Are You Running Your iPhone 3G on EDGE and Why?

Are you running your iPhone 3G on EDGE and why?

• Yes, on EDGE to save battery life

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Yes, on EDGE because no 3G in my area

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Yes, on EDGE because 3G fails in my area

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • No, I'm running on 3G HSPA, baby!

Votes: 34 47.9%

• Total voters

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Right after the iPhone 3G came out, we posted a tip on how to turn off 3G and run on the older, slower EDGE standard to save battery life. Some people, who live in areas *still* lacking 3G coverage have no choice but to run on EDGE. Still others suffer so many dropped calls and other network problems they've downgraded to EDGE out of sheer frustration.

Based on the comments we received on the rumors of Apple re-releasing a new, low-end, iPhone 2G, there may be more iPhone 3G owners running on EDGE than we imagined.

So we're asking you. Who here is running his or her iPhone 3G on EDGE and why?

Let us know in the comments or head on over to the forum and make it all scientific-ish in our poll.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Edge cause no 3G where I live or work. If I am in a 3G area I will turn it on for faster internet speeds and internet + voice capability, otherwise I turn it off.

vanishingvision7

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Horrendous battery life forces me to go to EDGE.
Was planning on buying mophie then heard of the new iPhone speculations so holding off....... I torture myself >.<

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
3G finally came to my town about a month ago. Still in honeymoon stages with it. Uses more battery, but really, how long am I away from an outlet for in today's world?

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
There needs to be another option to reflect those of us who use 3G regularly but switch to EDGE when battery life is concerned. For example, Mondays are always a long day for me, so I usually turn off 3G early in the day, but I have it on most other times.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
We just got 3G in our area about a month ago. I thought I would be turning off 3G to save battery, but battery life has not been a problem. I do have a charger in my vehicle as well as at home and work. Although I don't need to use them much.

I keep 3G on due to simultaneous voice and data. I haven't had one dropped/miss call with 3G. I was missing calls with Edge since you can't have voice and data at the same time.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
A little pet peve of mine. You don't run on EDGE, your run on GSM. But never mind that.
I wish I could lock the iPhone to 3G so it would not fall back to GSM when I have perfectly good 3G coverage. You know, like I can lock my other phones to 3G.
The darn thing falls back to GSM and stays there and never goes back to 3G.

Calls sound so much better on 3G I hate to use GSM when I don't have to.

keveridge

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm in London, UK and use EDGE.

I already carry a Mobile Gum battery as a backup although rarely have to use it. 3G comes in handy for app downloads. But for the odd email, twitter or tube update, and even most web sites EDGE is fine.

I find it a decent trade-off for getting a few more hours out of my phone.

bman7163

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
I have no 3G in my area so I have 3G turned off just for that fact.

AT&T should give the end user the option to opt out of the 3G data package if they do not have 3G in their area and only charge people extra who actually want to use the 3G service.

dlnmorrow

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I use 3G where I can, I don't have any problems except when I am in the office, 3G access is a no-go in the bldg and for some reason inside my mothers house, but 2 blocks away inside my house I get 3G perfectly! Go figure.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
AT&T should give the end user the option to opt out of the 3G data package if they do not have 3G in their area and only charge people extra who actually want to use the 3G service.
That's a very good point! Of course, if you question AT&T, I'm willing to bet they'll say 3G Service is "Imminent"!! :D

elioar

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I have 3G everywhere but I have found too many spots where calls will just be dropped. My office has terrible 3G coverage, works for a while and then is gone for 2 seconds which equals dropped call.

Will SBSettings on my jailbroken phone, however, switching back to 3G when I need it is simple and fast.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't see any difference in battery life just leaving 3G turned on all the time. Even when I start doing stuff the difference is not very drastic, maybe an hour less use time.

Unless you are getting really really terrible 3G reception I don't see why you would ever turn it off. 3G all the way for me now, especially since it's now at my home and every where I go. Is there a way to turn off EDGE?

siddfinch

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm new to my phone (~5 days), have used 3G everyday, and it's about drained when I go to bed, when I charge it (Rinse and Repeat). I'm going to test putting it on EDGE when I'm not going to be using it for a while (hour+) and see where the battery is at the end of the day.

3g4UA

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I am on EDGE because out here in the boondocks there is no 3G. But when I am in cities with 3G I have experienced no problems. My battery life is slightly less, but overall it is good.

tkao2025

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
New to the forum....and I'm a new Iphone user for about a week now.

I've been on 3G until today. I'm trying out Edge only to see if battery is improved as I use push email and I keep location services on. I don't really need it unless I need to surf the web or something but other than that I use my phone for emails, checking the weather, SMS, or just using it as a regular phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73