Getting iphone 3G - Sick of Blackberry Storm

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
So, I am going to make the plunge and switch from the Blackberry Storm to the iphone 3G. I've owned the Blackberry Storm since mid-December and have learned over the last 4 months why the iphone is superior.

First of all, I have never had much problem with the Verizon-supported 4.7.75 software. I have also installed 4.7.114 v3 hybrid; no problems with that either. The phone is not "super fast" like the iphone, but I don't find it incredibly "laggy" like some have complained, either. Now, I have to qualify that: The memory management on the Blackberry Storm is horrible. Out of all of the memory on the device (1 gig internal flash and 8 gig micro-SD card) you only get 128 megs for ALL of the following: O/S, 3rd-party apps, e-mails, themes, etc. On top of that, the thing leaks memory over time... unless you reset the device at least once a day, it *will* start the run low on memory and begin to slow down.

Anyway, here is my list of why the Blackberry Storm is not as good as iphone 3G:

1. Memory management (see above) - only 128 megs for O/S, apps, e-mails, themes. This runs out quickly!
2. Blackberry App World - slow, takes up too much memory; the apps suck and are just simple things like "ring with vibe", etc. Not too many good apps, either. The ones that are good are also available for iphone.
3. The Storm interface *does* lag when the device is transmitting/receiving data.
4. The Blackberry browser sucks; javascript on it kills it - Opera Mini is good but they fail to put out a Storm-specific version... it doesn't load all of the images and zoom-in is limited. There is a 3rd-party "Bolt" browser, but they don't really seem to care about the Storm. Instead, it is more optimized for trackball (yuck!)
5. The Blackberry Storm O/S (4.7) is just old-clunky Blackberry O/S with some slapped-on touchscreen changes. Not innovative or optimized for touch-screens at all.
6. I can't view my HTML e-mails without them being all chopped-up strange.

I bought an ipod touch to test drive the waters and I am absolutely in love with it - I can't wait to switch to the iphone. I'll have to pay the Verizon ETF, but I think it is worth it. I am paying ~ $70.00 a month for a smartphone, at that price I want it to be the best. To be stuck with the Storm for another year and a half is just false economy. The ETF, though a pain, is money well spent.

vanishingvision7

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T as well, and the actual cost for ETF should be around 134.24 instead of the full 150. I think it's accredited from your previous payments and such.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the light. :)

Although, I think the iPhone also only has 128MB of runtime memory for apps etc. But it doesn't allow stuff to run in the background so it is much better.

archzinno#IM

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Heh I did the same. Got the storm the day it came out. Was jealous everytime my friends went to do something and always got it done faster then me on my phone. Not to mention the games are way better.

svnisus

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Have a Blackberry Curve that I just got and hate. Wanted an iphone but went with the Curve for some dumb reason. Will be picking up my iphone on Thursday but today saw an ad for the Storm and was sort of interested. Glad for all the info so I don't make another stupid mistake.

jolaca

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
By lack of choice i end up using Edge cause 3G is rare to work in many LA areas. I usually just turn it off unless i am really desperate to surf something really quick, but that is rare. I also got so tired of the dropouts that i figured saving battery power was more important than the rare 3G stable area.

w140king

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Definitely the majority of storm users over on the BB forum have made the upgrade to the iphone or are thinking about it. The storm i must is an alright phone but it has a ton of problems like the OS which is crapy, and the clicking screen just sucks and needs to be tweaked to work properly. This is my second iphone i have no idea why i ever made the switch to the Storm in the first place, but i must say im extremely happy i own one once again.:D

Last edited:

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
There's a bit of an Apples vs. Oranges comparison between Storm and iPhone which is why it's so easy for people to decide to switch. They're really not very much alike in a lot of ways.

The Storm is really going to be best for those who really need a Blackberry because you specifically need a BB app, BB messenger, or need to run BES or something like that. I even have one friend who found that specifically his needs for portable video are better served on the Storm. And I say, if you have to have a Blackberry, at least you have the Storm. More power to him.

But if you have a choice and don't have a specific reason to need the Storm (sticking to Verizon can also be one of them,) then most people will just find the iPhone more useful all around. The experience in whole is likely to be more entertaining and more convenient.
It's too bad you have to switch carriers. I wish Apple had gone multi-carrier so that wasn't a factor. I'm not convinced it does anyone any good to have AT&T be exclusive in the US.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There's a bit of an Apples vs. Oranges comparison between Storm and iPhone which is why it's so easy for people to decide to switch. They're really not very much alike in a lot of ways.

The Storm is really going to be best for those who really need a Blackberry because you specifically need a BB app, BB messenger, or need to run BES or something like that. I even have one friend who found that specifically his needs for portable video are better served on the Storm. And I say, if you have to have a Blackberry, at least you have the Storm. More power to him.

But if you have a choice and don't have a specific reason to need the Storm, most people will just find the iPhone more useful all around. The experience in whole is likely to be more entertaining and more convenient.

If you need a BlackBerry, the Storm is hands down the worst one you can choose. In my opinion. And you can't deny RIM was aiming for the iPhone when they made this one...

w140king

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
If you need a BlackBerry, the Storm is hands down the worst one you can choose. In my opinion. And you can't deny RIM was aiming for the iPhone when they made this one...

I second that..... the storm has to be the worst. IMO i would say that the best BB's to have are the bold and or the curve.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I did this too. I was getting increasingly frustrated with the awful OS's coming out. .75 to the .114 Hybrid I tried them all. The day I decided that it was enough (I was on .75) was a day when I really needed to communicate with my family about an illness and the thing ignored a call. Then I ignored a call when I answered. Then it froze. Battery pull. Then it spontaneously restarted. I went to the AT&T store that day.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Kind of surprised at all the Storm users jumping ship, I didn't expect this many. I tried out a Storm a friend had for all of a week for about 5 minutes, I can not see how anyone deals with that clicking screen. It's not responsive, and the clicks aren't even centered; the screen tilts to one side where you click and felt cheap. Didn't get past that part to even experience the lag I've heard so much about. My friend ditched the Storm, he got a BB Bold from AT&T. It's no iPhone but I will say compared to the Storm it's like a BMW compared to a Kia.

Last edited:

keveridge

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Stephen Fry gave the Storm a savage review in his blog and the UK press dutifully reported disseminated his scorn.

I know only one person who was unfortunately to buy one. However, iPhones are now as ubiquitous as iPods. You can't get on a Tube train in London without seeing at least half a dozen of them.

russd456

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
if i were you guys id just wait until they announce the next gen iphone in june. i would be pissed if i bought an 8 gig iphone then a month later learning that there comming out with a 32gig high res , super fast , thinner unibody iphone hd lol... just sayin

thebrain2u

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
I have a friend who's using a Storm and is also looking to switch over to an iPhone. It doesn't help that I spend all day pestering him about it. But, he does spend a majority if the time playing with my iPhone.

And agreed, for BB, the Bold and the Curve are much better phones.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Well, I did it

I started this thread saying that I was going to switch and I followed through. I am typing this on a new iPhone 3g. My storm has been decommissioned.