Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default IPhone 3Gs looks - any tiny difference?

Hi,

Is there any even-so-slight tiny difference in the way the 3Gs looks compared to the 3G, except of course the print on the back? Any button shaped differently, is the camera lens visibly different, any slight dimension change?

It's always fun to spot the differences...

Thanks, Zak
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,221 Global Posts

I think it's intended to be 100% identical so that accessories and cases are all completely compatible. Tweaking it even slightly would screw this up.
    There COULD be a difference in the number of or placement of sensors behind the glass, I don't know. Just a thought.

I suspect it will say iPhone 3GS on the back vs 3G, and that's the only difference.
    iPhone Intermediate

I was surprised they kept it the same size and everything. Apple is known for slimming the new model.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,249 Global Posts
    iOS Version

There is one difference. The iPhone 3Gs is 3g heavier than the iPhone 3G.
    iPhone Intermediate

In addition to what taylorh said , if the device is changed manufactures would have to have two different accessories for two different phones that do the same thing on one software.

Apple is also a software company. They care more about software than hardware - You see that in the computers. Also , why fix what is not broken ? Apple has sold so much from the iPod and the design hasn't drastically changed since. Same thing with the iPhone/iPodT.
    TiPb Fourm Staff

iOS Version
    iOS 7.0

If there was a different look for the 3Gs I would probably be getting it.
    Twitter = JHamilton24
    iPhone Intermediate

I wish the new iPhone 3Gs was as thin as the 2nd gen iPod Touch. That would have been cool.
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

I, for one, am glad they did not change the design/dimensions. I just purchased a Morphie Juice Pack Air and didn't want to get a new one when I upgrade.

Also, any other cases will definitely fit as well. For anyone who has a 3G, this should be seen as a positive.
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

We'll see if it works, but supposedly there is a new oil/water resistant coating on the 3GS, so maybe you can distinguish the two from the amount of fingerprints.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,221 Global Posts

I know people trick their phones out with cases anyway, but if they had just offered it in 4 or 5 different colors, they'd sell just because of that.
    My wife would insist on a pink one, I now it.
    That would allow them to keep the form factor identical. However with colors that creates a replacement/refurb SKU nightmare.
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I know people trick their phones out with cases anyway, but if they had just offered it in 4 or 5 different colors, they'd sell just because of that.
    My wife would insist on a pink one, I now it.
    That would allow them to keep the form factor identical. However with colors that creates a replacement/refurb SKU nightmare.
    I agree. Personally, paying ~$20 for a case with color makes more sense to me than choosing a phone with a set color. You can then have a variety of colors to skin your device with. Of course, this is coming from a guy who likes all of his devices black...
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
    SOV
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Exactly the same in all dimensions, but it does weigh more.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I think it's intended to be 100% identical so that accessories and cases are all completely compatible. Tweaking it even slightly would screw this up.
    There COULD be a difference in the number of or placement of sensors behind the glass, I don't know. Just a thought.

I suspect it will say iPhone 3GS on the back vs 3G, and that's the only difference.
    The current iPhone 3G doesn't even say 3G on the back. Just "iPhone" so I doubt it'll mention 3G S on the back.

I'll be getting the 32 GB so that's how people will see the difference with mine.
    iPhone Newbie

The screen seems easier to clean than the 3G. There seems to be a different coating.
    iPhone Newbie

They looks no any difference except iPhone 3G S is heavier 2g than the old one. The size and apparence is same.
    PSM
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

The only difference I can see is that the writing on the back (like the "iPhone / 32GB" and the FCC info) is shiny silver like the Apple logo, instead of dark gray like it is on my 3G.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

no light leak on my 3G S like I had on my 3G
    iPhone Newbie

I hate the new coating, sure, it makes wiping off prints easier, but it also seems to make more pronounced prints when using it. They are really noticible in bright sunshine.