IPhone 3Gs looks - any tiny difference?

zak4899

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Is there any even-so-slight tiny difference in the way the 3Gs looks compared to the 3G, except of course the print on the back? Any button shaped differently, is the camera lens visibly different, any slight dimension change?

It's always fun to spot the differences...

Thanks, Zak

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I think it's intended to be 100% identical so that accessories and cases are all completely compatible. Tweaking it even slightly would screw this up.
There COULD be a difference in the number of or placement of sensors behind the glass, I don't know. Just a thought.

I suspect it will say iPhone 3GS on the back vs 3G, and that's the only difference.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
In addition to what taylorh said , if the device is changed manufactures would have to have two different accessories for two different phones that do the same thing on one software.

Apple is also a software company. They care more about software than hardware - You see that in the computers. Also , why fix what is not broken ? Apple has sold so much from the iPod and the design hasn't drastically changed since. Same thing with the iPhone/iPodT.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I, for one, am glad they did not change the design/dimensions. I just purchased a Morphie Juice Pack Air and didn't want to get a new one when I upgrade.

Also, any other cases will definitely fit as well. For anyone who has a 3G, this should be seen as a positive.

gruswitz

Aug 21, 2006
Visit site
We'll see if it works, but supposedly there is a new oil/water resistant coating on the 3GS, so maybe you can distinguish the two from the amount of fingerprints.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I know people trick their phones out with cases anyway, but if they had just offered it in 4 or 5 different colors, they'd sell just because of that.
My wife would insist on a pink one, I now it.
That would allow them to keep the form factor identical. However with colors that creates a replacement/refurb SKU nightmare.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I know people trick their phones out with cases anyway, but if they had just offered it in 4 or 5 different colors, they'd sell just because of that.
My wife would insist on a pink one, I now it.
That would allow them to keep the form factor identical. However with colors that creates a replacement/refurb SKU nightmare.

I agree. Personally, paying ~$20 for a case with color makes more sense to me than choosing a phone with a set color. You can then have a variety of colors to skin your device with. Of course, this is coming from a guy who likes all of his devices black... :D

Zexel

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I think it's intended to be 100% identical so that accessories and cases are all completely compatible. Tweaking it even slightly would screw this up.
There COULD be a difference in the number of or placement of sensors behind the glass, I don't know. Just a thought.

I suspect it will say iPhone 3GS on the back vs 3G, and that's the only difference.

The current iPhone 3G doesn't even say 3G on the back. Just "iPhone" so I doubt it'll mention 3G S on the back.

I'll be getting the 32 GB so that's how people will see the difference with mine.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
The only difference I can see is that the writing on the back (like the "iPhone / 32GB" and the FCC info) is shiny silver like the Apple logo, instead of dark gray like it is on my 3G.

theroamer

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I hate the new coating, sure, it makes wiping off prints easier, but it also seems to make more pronounced prints when using it. They are really noticible in bright sunshine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2