How to upgrade from an iPod Touch to iPhone 3gs?

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys. So Friday I will get my new iPhone 3gs, and my wife will inherit my current iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Here's the deal: I use the iPod for work and have several apps with information in them for work, such as a mileage app, etc. Is it possible to transfer that information over to my iPhone from the iPod Touch? Both will be synced to the same computer under my current iTunes account.

Is it possible for me to restore the iPhone to my iPod settings, even though its technically a different operating system? If so, will just the apps transfer, or my settings/saved data/etc as well? Also, how exactly would I do this? I've never even had to restore my iPod Touch.

Thanks in advance for the help. Can't wait until Friday. Will be SO nice to not carry two devices anymore...and to not have my wife steal the iPod away. haha

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Sync your ipod with itunes and once you sync new iphone and put apps on it.It should have all you info from apps.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Uhh, MAYBE. I tried something simliar for my sister and her saved info and such in certain apps did not carry over to her new device. Try it out OP and let us know.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You will need to restore from a back up of the ipod to the new phone. At that point your personal user settings and app data will be put on the phone. Then sync your music and apps back to the phone and your settings will be there. I know when I got my iPhone 3G and plugged it in, iTunes offered to restore with the last back up of my iPod.

Tom Munch

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to go from iPod Touch to iPhone 3GS as well, & this is the best thread I've found so far about transferring data from one device to the other.

I'm wondering though if there are any utilities available that can identify the backup files so you can identify them by app in the backup folder. Does anyone know of a utility like this for PC or Mac? That way these could be dragged to the new device one at a time instead of doing an entire restore & getting all the data.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm about to go from iPod Touch to iPhone 3GS as well, & this is the best thread I've found so far about transferring data from one device to the other.

I'm wondering though if there are any utilities available that can identify the backup files so you can identify them by app in the backup folder. Does anyone know of a utility like this for PC or Mac? That way these could be dragged to the new device one at a time instead of doing an entire restore & getting all the data.

the apps are stored as apps on the system, not in the backup. also, it's not a backup folder, it's a backup file.

Tom Munch

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have a folder titled Backup here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

with subfolders for each date I've done a full backup that have files that I read were the data for the apps on the Apple support support site. I'm looking for the link now.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, I have a folder titled Backup here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

with subfolders for each date I've done a full backup that have files that I read were the data for the apps on the Apple support support site. I'm looking for the link now.

I have 3gb of apps. there's no way each backup is 3gb. at usb 2.0 that would mean my backups should take longer than the 3 minutes they do now. (it took like 15 minutes to transfer for installation)

notice how you said that's for the DATA for the apps reinstallation if the backup is used, as in not the executable itself. data = database, settings, etc.

it can also mean data used for the apps, as in screen position and a list of what's actually installed

Tom Munch

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually looking for the data files, not the apps, so that I can put the data on the iPhone instead of the iPod after I install the apps.

Tom Munch

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you can use a python script to get better access to these files.

I don't have enough posts to post a link to the page I read about it on, but it's on Hal MacLean's site.

Tom Munch

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I got all my info from my iPod Touch into my new iPhone 3GS with a restore as suggested when I hooked the iPhone up into iTunes for the first time. Now how do I wipe the iPod Touch so it doesn't confuse iTunes when I hook it up?

Tom Munch

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey. iTunes is pretty smart. I hooked up the Touch & it wasn't confused at all. Now to sort out which apps & songs to have on each device.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711