iPhone 3g 3.0 - slow to respond to home button

FTLOSM

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I both have the iPhone 3G's from att and both are upgraded to the 3.0 software, mine has 2x the apps 6 pages worth, and still runs fantastic and smooth, yet hers with less apps runs sluggish at best.

We have tried various restore points, hard resets (dual button), even removing the last 4-5 apps she installed (altho none really seemed to cause the issues immediately after installation).

Yet when shes in almost any application from email, contacts, etc she's stuck there like a hangup, the home button doesn't seem to exit her back to her main screen, generally she has to sit and hold to force a hard stop to the application vs a quick push to get back to mainscreen.

She doesn't use the browser features and does not have bluetooth on, wifi is enabled, push is enabled at 1 hr mark, she keeps the phone plugged in and updated thru itunes, no movies podcasts music on there to cause issues really, just for some reason hers performs very sluggishly slow once in a program to return to main screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill :)

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Did you actually try a restore as a new phone from iTunes? It will remove all of your media and apps but it should be worth it to fix the problem. Do not restore from a back up in this case as you glitch may be in that backup file.

FTLOSM

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
At first we were using restore option, but tonight went with the start new phone option but still getting same issue.

We did the restore process in a vicious loop (restore, phone restarted itunes says restore needed etc etc), then we did the setup as new phone option, it seemed to wipe everything out, started with a very basic bar of content then it appeared to reload her apps too (which surprised me as I thought we would have to redo those one by one), but i still think we did it right tho cuz her mail settings were all wiped out too so we had to reenter those.

Anyways even after that start as new phone thing once she opens an app (almost anything) the normal home button that gets you back to the main screens doesn't respond or is very sluggish (takes 3-4-5 hits to make it go back).

Pretty annoying, thinking its maybe a hardware issue altho its just one button on a phone that is less than 4 months old here, and was in a protective case (never dropped or spilled on etc) so it would have to be really bad luck to have a defective home button i would think.

Any other suggestions? I should take it to an apple store vs att store right?

I did buy one protection plan thing with the 2 phones figured id activate it if needed to get one of them fixed but never thought it would be hers (figured id mess mine up) but I haven't dug into that plan yet i think it was about $70ish but hate to blow that out (think it was a one time use thing) on something that might be software related or fixable from home vs hardware (button bad)?

Bill

CatSkwared

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
I started having the same issue yesterday and its progressively gotten worse. I'm trying the restore option as well before contacting Apple.

What did you end up doing?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I would take it to a Apple Store they will probably replace it.

This really shouldn't be everyone's first thought whenever something goes wrong. Apple stores see this way too much, and given apple puts customers first, if people keep doing this, you're going to see repair/retail prices go through the roof.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
OP, I had this happen, and the key it to set it up as a NEW iPhone, do NOT put a backup on it. Make sure you have your contacts saved to SIM or to your computer (I use mobileme for syncing).

A lot of times, it's a file or something that went wonky that causes the lag, and whenever you restore from a backup, you just bring the issue with it. Restore as a brand new phone, then resync your music and everything.

If you have a PC, to preserve contacts you can always use outlook to store them, on a mac, address book, etc... there's several ways to keep basic things like contacts.

But I'd suggest a complete wipe and not restoring from any type of backup and see what that does.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2