Do you think there will be iPhone 3G S only apps coming?

Do you think there will iPhone 3G S only apps?

• Yes

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Well now with the beefed up CPU / RAM in the new iPhone, do you think we will start to see apps (most likely games) requiring iPhone 3G S?

Last edited:

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I saw an article stating we might see something similar. Basically one app, but a different version loads depending on the device. Are their apps that are 3G only? I assume anything requiring GPS is 3G only, currently.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
It's inevitable. It raises a good question though regarding ongoing support for backwards compatibility. How long will Apple continue to support the first generation iPhone?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I do. I think game developers are gonna push the device to make great games that the 3G just won't be able to run smoothly. I'm not sure if apple will allow a separation in the app store (though I think they will) but deveopers will at least include in thier descriptiong that the 3G S is recommended and that the 3G will likely lag or crash.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I do. I think game developers are gonna push the device to make great games that the 3G just won't be able to run smoothly. I'm not sure if apple will allow a separation in the app store (though I think they will) but deveopers will at least include in thier descriptiong that the 3G S is recommended and that the 3G will likely lag or crash.

Well since you have to activate your iPhone with iTunes, the iTunes store should know which device you have and not let you download something made for iPhone 3G S or at least give you plenty of pop up warnings.

The thing is if you are game developer you want to go after the millions of devices that are out there, not just the 3G S so not sure if they will invest money into building a 3G S only game until more and more people upgrade.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Video Related for sure

Anything app that makes use of the video camera will for sure be restricted to the 3Gs.

However, Apple might fall back to their old ways of not allowing Apps that duplicate functionality already built into the phone to avoid sales of apps that can't be used on specific phones.

Either that or iTunes store has to not allow purchase of these based on your device.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Well the thing is theres TONS of pic editing apps for after you take the pics , so I would def see some video editing apps where we can do things like maybe add titles and things to our movies :)

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
@shutter no way. Apple will not allow that.

I tend to agree as video is going to be one of the big selling points of the 3GS, but there was at least one developer that thought it was possible to do on 2.2.1 APIs, they did get rejected, but it didn't seem to be for violating current (2.2.1 at the time) APIs, but for using "future" APIs. Which kinda sorta shows it might be available in the 3.0 APIs.

Edited to add a link to the article about the rejected video cam app.

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It's probably going to happen before Christmas. Apple would probably love to see that happen. The reason is that they would see an increase in 3G(S) sales as consumers would have to purchase the new phone for these games and apps that require not only the new processing and ram speed (as this may not play a big factor), but for the OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Eh, I don't know if Apple would alienate customers. That's my only reasoning for saying no.

Apple still supports old OS versions, and tries to be careful with their OSes so older computers can run them, I don't see why they wouldn't follow the same trend w/ the iphone.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Eh, I don't know if Apple would alienate customers. That's my only reasoning for saying no.

Apple still supports old OS versions, and tries to be careful with their OSes so older computers can run them, I don't see why they wouldn't follow the same trend w/ the iphone.

Well their OS still supports the 1st gen device. This is more about 3rd party apps. I see it the same way I couldn't play Crysis on my 3 year old PC a while back.

alawson84

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
It is basically a forgone conclusion based on the 2.0 support that the 3G s will offer. I'm excited to see when someone tries to push the new iPhone to the limit and create a really detailed app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234