Noob tmobile iphone 3g question

johnyakimo1855

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
Ok firstg I would like to apologize in advane for posting this because I am sure it has been covered. I tried to search but it said it couldn't find a post of used too common of a word. Ok, with that being said. I am wanting to get a Iphone 3g for me and my wife (2 of them) I knw that the 3g speed will not work but my questions are as follows:

1) Even though it will not work on Tmobiles 3g will it revert back to their (Tmobile) EDGE network and work as it should with EDGE speeds or can I set it to do so?

2) We have a friend that runs a AT&T store and he has paniced my wife telling her that after I unlock and jailbreak them and as soon as I download itunes that AT&T will trace the phone and lock it out (HUH!) Is this true? If so what software do I use to get around it?

3) This is kind of a repeat of the above. What unlocking and jailbreak software do you guys recommend (i plan on installing the new 3.0.1 software)?

4) anything to look out for on purchasing 2 used Iphones?

Thanks for the input and I apologize for the repost just couldn't use the search engine for some reason. Any additional input will be appreciated. I look forward to the comments.

Last edited:

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
1. You have to go into the settings and turn off 3G
2. No only if you update or restore it will take your unjailbreak and unlock
3. Jailbreaking lets you download 3rd party apps unlocking lets you use T-Mobile

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
1) Even though it will not work on Tmobiles 3g will it revert back to their (Tmobile) EDGE network and work as it should with EDGE speeds or can I set it to do so?

As was mentioned, you will need to turn 3G off.

2) We have a friend that runs a AT&T store and he has paniced my wife telling her that after I unlock and jailbreak them and as soon as I download itunes that AT&T will trace the phone and lock it out (HUH!) Is this true? If so what software do I use to get around it?

He is full of crap. AT&T cannot tell there is an iPhone on someone elses network. You will be fine.

3) This is kind of a repeat of the above. What unlocking and jailbreak software do you guys recommend (i plan on installing the new 3.0.1 software)?

Be very careful with software updates. You will have to use the unlock, and while it does work with 3.0.1, you can count on 3.1 breaking it.

You will jailbreak with redsn0w and unlock with ultrasn0w (you will need to add the dev-teams ultrasn0w repo to cydia, when the time comes).

4) anything to look out for on purchasing 2 used Iphones?

Make sure they are legit, do everything you can to protect yourself.

johnyakimo1855

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
thanks for all the help. Where do I find the redsn0w and the other software. Also what do you mena by protect myself on the Iphone purchases what is it that I am looking out for. Thanks again

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Dev-Team Blog

You can get the link to redsn0w torrent from that site, whichever you need. Ultrasn0w is installed through cydia (a program installed on your phone during the jailbreak process). You will need to add the ultrasn0w repo to cydia and then it will be available to install. Telling you exactly how, before you even have a phone in your hands, isn't really productive, and a search will give you all the help you need anyway.

mgul1976

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I just unlocked a 3g and I use tmobile. Everything works perfectly. Tmobile has also been super helpful with any questions I have. And yes they know about me using an iphone unlocked. If in doubt, hit up tmobile

johnyakimo1855

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
well let me get my feet wet and then maybe I will upgrade but I need to make sure it will stand up to my abuse also my wife does NOT need one so I am not going to get her one but if I really like the 3g I will look into a 3gs but will it be just as fast on Tmobile without the 3G apability? Thanks

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
The 3GS is faster than the 3G in every way. You will not notice a difference in your surfing though. Edge is Edge is edge, the 3GS cannot make it faster. Even the faster rendering of the 3GS doesn't help, the 3G is waiting for the data on edge. But you would benefit from the extra speed of the 3GS in every other aspect of the phone, also you can get mush larger storage sizes.

Edited to add...if you have any possible intention of getting a 3GS, you will need to make sure you get one on 3.0 or 3.0.1. Once 3.1 comes out...and phones are shipping with 3.1 on them....you will not be able to jailbreak or unlock it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen