Ordered my iPhone 3Gs - how about you? *Apple is now shipping*

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
not too impressed with the upgrade, and no MMS when 3.0 launches?

i can wait for a complete redesign :)
There will be MMS on launch in most of the world. In the US, we do not have adequate wireless broadband capacity to carry it. That is not Apple's fault [unless you want to blame the success of the iPhone for consuming all the capacity].

Welcome to the Third World.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
There will be MMS on launch in most of the world. In the US, we do not have adequate wireless broadband capacity to carry it. That is not Apple's fault [unless you want to blame the success of the iPhone for consuming all the capacity].

Welcome to the Third World.

Its not apple's fault, youre right.
But I dont see how we can have the capacity, when MMS is available through ALL networks and on ALL phones but iPhone. What gives.
Sending/receiving a pic from one iphone to another phone shouldnt be as heavy on the network than using Safari or downloading a movie when the 3.0 is out,,,,:confused:

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
It's not about the capacity of the network, according to at&t it's about internal system upgrades, which could mean they have to update all iphone carrier files on their end. But yes I think it's ridiculous and At&t should get some ramification for this and be forced to give some sort of discount to all of their iphone customers.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Gonna wait til july 11th as one of our lines will be eligible for a full upgrade.

What we get will depend on how much we get for our 3G 16GBs.

Either 2 white 16GB 3G Ses or 2 white 32GBs...not sure as of yet.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Its not apple's fault, youre right.
But I dont see how we can have the capacity, when MMS is available through ALL networks and on ALL phones but iPhone. What gives.
Sending/receiving a pic from one iphone to another phone shouldnt be as heavy on the network than using Safari or downloading a movie when the 3.0 is out,,,,:confused:
The last position that I want is that of apologist for AT&T. There is a video of an interview between Walt Mossberg of the WSJ and Randall Stephenson, CEO of AT&T. (I found it on the "All Things Digital" app on the iPhone but it is probably on the WSJ web site and utube.) Mossberg bordered on patronizing. "People are buying iPhones in spite of AT&T, not because of." "You were not ready for 3G." (This thread is about AT&T not being ready for 3.0/3GS.) I felt like Mossberg was on my side and asking the right questions, but he did not talk about arbitrary restrictions on iPhones that AT&T is not applying to other smart phones.

I felt that Stephenson was not responsive and was clearly unapologetic, but you can judge that for yourself. I learned almost nothing that I did not think that I already knew. It is clear that AT&T is behind and expects to remain behind for the forseeable future. They are trying to manage their "churn;" that is about voice quality, not data. At one point he admits that AT&T churn is higher than the industry, but trending down while the rest of the industry is flat. At another he seems to claim that he leads the industry in churn because it is going down.

Within data, they are pushing broadband cards, not smartphones. When was the last time you saw an AT&T ad for an iPhone? He claims that they intend to roll out HSDPA (3.5G cellular data) but admitted that they have not even chosen the first market yet. The 3GS is 3.5G ready but not 4G; you will need another iPhone for that. "But it is a long time to LTE 4G."

Stephenson seems to suggest that it is manpower, not money, that is the scarce resource. He is also blaming his vendors for not meeting expectation. Also that getting wireline capacity to the cell site is a limiting factor.

He said that AT&T is taking over Starbuck's WiFi from T-Mobile. I already prefer AT&T WiFi to T-Mobile WiFi but I prefer Optonline to both.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Just sold our 16GB 3G models for 375 each on CL.

I'm preordering my 16GB white 3G S this week. The g/f has to wait til July 11th, poor thing has to use a Razr til then lol Either way - we're only spending 600 (I'm paying 399, she'll only have to pay 199 on the 11th), and we are making 750. I'll say yes to a 150 profit for upgrading :p

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
my 32gb iPhone 3G is on order, im back to TiPB, and now learning how to develop apps, i guess i needed to be on the platform im developing for... :)

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
New customer to ATT....just pre-ordered the black 32 gig for myself and the black 16 gig for the fiance'.

Bye, bye Sprint! :D

missdee

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
nope. im not eligible for an upgrade, plus it is NOT worth my money even if i were. i have the 3g and i love it. the changes are just too minor

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
Pulled the trigger a couple of hours ago (7pm'ish EST) from at&t. Saw nothing about a delay or the message ""Pre-orders for iPhone 3G S will ship 7 to 14 days after your order is placed." which was mentioned in another post. So I hope my girl gets delivered on the 19'th.

Mag

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I've still got two months left on my other contract but I'm quite sure I'll get the iPhone 3GS and buy the old contract out.

okfmby61

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I ordered my 32G black iphone on Friday night (6/11/09) and got the lovely message regarding "7 to 14 days"....then my credit card company chosen this purchase to place a hold on for security purposes until I called in....imagine ATT's response??? Got in straigtened out Saturday morning, and now ATT's site for tracking these orders is "under maintenance".........and I really thought moving from Verizon to ATT was a good idea.........

iNick

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Yea, AT&T is lying, they are holding off so that when they do let us have it they can try to charge more for it, even though our text messaging plans already pay for a service we don't get, there should be aclass action lawsuit against them.

i called an AT&T rep and she told me that MMS will be included in the text plan and will not be an additional charge...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Mine has shipped from Apple. I feel bad for everyone who ordered from AT&T... hope they don't mess things up for you guys!