cydia problem after jailbreak 3.0 on iphone 3g

francoo

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
so i jailbreaked 3.0 for my iphone 3g , got it running, then i had some trouble to update cydia before installing ultrasn0w, so i had to try a couple of times but got it unlocked. a coulple days after i wanted to install cycorder, but i couldnt at the first try, but i got it running. now when i open cydia i get a red label saying that cydia doesnt know which version it is and so on. after reading about the problem, they recommend to rejailbreak the iphone and uncheck icy. but my question is, will i loose my itunes apps i've downloaded, the cydia ones, will i loose ultrasn0w and lock my iphone up again, and loose my contact info? have anyone had this problem before? please help, cydia is working really bad

blkcadi

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Yup, Icy is causing the problem. You will not lose your iTunes apps or contacts, they will return when you sync the phone after you restore and re-jailbreak .
You will lose all 3rd party apps from Cydia also.
You will have to restore to a fresh copy of 3.0 then re-jailbreak and unlock with ultrasn0w then sync.

francoo

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
do i really need to re jailbreak? i mean i have it unlocked and running. there isnt any other way of doing it? and do i have to restore it first? isnt there a risk of bricking my iphone or mesing the baseband? do i use redsn0w 0.72 or 0.8?

Last edited:

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
1) You can't mess up the baseband... ultrasn0w works with the baseband that comes with 3.0, and 3.0 is still the newest version available.

2) If you were going to jailbreak again, you should just use redsn0w 0.8 as this supports all iPhone and iPod Touch versions.

If you have SSH installed and working, perhaps you could just download the latest version of Cydia as a deb file and install it via SSH.

The command to install a deb is "dpkg -i FILENAME", and of course you need to be logged in as root.

If SSH is not installed, perhaps you could use iPhone Browser to drop the file into whichever folder will install deb files on reboot. I'm not sure which folder that is, but perhaps someone can chime in with that info.

Disclaimer though... I cannot promise these ideas will work. They might even make things worse, as these are untested ideas. With that said, make sure to do a backup before trying these.

Good luck