The official: Should I Buy an iPhone 3G Now Thread

NicolaG

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Should I Buy?

So many people have been posting separate threads asking the question, should I buy an iPhone 3G now?, This is now the official thread for that discussion.

All the current threads are now merged into this single thread. >>>>END OF BAD ASH EDIT>>>>

I realise that a new iPhone is imminent but I am at the end of my current contract and want a new phone. Is the current iPhone still a good option? Bearing in mind I can get it for ?60 at the moment?? Any thoughts appreciated?

Last edited by a moderator:

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 3G is an excellent phone and will only get better with the 3.0 software upgrade this summer. If you can wait until summer I would recommend it, even if you just geyt a prepaid phone to tide you over, but if you can't wait, the current iPhone will not disappoint you.

NicolaG

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your reply

I am worried about cost to be honest. If the new phone will be back up to ?250-300 then I am not sure I can justify it. Whereas I can afford the iPhone 3G now...

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I was in the same position.

O2 advised me to hang on until at least OS 3.0 is released (June?). In the meantime I've changed over to "Simplicity" - for ?14.69 per month I get 300 mins and 600 texts. There is also ?9.79 per moth = 150 min and 300 texts.

These are monthly contracts, so, when the time comes to get the iPhone, there will be next to nothing to pay in the way of a penalty for the change of tariff.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the iPhone OS 3.0 upgrade will be available for all iPhones. If you can't afford the new iPhone that may come out this summer then get the current iPhone 3G. When the 3.0 software is released just update your iPhone 3G with it through iTunes and it will be like getting a whole new phone.

MrMikeh

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Thinking of getting an iPhone....

Hey People, Been looking for a decent iPod Comm Site and this seems perfect!

First of all I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum!

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting an iPhone. I'm not fussed about a new model coming out and would be happy with the current model.

I plan to go on the o2 contract in the UK.

I just have a few questions first....!

1. I already have an 80gig iPod Classic synced with my iTunes. What will happen with the iPhone when I plug it in?

2. I have a wireless set up in my house for the internet, So can I just connect to that and browse the net etc without paying any extra costs? I would imagine so but always best to check!

3. Is 3g decent in the UK at the moment?

4. Is it known to crash at all or brick and become a paper weight?

5. Stupid question this but... I have a lot of videos on my iPod, these will work with the iPhone yes? Just cause I've heard about the no video recording option, But I assume thats just for the camera thats built in.

6. Does the screen scratch easy or is it quite durable?

7. Does it come with a stylus? Stupid to ask I know but havent read anywhere that it does!

8. Is there any limit to how many Apps I have installed or is it infinate?

9. A few friends have told me I can access the iTunes Store and buy music from it on the fly, is this true?

10. Is the reception and sound good for making phone calls? does it all come through clear?

Thats all I can think of for now and again I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post!

I look forward to your responses!

Thank You! :)

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Hey People, Been looking for a decent iPod Comm Site and this seems perfect!

First of all I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum!

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting an iPhone. I'm not fussed about a new model coming out and would be happy with the current model.

I plan to go on the o2 contract in the UK.

I just have a few questions first....!

1. I already have an 80gig iPod Classic synced with my iTunes. What will happen with the iPhone when I plug it in?

Your computer will sync with both devices separately.

2. I have a wireless set up in my house for the internet, So can I just connect to that and browse the net etc without paying any extra costs? I would imagine so but always best to check!

Yes it will connect with your home wifi for free.

3. Is 3g decent in the UK at the moment?

I can't answer this one, I'm in the US.

4. Is it known to crash at all or brick and become a paper weight?

That is not a known issue.

5. Stupid question this but... I have a lot of videos on my iPod, these will work with the iPhone yes? Just cause I've heard about the no video recording option, But I assume thats just for the camera thats built in.

The iPhone does an excellent job of playing videos.

6. Does the screen scratch easy or is it quite durable?

From what I have seen scratching is not a big issue. It seems to be easier to crack the screen than scratch it.

7. Does it come with a stylus? Stupid to ask I know but havent read anywhere that it does!

One does not use a stylus on an iPhone, one uses there fingers.

8. Is there any limit to how many Apps I have installed or is it infinate?

The iPhone will hold 148 apps at the moment, that will be increased when the 3.0 update comes out.

9. A few friends have told me I can access the iTunes Store and buy music from it on the fly, is this true?

Yes.

10. Is the reception and sound good for making phone calls? does it all come through clear?

It has been for me but I'm not in the UK and not on O2.

Thats all I can think of for now and again I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post!

I look forward to your responses!

Thank You! :)

I hope that my answers to your questions helped. I love my iPhone but it is not for everyone.

Last edited:

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, but can't see the logic for this question. On a monthly 02 contract you get unlimited web browsing. Or were you considering a pay-as-you-go?

darkpk

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Deciding to get an iphone

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum :eek:

Happened to stumble here while checking out iphones.
Well here's the thing, I've decided to get an iphone last week, so i did some researching. Found out that they will be releasing a new version near June/July of this summer, so now i'm not sure if i should hold onto my decision of getting one yet. I've heard that this 3.0 version is a really big deal to everyone here, and wanted to know if it will really make a big difference compare to the current iphone 3g.
If it is, will there be an update for the current iphone so that it will have all the funtion as the one they will be releasing in the summer.

So here i am, wanted to get some suggestions from everyone here whether i should get the iphone 3g 16gb now or wait till the summer. Right now i'm using my Nokia 5300 for a bit over 2 years, and sick of it after the sixth month of when i first purchased it, decided I didn't want to change it since it was too soon. But now, I decided to get rid of it get myself an iphone :D

zukir02

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
No one knows for sure if they will be coming out with a new one in June or July. If you really want one I say go get it, besides you can always sell it and get the new one once they release a new one.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
It's true that we don't know for sure if a next gen iPhone is coming this summer, but based on their track record, there's certainly a possibility of it happening. So if I were you I would try to hold out just couple of more months until we know for sure. Just my 2 cents.

lazerbyte

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Interested in iphone

I currently have a blackberry curve and I'm thinking about getting an iphone but I do not want to have to pay a very large deposit for the phone as my credit isn't that great and with sprint I didn't have to pay a deposit at all.

Any suggestions?

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
i recently dumped my blackberry curve and vzw contract went to at&t got a new iphone and contract :D i know there will be a new one out by the end of the summer but i will either wait till my birthday in october and ask for it from the fiance or just put a little bit away each week and buy it at retail gladly pay that much for any apple product. i use all mac computers and have every gen ipod haha :D so i am glad i didn't wait i am just mad i waited this long!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73