cannot restore iPhone 3G

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I have a US (ATT) iPhone 3G running 3.1.2 that I unlocked via blackra1n to use in the UK. It worked fine for weeks before leaving for my trip, so I happily turned it off for my flight to England. When I went into a store to buy a UK SIM to use in the phone, it wouldn't turn on... just kept rebooting. I've tried to restore it on several different computers (including putting it in DFU mode), and it always fails during restore. At this point, I'm not even concerned about using it unlocked (I ended up buying a cheap pay-as-you-go phone over here), but I want to return it to normal working order for use when I get back home to the US... help!!??? =(

en0c

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
If you are trying to restore it to OS 3.1.2, then you will get errors, because Apple doesn't allow you to restore or downgrade to OS's other then 3.1.3. You can only downgrade or restore to 3.1.2, if you've saved your ECID SHSH on saurik's server.

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I've tried restoring with a copy of 3.1.2 I had downloaded before the jailbreak. When that didn't work, I tried restoring with the default 3.1.3 that itunes wants to pull down. Both fail. I'm not sure what you mean by the ECID SHSH part (sorry for the n00bness... Any tips on how I should proceed?

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Oh, and I should point out: from what I've read, I have a feeling that I might be screwed in terms of trying to jailbreak and unlock this phone. I'm not worried about that, though. I just want to be able to get it to turn on again and be usable once I get back home to the US (even if I have to leave it in ATT-locked mode). My only reason for jailbreaking/unlocking was to be able to use it with a foreign SIM card -- but I won't be doing that anymore since I've already bought another phone to use during my trip.

I'm mostly worried that I won't have a working phone to use on ATT once I get home... =(

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
...and one more thing (I feel like Steve Jobs saying that): a forum search of the ECID SHSH did help explain it to me, so thanks for clue-ing me into the right keywords to search for... Unfortunately, I made the horrible mistake of not backing that up to Saurik's server before my jailbreak. =( But again, I just want to restore to factory default (if at all possible), even if that means I'm stopping myself from re-jailbreaking. I only hope that there is a way to do this in my phone's current state.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73