note to anyone else having issues with the voicemail password pop up from time to time. I didn't have an issue with it until I received a voicemail on my phone. I went to settings-phone-reset vm password. Once I saw the screen I remembered entering the password to set up my vm. I changed the password & had a vm waiting for me. Seems to have fixed the problem.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
it seems the 3gs has had a lot of problems with it, I'm scared to buy one...

Don't be. I love love love mine. And had seriously talked myself out getting the 3GS and just waiting until Apple comes out with something new next year. But I have the new one, lol. Battery life is a drag (it wasn't so great with my 3G, either), but I charge throughout the day so am usually ok. The speed is just amazing and I love always having a video camera with me.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick note to anyone else having issues with the voicemail password pop up from time to time. I didn't have an issue with it until I received a voicemail on my phone. I went to settings-phone-reset vm password. Once I saw the screen I remembered entering the password to set up my vm. I changed the password & had a vm waiting for me. Seems to have fixed the problem.

This was happening when I had my new phone activated. i just kept putting in the password and the problem disappeared on its own within a day or two.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
it seems the 3gs has had a lot of problems with it, I'm scared to buy one...

I must be lucky - my 3GS is great. Battery life is the best of any smartphone I have had before (Moto Q, Q9c, Touch Pro, Plam Pre). I have no problems that are not known gripes with the platform to begin with (like better multiple inbox viewing in email, more notification sounds/reminders options and a better focusing camera). But as far as I can tell, the 3GS works as advertised for me. My screen is fine - but I did not have another iPhone to compare it to.

I guess it just depends on your expectations.

i_nut

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I must be lucky - my 3GS is great. Battery life is the best of any smartphone I have had before (Moto Q, Q9c, Touch Pro, Plam Pre). I have no problems that are not known gripes with the platform to begin with (like better multiple inbox viewing in email, more notification sounds/reminders options and a better focusing camera). But as far as I can tell, the 3GS works as advertised for me. My screen is fine - but I did not have another iPhone to compare it to.

I guess it just depends on your expectations.

Can you please ellaborate on your battery life in detail? Thanks.:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR