The official: Should I Buy an iPhone 3G Now Thread

I_magination

May 16, 2009
Visit site
SHOULD i wait help?

i want an iphone so bad, and Its so hard for me to keep from buying one. i restrain myself everyday its starting to hurt. Do we really think a 32 gb is comming out in june? or should i just go buy one now and relieve myself, i sure would want to miss out on the fm tuner so i can listen to coast to coast am on it every night

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Should she wait!?

Hey guys just a quick question. My gf has a HTC touch pro from sprint and its having a ton of problems. lagging, some features arent working correctly, that sort of stuff. she hates the battery life too. But anyways, ill get with the question. She really likes my iphone 3g and sees that it works perfectly, no problems. i got her an ipod touch a few months ago and shes in love with that. She wants to switch to the iphone but since its so close to WWDC I told her she should just wait and see what the next iphone has to bring. You think thats a good idea? or do you think she should just go ahead, cancel sprint and get with AT&T and get the iphone? (since this is the iphone blog i hope no one brings up the palm pre, she doesnt want that)

only thing that sucks is now we are stuck with an ipod touch lol

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Definitely wait. Because then you would be a new customer. If you jumped in right now and became an AT&T customer, it would delay your chances to buy the new iPhone at the new customer price.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone. But doesn't apple do it where if u have a contract and u get the new one u just start over on the contract. No cancel fee and u get new customer price?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone. But doesn't apple do it where if u have a contract and u get the new one u just start over on the contract. No cancel fee and u get new customer price?

No. This is a basically an AT&T decision. Last year, yes, previous iPhone users qualified for the upgrade price, but that may not happen this year. The first iPhone was not subsidized by AT&T, the 3G is. Basically, AT&T banks on you paying for the subsidy with the 2 year contract. Allowing iPhone 3Gs to upgrade early would mean they were cutting your contract in half and you essentially didn't pay them back for the subsidy.

All that to say that we don't know how they are going to handle it. But don't be surprised or upset if 3G owners don't qualify for upgrades. Either way, if you buy a 3G now, there is no way that you'll qualify for an upgrade to a new iPhone anyway. They will probably have a date set that you had to purchase you iPhone by in order to qualify.

BAGTEVZ#IM

May 19, 2009
Visit site
I have a verizon BB Storm and a Vodafone IPhone 3G I also have a retired IPhone 1st Gen And i use my iphone more then i do my main line(BB Storm) I recomend the iphone 3G

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hey MrMikeh:

Your answer to Number 4 was disingenuous at best.

The iphone is the single most troublesome cell phone ever invented. It will crash. It will brick. At least 25% of customers have serious problems updating the OS every release. My company has 4 lines of service, and we have had 7 total iPhones.
You need only read some of the 2000 + Post threads on the official Apple forums to find this out.

The offsetting factor is that Apple has stood fore-square behind the phone, often replacing them two or three times for the same customer.

phrint

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was holding out for the 3rd gen phone but I dropped my first gen iPhone in the john back in February of this year. I tried every single thing I could to get it to dry out with no luck. I had to get a 3G and I do not regret it. It is an excellent phone and a great improvement over the first gen. I don't think that the features rumored on the third gen would get me to upgrade over the 3G I have now. But of course, as with all gadgets, I will get the urge to have one whether it is a huge improvement or not.

I am looking forward to the 3.0 software and would have been mad if the third gen was not released and I still had my first gen. I would have had to upgrade to a 3G anyway to get MMS and stereo bluetooth with MMS being the most important feature to me.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad I saw this tread before I posted my own. Me and my fiance are getting new phones soon and I'm really considering the iphone 3g but I have a few questions.

1. Should I want till after WWDC to purchase my phone?
  2. Do you think MMS will be supported anytime soon?
  3. Can I send pics at all?
  4. What is the best speed dial app? If you use them
  5. I don't think I live in a 3g area, is EDGE really that bad?
  6. Is the iphone the best phone you've owned?

Thanks in advance guys

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm glad I saw this tread before I posted my own. Me and my fiance are getting new phones soon and I'm really considering the iphone 3g but I have a few questions.
  1. Should I want till after WWDC to purchase my phone?
  2. Do you think MMS will be supported anytime soon?
  3. Can I send pics at all?
  4. What is the best speed dial app? If you use them
  5. I don't think I live in a 3g area, is EDGE really that bad?
  6. Is the iphone the best phone you've owned?
Thanks in advance guys

1. I would, it's only a couple weeks away.
2. MMS will be supported in the 3.0 software due to be released in "summer"
3. As of now, you can send pics through email or onto social networking sites like facebook, twitter, and myspace through apps. Texting photos is MMS. See 2.
4. I don't use them. iPhone favorites is good enough for me.
5. If you've never used 3G, EDGE is wonderful. But being on 3G and having to go back to EDGE is terrible. Kind of like dial-up... remember how cool it was? It was awesome until we experienced DSL and faster.
6. Yes, by far

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm gonna wait and see if apple announces anything at WWDC which is looking more and more likely as we get closer!!! I can't wait. I feel like its Christmas all over again!

May 18, 2009
Visit site
1. I would, it's only a couple weeks away.
2. MMS will be supported in the 3.0 software due to be released in "summer"
3. As of now, you can send pics through email or onto social networking sites like facebook, twitter, and myspace through apps. Texting photos is MMS. See 2.
4. I don't use them. iPhone favorites is good enough for me.
5. If you've never used 3G, EDGE is wonderful. But being on 3G and having to go back to EDGE is terrible. Kind of like dial-up... remember how cool it was? It was awesome until we experienced DSL and faster.
6. Yes, by far

What is EDGE going to be like compared to my wifi connection? will I be able to play games when I'm not at home on wifi? I think its actually going to be very rare that I'm going to be on 3g since I live in the sticks. Is EDGE going to be as slow as "dial-up" ?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
What is EDGE going to be like compared to my wifi connection? will I be able to play games when I'm not at home on wifi? I think its actually going to be very rare that I'm going to be on 3g since I live in the sticks. Is EDGE going to be as slow as "dial-up" ?

Yes, you'll still be able to play games and such. Most game don't require an internet connection anyway. You will notice a huge difference between EDGE and wifi, edge is definitely much slower when using safari. But here's the deal, how many people used and still use the original iPhone and absolutely love it? A LOT (real scientific, I know). I don't think you'll be remotely disappointed with the phone even if you rarely get to utilize 3G.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen