iPhone 3GS from Apple Store Activation?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Will the store activate my new iPhone or will I just get the phone in the box and have to activate it myself?

The Apple store activated my 3G when I bought it,but I'm getting my 3GS delivered to my house this year. I'm thinking it's as easy as popping my current SIM in and syncing.

joliveria

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Here's what my confirmation from Apple said:

iPhone Number & Activation - As soon as your iPhone ships, we'll send you additional information, including your phone number. Once you have your iPhone, activating and syncing it is simple. Just download the latest version of iTunes, connect to your computer, and iTunes will guide you through the next steps.

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Wait, we can't keep our same phone numbers? Sorry, I got an original iPhone and haven't gone through the upgrading process yet.

joliveria

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes you get to keep the same number. When you order through Apple.com they have you input that info. This is just a generic script for everyone ordering online. Near the end of the email I have, it lists "Purchase Order Number." That number is my phone number.

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, well I ordered from AT&T, I guess I'll call them tomorrow and ask. In my shipping receipt, it says that it's shipping the iPhone and a sim card, hopefully it won't matter what sim card I use and I'll just pop my old one in. AT&T knows that i'm upgrading from my old iphone. Don't see why they'd be changing numbers...

joliveria

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I don't see how it would really matter about using an old sim card, but if you activate the new sim then you would still have the same number if you ordered it using that phone number.

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
just called AT&T, they said that if you receive a sim card with your order, you have to use the new sim card. It still has your old phone number, and all your account information, they only thing you'll have to do to transfer your contacts over to the new phone.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes you get to keep the same number. When you order through Apple.com they have you input that info. This is just a generic script for everyone ordering online. Near the end of the email I have, it lists "Purchase Order Number." That number is my phone number.
That phone number has nothing to do with your actual Cell phone number. I have my home number there, simply because that was the contact number I have on my account.

just called AT&T, they said that if you receive a sim card with your order, you have to use the new sim card. It still has your old phone number, and all your account information, they only thing you'll have to do to transfer your contacts over to the new phone.

How do you transfer your contacts from the old iphone to the new iphone ???
:confused:

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
That phone number has nothing to do with your actual Cell phone number. I have my home number there, simply because that was the contact number I have on my account.

How do you transfer your contacts from the old iphone to the new iphone ???
:confused:

Sync with computer or mac and then sync new iphone. Or you can download a app like Mover.(free)

joliveria

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Or you could do it the old fashion way and manually copy (type) it over. But I'm weird and enjoy doing that when I get totally new phones. :)

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
It's standard procedure to give you a new sim when you get a phone upgrade. This is just to make to make sure people don't end up with an ancient sim that might have compatibility problems with a new phone and the new sims have added programing and features. When you activate it, your "line" just transfers over to the new sim. It's not a big deal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2