iPhone 3G S GPS not working!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone 3G had no problem locating my exact position. But, my iPhone 3G S is having a lot of problems. It gives me streets that are blocks away, within walking distance but definitely not where I am.

A friend of mine is having the exact same problem and he lives in a completely different area.

We have both tried turning off the 3G radio to no avail.

Is anyone else having this problem??

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes but I used it in a car today and it was quite a few dozen meters off of my actual location. Really annoying.

Obviously otherwise it wouldn't even give me a precise location..

Sorry, you gotta ask...ya know?

I would say take it back and get it replaced. Mine will find me inside my house within a couple of feet.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sorry, you gotta ask...ya know?

I would say take it back and get it replaced. Mine will find me inside my house within a couple of feet.

More than likely there is nothing wrong with the phone. For whatever reason, maybe depending on where you are you may get some mixed results are it's within the software. But again, it's not the phone. (or the changes are very slim it is - but if it makes you feel better, exchange it)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Well I have a year to exchange it with apple so I mean it's not a big deal right now. I'll just wait for software updates and see if that fixes the issue.

iberroa

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 3GS GPS Problems locating location

I'm having the same exact problem. My iPhone 3G had no problem pinpointing my location, even out in the middle of nowhere in upstate New York. Now my iPhone 3GS can't locate me in West Palm Beach Florida where there's excellent 3G coverage. I hope Apple will fix this with iPhone OS 3.1. I actually had to go back to using my Navigon GPS unit. :mad: :(

Avrum68

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm having the same exact problem. My iPhone 3G had no problem pinpointing my location, even out in the middle of nowhere in upstate New York. Now my iPhone 3GS can't locate me in West Palm Beach Florida where there's excellent 3G coverage. I hope Apple will fix this with iPhone OS 3.1. I actually had to go back to using my Navigon GPS unit. :mad: :(

I'm having the same problem with GPS & 3GS. So, so erratic. When it works, it's lovely.

elastomania

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
solution for not working GPS on iPhone 3GS

I have been having the exact same issue with the GPS. I even got my phone replaced. The GPS worked on the new phone for a while but a day later I the problem returned -- the blue dot never properly located my position.

I tried the instruction in the post below and it seemed to completely resolve my GPS issues:

iphonematters.blogspot.com/2009/07/iphone-3gs-fix-for-not-working-gps.html

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
it's a combination of GPS, cellular and wifi triangulation.

what do you think happens if the cellular portion of the location service happens to be down or not available? Inside a city "it was quite a few dozen meters off of my actual location" is within the tolerance for GPS only. You were running off GPS, not A-GPS.

The link elastomania has some good things to try.

lydia331

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't work, you were apparently a special case.

Here's how you fix it:

- Go to settings, general, auto-lock, change it from 1 Minute to NEVER
- Go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings (THIS WILL REBOOT YOUR IPHONE)
- Go outside, in a clear place with NO tree's, buildings, or anything blocking your view of the sky
- Open "MAPS", click NO on all that wi-fi crap, then click the little gps icon, and let it sync up with the satellites (this could take a few minutes)

It will work.... unless you don't do something right. You do not need to sync up with itunes or restore in itunes first.

Let me know if it works or not, i just tried it on my girlfriends phone and it worked great after that. Also, a few other people with the same issue reported success as well.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't work, you were apparently a special case.

Here's how you fix it:

- Go to settings, general, auto-lock, change it from 1 Minute to NEVER
- Go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings (THIS WILL REBOOT YOUR IPHONE)
- Go outside, in a clear place with NO tree's, buildings, or anything blocking your view of the sky
- Open "MAPS", click NO on all that wi-fi crap, then click the little gps icon, and let it sync up with the satellites (this could take a few minutes)

It will work.... unless you don't do something right. You do not need to sync up with itunes or restore in itunes first.

Let me know if it works or not, i just tried it on my girlfriends phone and it worked great after that. Also, a few other people with the same issue reported success as well.

Hmm good info but might have helped 2 years ago :) just saying prob don't have that phone anymore

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox