Tethering with iPhone 3G over USB

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Just thought I would make a post here... Im posting this from my MacBook tethered with my iPhone 3G. The connection is super fast, just as fast as most Wi-Fi hotspots I've been to. Anybody who has been weary about tethering should go out and do it.

I'm on ATT using the hack posted on Engadget the other day. No jailbreak needed. :)

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I will pay for the tethering option here in the UK but excuse me for being dense but why wont tethering work over 3G, EDGE or GSM?

Obviously a GSM or EDGE connection on lap top would probably be a miserable experience.. 3 G would be tolerable right?

Surely an 'everywhere' tethering option would be better than just WiFi?

Can someone spell it out for me?

Thanks...

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I will pay for the tethering option here in the UK but excuse me for being dense but why wont tethering work over 3G, EDGE or GSM?
What makes you think it doesn't work over 3G... That's the whole point of tethering...

Obviously a GSM or EDGE connection on lap top would probably be a miserable experience.. 3 G would be tolerable right?
Miserable... probably. 3G is very good for tethering (not amazing, but very good).

Surely an 'everywhere' tethering option would be better than just WiFi?
Why would you tether to use WiFi, if your laptop doesn't have built in WiFi you need to get a new laptop.

Can someone spell it out for me?
I tried to...

Thanks...
Welcome.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Why would you tether to use WiFi, if your laptop doesn't have built in WiFi you need to get a new laptop.

Say you want to go into Starbucks wanting to work for a few hours in the proximity of

A) coffee b) pastries c) babes d) a Wifi connection

But you haven't paid for a WiFi subscription to access the WiFi in Starbucks with your laptop.

Enter iPhone tethering..

Switch on phone (which) has free WiFi access in Starbucks and other WiFi hotSpots as part of its monthly subscription deal) activate tethering and a Bluetooth connection to your Laptop. Badda bing! You get "Free WiFi" on your laptop and can spend the afternoon blazing away on a full size keyboard, getting tweaked out on espresso.

Back the GSM / EDGE / 3G connection question. Nowhere on my networks (O2, UK)documentation does it mention 3G it just refers to "WiFi tethering"

It's early days over at O2 for their tethering iPhone "bolt on" option (3 days old to be exact) so they may have goofed in their website description text...

Can anyone confirm 3G or EDGE tethering as operational on O2 UK?

Many thanks,

Last edited:

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
OK o2 staff are gradually getting up to speed.

On my second attempt to order the phone from them (so thats about 7 calls, some abandoned being left in a call queue that was costing me a fortune..) they again said "what?" whan I asked for the bolt on tethering option.. I had to explain it to him and he kept me on hold while someone there explained it to him, then he finally found it on his system and added it to my order.

He described it as 3 MB 3G download per month ?9.00 and unlimited WiFi

So there is SOME progress..

(do you think it will work over EDGE too?)

It's going to take 3- 5 days to credit check & process my business tariff order (I was on the same network less than a year ago.. :eek:)

I think tethering is cheaper on the business tariff - but god help anyone that wants to ask questions about it - be prepared to instead spend time educating them what the term 'tethering' means..

Anyway this is all standard BS for the UK. When they opened a new airport here a while ago they were to stingy to take the time to have a trial run / educate their staff - so day 1 was total disaster and the following 2 or 3 weeks were full on misery for travelers.. You get used to it but man is it annoying...

So - anyone tethering yet in the UK?

Hows it going?

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone know of successful tethering with an iPhone 2G running 3.0? I've installed the patch and I don't even see the option on the 2G.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox