Disappointed with iPhone 3Gs???

MoneyMFAC

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I like all of the upgrades, just for some reason seem empty after watching the metablog. No great new feature to attract the masses. I will still buy it on the 19th, but does anyone else feel the same way?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
As someone pointed out over at Crackberry, this was not a major update for the iPhone. I would consider it more of a maintenance upgrade. I'm only 11 months into my 3G contract so I won't upgrade.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I like all of the upgrades, just for some reason seem empty after watching the metablog. No great new feature to attract the masses. I will still buy it on the 19th, but does anyone else feel the same way?

I see it as a pointless upgrade. Sure it is faster but the upgrades are marginal at best.

• Tethering? PDAnet
  • MMS? Wait for OS 3.0
  • Video? Cycorder
  • Bigger HDD? 8 GB is good enough for me. I still have 4GB left.
  • Better Camera? I have a 7 megapix slim canon.
  • No new Data Plans annouced.
  • I'm not even sure if it has more ram.
  • No Voice features for 3G owners even though that feature has been in phones since the 1990s? My crappy Razr does it!
  • I have to pay for GPS while Pre and other WinMo users get if for free?
  • Then on OS 3.0 most of it was really minimal upgrades....no true backgrounding, push notifications seems really obtrusive and lame.

Nothing compelling. So I am dissapointed and I will not be upgrading.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Not all that disappointed, but somewhat. 3.0 OS is what I was really excited about.

I completely agree. I have no plans now for upgrading my iPhone 7 months before the 18 month mark. The 3G should still be capable of using the newer OS updates until next year.

At least I hope. :eek:

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Software 3.0 is going to be sweet.
Hardware 3.0 seems like a bust to me.
Compass. Ho hum.
Video: (jailbreak has it in the old phone).

Faster - Succeed
Voice - Succeed (but they must have done it in hardware)
Front facing camera - FAIL
New case look - FAIL

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
3.0 itself for old phones isn't worth the time it takes to update, the hardware improvement to the new (but old looking phone) are marginal at best, pretty much everything they changed is available in 3rd party apps already, I'm shocked they didn't even change the design? This is gonna be tough holding up for another year against the competition. Look at the specs on the Samsung Omnia HD.:(

gary_gnu

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
No Voice features for 3G owners even though that feature has been in phones since the 1990s? My crappy Razr does it!

It's this combined with the fact that the 3G isn't going to get video that has me really infuriated with Apple right now. It's not a hardware issue that's preventing them from releasing those features as part of the 3.0 upgrade for 3Gs. They're holding out for the money. :mad:

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Most definitely not. What was being referred to as GPS is the ability to use that with apps like Google Maps currently.

Spotlight search is going to be awesome... :D

GMaps isn't real GPS in my opinion.

Spotlight will be cool but its not like a must have feature.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
That's OK. Reports are showing that AT&T is or has become saturated with iPhone users. They are running out of available customers in the US who don't have or want a new device. The pricing strategy will clearly keep those users still within 6 months of their contract end date on existing devices.

New equipment is all around us. How hard would it take to push you into Sprint for a Palm Pre? Or, give you the strength to wait until the exclusivity date for Sprint is over?

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
It's this combined with the fact that the 3G isn't going to get video that has me really infuriated with Apple right now. It's not a hardware issue that's preventing them from releasing those features as part of the 3.0 upgrade for 3Gs. They're holding out for the money. :mad:

The whole conference was baloney. Too many sells figures, no real new ideas, nothing revolutionary. Many of the things they mentioned have already been done on PCs and other phones.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I'll be fine w/ 3.0 and my 16GB iPhone 3G.

I am so not spending the money they want for uhh, LAME hardware upgrades.

I told ppl a long time ago they wouldn't let iPhone 3G users upgrade at the same price like last year. What did I say? lol

I would of needed a BIG hardware change to want me to change. It didn't happen.

I'm still excited for 3.0, but AT&T just put a damper on that excitement considering they can't get their CRAP together and allow MMS to work out of the gate.

How long have they known about this update?

Makes me start to wish the iPhone when to a better carrier.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
GMaps isn't real GPS in my opinion.

Spotlight will be cool but its not like a must have feature.

I really like GMaps, but I will purchasing Tom Tom based on if there is a subscription price, etc.

Spotlight is something that I will use all the time. Just user preference... ;)

MoneyMFAC

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
How many people jumped up and down when they saw the super thin iphone pic leak. As many times as I told myself it wasn't real, I couldn't help but hope. Keeping the same case is a bummer. I hope they upgrade to 16:9 for the next gen.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Waiting for Hardware 4.0

Not enough here to drop 300 bucks for a new phone PLUS pay the ETF on my existing contract. Even if they waived the ETF, I wouldn't buy this.

The OS sounds very nice.
The hardware seem like a huge disappointment when compared to all that was speculated. But then that is typical when expectations run so far ahead of reality.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I really like GMaps, but I will purchasing Tom Tom based on if there is a subscription price, etc.

Spotlight is something that I will use all the time. Just user preference... ;)

Wouldn't it just be easier for AT&T to make Telenav available?

I purchased Garmin Mobile for the blackberry Storm. I eventually ended up junking that app in favor of the installed VZ Navigator. $10/month, or $240 for the life of a 2 year contract.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR