Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

3 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Question new to iPhone and NEEDING HELP - am I SOL?

I know absolutely nothing about iPhones since I have been a BlackBerry user for the last few years so please excuse my ignorance.

I received an iPhone 3G from a friend because they have moved on to the iPhone 4. What I have is an un-activated, firmware 4.2.1, restored to manufacture settings, non-jailbroken phone.

After reading through many websites and watching several youtube videos I tried to hacktivate/jailbreak the phone with absolutely no luck.

What I'm finding is that I cannot turn the phone on/off with the sleep/wake button. I can press it down but I never get the off slider button on the screen. This is making it extremely hard for me to get the phone into DFU mode.

I ordered an "AT&T Sim Card Brand New Unactivated" hoping that would get me past the hacktivation phase; I'm waiting on delivery.

I get this message when connecting to iTunes and this message on the phone screen.

I'm starting to feel like there's no hope for this phone. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by irvagirl; 09-14-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: title change