Upgrade to the iPhone 3GS and make money!

nyknicks4412

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Now I am sick of seeing these pointless threads on not upgrading to the iPhone 3gs and instead keeping the 3G. The only people who should not upgrade to the iPhone 3gs are people whose ATT contract does not offer them an upgrade. If your contract has either a complete upgrade which offers the 3gs at a price of 199/299 respectively or offers a discounted upgrade for the price of 399/499 you should sell your current 3g iPhone...16 gig 3g iphones currently go for around 500 dollars unlocked or 400 if they are stuck on ATT. 8 gig 3g varies but you should still be able to get at least 300 for your phone. take that money and buy the new iphone 3gs...you get a better phone than the current 3g and possibly even have some extra cash from the sale to spend on watever...seems like a win win to me?

lordzod01

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
It's a pointless upgrade ace. Why upgade to a fastter phone with the only other feature being a compass and being tied down next year when the propper upgrade is to be released. The 3GS was only ever going to be a stepping stone for next year when peoples contracts are up. Apple themselves have posted a line by line comparison in the store against each model, showing practically the same phone other than speed.

This was done to reach out to iPhone 2G users and the % of the smart phone market not using Apples device. Everybody is entitled to there own oppinion, yes, and to this point 3G users need to decide wether or not, to be in a contract next year.

The option to buy out your existing contract next year may exist, but no doubt have 9-12 months remaining on the 3GS. That would be one hell of a lot of money to front for the new model. A sensible thing to do is to let your 3G contract run now and wait a few months next year for the new upgrade. Leave the 3GS to the market Apple aimed it at.

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
It's a pointless upgrade ace. Why upgade to a fastter phone with the only other feature being a compass and being tied down next year when the propper upgrade is to be released. The 3GS was only ever going to be a stepping stone for next year when peoples contracts are up. Apple themselves have posted a line by line comparison in the store against each model, showing practically the same phone other than speed.

This was done to reach out to iPhone 2G users and the % of the smart phone market not using Apples device. Everybody is entitled to there own oppinion, yes, and to this point 3G users need to decide wether or not, to be in a contract next year.

The option to buy out your existing contract next year may exist, but no doubt have 9-12 months remaining on the 3GS. That would be one hell of a lot of money to front for the new model. A sensible thing to do is to let your 3G contract run now and wait a few months next year for the new upgrade. Leave the 3GS to the market Apple aimed it at.

I agree with you on not upgrading. The 3Gs is not that much more significant than the 3G. Yes, it's fast and has the video, voice control & compass, but do you want to be tied to a new 2yr contract with AT&T? Then next year rolls around and a whole new iPhone comes out that blows the 3Gs away & you can't upgrade because AT&T says screw you, we just let you upgrade last year, so you have to wait this time around. Forget it, I'll stick with my 3G & wait it out to see what's new & better next year. That's my $0.02.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
If you want to make money and are eligible for an upgrade soon just sell your existing 3g and buy another for $99 and make around $350 - $400 dollars (unlocked) on ebay. Then wait for the real update to the 3g in the summer of 2010.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking about giving my old 3G to my sister...

400 for my old iPhone ? Dag ... sounds like a deal breaker. lol.

I guess she will be sticking to her first gen iPod Touch =]

nyknicks4412

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
if you have a high enough bill you will be eligible for an upgrade again next summer when the next iPhone comes out...so why not get some cash now and a small upgrade

viral

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious as to why people would pay so much for an older gen iPhone on ebay? Is there really that big of a market of people who can't upgrade their current AT&T contract that they're willing to fork over 3 to 4 TIMES the going rate for a used previous gen iphone? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me...?

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious as to why people would pay so much for an older gen iPhone on ebay? Is there really that big of a market of people who can't upgrade their current AT&T contract that they're willing to fork over 3 to 4 TIMES the going rate for a used previous gen iphone? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me...?

They are t-mobile customers who don't want to switch to AT&T.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
wow seeing you guys wretch over 2 year contracts makes me sad to live in Canada, where we only have the option of 3 years for the iPhone. But at least my service works! :p

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I sold my 7 month old 8gb 3g on craigslist for $375 and ended up getting the 16gb 3Gs from att for a grand total of 423 dollars.

In my eye's the whole "sign a new contract" thing is blow out of proportion and means nothing to me. I "need" a cell phone and I don't see that changing, and as much as people say "this network is better then that network", in the end, att work fine for me whereever I am.

So it really came down to: did I really want to pay whole fourty eight dollars for double the storage capacity and memory, a faster processor, a noticeably better camera with native video recording, a compass (which I initially though was an afterthought till the maps orientation made me understand) and more. I figured I could swing it, pulled the proverbial trigger, and laugh at the hesitation I did have.

Last edited:

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
What are the chances of apple coming out with a new iphone again next year.......I am new to the whole iphone fad, and AT&T, and I was just curious when they will be coming out with a whole new iphone, not just an upgrade as small as a faster processor?

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
The chances are good that they will be constantly upgrading hardware, seeing at they have released a "upgraded" iPhone every year.

As for a whole new phone, I'm thinking not likely anytime soon. The process of getting everything they have now, the apps people love and the way it is presented, to run on a whole new platform would be cost prohibitive, i would imagine.

That being said, having the 3Gs being typecast as a "small upgrade" is bewildering to me. I view the 3G to the 3Gs as more of a positive jump then the 2G to 3G. Am I crazy for thinking this?

jdtoyou

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I sold my 7 month old 8gb 3g on craigslist for $375 and ended up getting the 16gb 3Gs from att for a grand total of 423 dollars.

In my eye's the whole "sign a new contract" thing is blow out of proportion and means nothing to me. I "need" a cell phone and I don't see that changing, and as much as people say "this network is better then that network", in the end, att work fine for me whereever I am.

So it really came down to: did I really want to pay whole fourty eight dollars for double the storage capacity and memory, a faster processor, a noticeably better camera with native video recording, a compass (which I initially though was an afterthought till the maps orientation made me understand) and more. I figured I could swing it, pulled the proverbial trigger, and laugh at the hesitation I did have.

If one does sell their 3G on Craigslist/eBay, what should I do to the phone before turning over to the new owner?

gogators

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I must have got lucky

I sold my 3G for $200 and I was willing to pay the extra $200 for the early upgrade. To my surprise when I went to Best Buy to get the 3G, I was able to get the full upgrade for $199 instead of $399. I got my 3G back in September of last year (08).

I am still lucky because if I go check my account now it says I am eligible for an upgrade in June of 2010, that's only a year and not the two years I just signed up for.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I sold my 3G for $200 and I was willing to pay the extra $200 for the early upgrade. To my surprise when I went to Best Buy to get the 3G, I was able to get the full upgrade for $199 instead of $399. I got my 3G back in September of last year (08).

I am still lucky because if I go check my account now it says I am eligible for an upgrade in June of 2010, that's only a year and not the two years I just signed up for.

This is because AT&T changed upgrade eligibility for a period of time for existing iPhone 3G customers who were what they considered "early adopters", so if you purchased in July-September of last year and had a high enough bill (put enough revenue in AT&T's pocket a month), they let you upgrade a little bit early.

unternull

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Im still on the ball about it , i have the 3g 16gb but i dont see a real reason to blow the extra 299(32g) , because next year theres gonna be a new one that will trump the old one , and my other phone being a berry im completely satisfied.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't want to use my upgrade from AT&T on this version just for some speed when my iPhone 3G works just fine. Next year when the "real" new iPhone comes out I want to have my upgrade and be in line. While I'm sure everyone who ran out and upgraded from the 3G to the 3GS will do the same crying and moaning that they can't get the cheapest upgrade price that they did this year.

If I get the 3GS it will be from eBay or something where I can just activate the 3GS on my current plan and not use my upgarde.

Limegrntaln

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I upgraded for the same reason that was already posted here. I dont care about the 2 year agreement. Everywhere I live or have lived has 3G and I dont plan on moving anywhere that doesnt have 3G. Since I like to have the newest thing out, I upgraded, and my 16GB 3G sold at auction end for $412.00. I was surprised myself, it was in very good shape though, and I offered it unlocked and jailbroken if they wanted. It didnt go like that, the owner was happy to take it in stock format.

Paid $560 with the unsubsidized tax they hit you with. So I really only paid $148. Which I can live with. Also saving another $10-$12 a month with the upgrade pricing on the bill. Which just about covers the upgrade on my phone.

I weighed the pros and cons and the deciding factor for me is the older 3G iPhone wont be doing 7.2 Mbps when its available. So for me, I would rather go through 11-12 more months of 7.2 then not have it. So to me its worth it