Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

17 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Default Question about charging iPhone 3G S

Quick question, I just purchased a 3G S and so far it is a great device. It's not quite the email machine that my Curve was but the other million features it has more than makes up for it.

For my first charge, I powered off the phone and then plugged it in. A few minutes later I started receiving text messages. It's almost as if it powered back on once I plugged it in. Is this normal? If so, should I just leave it on when I get ready to charge it? Will leaving it on while charging inflict any long-term damage?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

Turning the screen off (tapping the button at the top once) doesn't actually turn the iPhone off...just puts it to sleep. Perfectly safe for it to be on while it's charging. I even take calls while it's in the cradle.
    iPhone Intermediate

167 Posts

I sometimes go for weeks without shutting down my phone. My 3G is almost a year old with no problems.
    iPhone Elite

2,432 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

I never turn the phone off, it takes a long time and I find it wastes battery power to turn off and on especially while jailbroken
    App and photo editor

1,456 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts

Yes, if you plug in the iPhone when it's off, it automatically turns back on. There is nothing wrong with charging the phone while it's on.