Official TiPb Standing in Line for iPhone 3G S Thread

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Hey all,

This will be my third iPhone and every year I go to my ATT store at about midnight and camp it out for a little get together with some local people.

Thought I would start a thread of people who are NOT buying it online and planning on going in.

My first question is will the stores have them on the 19th and will they allow the selling of them in the morning as they have done the passed 2 years?

Has anyone called an ATT store yet?

I will call mine tomorrow and ask.

I also noticied that you can pre order and have it reserved at a store?

If this is true this would be the fastest way to get one :)
I'm going to pre order mine then go wait in line and pick it up....

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The 3gs won't be a big hit like the first two iphones. That $99 3g will eat into it's sells.

Don't be too sure about that. I thought the same thing last year since the only improvements were 3G, GPS and casing. I was dead wrong. People will be lining up next Friday for sure. No matter what Apple does with the iPhone - people will buy it.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I will be going to the South Beach store in Miami to take pictures and what not for my blog. I'm not even getting a phone until July 12th so I can get the full discount, but my girlfriend will be buying one on launch day since her iPhone 3G was lost/stolen like 2 months ago. I'm thinking the line will not be as crazy as last year on July 11th due to all the preorders, but I'll be there to find out.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I'll be waiting in line in manassas park va :)

Yeah bad ash is right , on paper technically this is a bigger update . With the 3G we got 3 things. 3G, GPS and a new body thats it. This year we are getting way more....

Can't wait!!

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this year is as big as last year's upgrade from the first iteration of the iPhone. Number one, when they bring out a new phone, the most important thing that creates a difference in everyone's minds is the DESIGN. This they did with the 3G but not this time around, which at least gives the impression that there is not much of a difference, even though there may be. Trust me, the 3G S will NOT sell as much as the 3G did. Watch... you'll see by next year when the 4G comes out, if they indeed call it that. The buzz is NOT the same this year for the 3G S as it was for the 3G.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't think this year is as big as last year's upgrade from the first iteration of the iPhone. Number one, when they bring out a new phone, the most important thing that creates a difference in everyone's minds is the DESIGN. This they did with the 3G but not this time around, which at least gives the impression that there is not much of a difference, even though there may be. Trust me, the 3G S will NOT sell as much as the 3G did. Watch... you'll see by next year when the 4G comes out, if they indeed call it that. The buzz is NOT the same this year for the 3G S as it was for the 3G.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree. It will still sell a ton. The first day so many people were ordering it jacked up Apple's site and you could not even order... The only reason there may not be as big of lines as last year is because last year you could not order online and have it shipped directly. Don't make the mistake of thinking there won't be lines.

I don't care what people say now, if they will upgrade or not - in the end they will.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Yup, I agree with Ash

Look simply put by saying something like design matters is calling a lot of people dumb. Yes it would be cool for a new body BUT if the current one is fine why change it?

In ALL honesty when I bought the 3G I had a certain medium to high level of disappointment because there weren't enough internal upgrades to the iPhone

Back then I would have loved to see a faster CPU and video, heck I was screaming for video at last years WWDC but we never got it, this is by far the biggest upgrade yet, when we combine the 3.0 software with the new 3Gs there will be literally no talking points other mobile owners can use to say "oh well this is better then the iPhone because of this"

We've covered a lot of "lacks" this time around

I think I've got this whole "3Gs disappointment" thing figured out

I THINk people are so butt hurt because ATT won't let them upgrade for a cheap price that they are lashing out and saying it's a bad phone and trolling forums an comments and making excuses as to why this is not good

I mean I literally saw some people say, "better camera ?who cares I can go buy a new camera"

Ummm isn't that the whole point here people so we don't walk around with a
Phone
Mp3 player
And a camera?

Don't step back in time step forward

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I can proudly say that I will not be doing that this year. My upgrade isn't until 7/12, so I will be waiting the month to save a few hundred dollars...

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I think the name itself speaks volumes: iPhone to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3G S. The "S" sounds like an afterthought to me. Apple said themselves they wanted a few of these things on the 3G but they basically ran out of time.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Look simply put by saying something like design matters is calling a lot of people dumb. Yes it would be cool for a new body BUT if the current one is fine why change it?

I don't agree with this. There are a lot of people out there who care what the device looks like and that is fine, but in no way does it make them look "dumb". Many people look at it and say it's the same! To each their own but in this world, like I said in my post yesterday on the front page - looks matter. Ask anyone who works in a AT&T or Apple store and they will tell you just how many people think it's the same.

Now if I took that quote in the wrong way, then I apologize.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I think the name itself speaks volumes: iPhone to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3G S. The "S" sounds like an afterthought to me. Apple said themselves they wanted a few of these things on the 3G but they basically ran out of time.

The name actually goes along with a old Apple computer that had a S after it's name. The full name escapes me at the moment. Just read about it the other day. Think it was Gruber talking about it.

And I never heard that quote from Apple saying they ran out of time, can you provide a link?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
They should have called it iPhone 3G C, since it's the 3rd phone. Kind of like my Apple II c I had way back when :D

About not selling as much I doubt this. I have a feeling the lines might not be quite as long due to the preorder and being able to get it on June 19th without having wait in like 5 hours+++.

The iPhone has been selling like hot cakes, so just b/c you have a 3G and don't want to upgrade doesn't mean there aren't others that due. The big sales will come from 1st gen users upgrading and just lots of new people coming to the iPhone from other non iPhones. I mean even my Mom is going to get one in September when she is eligible for the $299 price on the 32GB!!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Ash. This phone will sell. If the lines are smaller it is only because of the many many people that bought online, like me.

And, as many 3G owners have already done, after the initial disappointment of not meeting all the rumors, people will slow down think about it, then order their 3Gs's;)

Gennew

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Which is easiest, pre-ordering at an ATT or Apple store? I pre-ordered at my local Apple store, but I hear that ATT will open up at 7am only for pre-orders and will have another line for walk-ins. Should I switch my order to ATT? I don't want to wait in one huge line with those who didn't at my Apple store if I pre-ordered. Is going to an Apple store a bad idea?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen