I HAVE RETURNED... to the iPhone 3G! - Round Robin!

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It's been a loooooong 4 weeks, with Apple dropping iPhone OS 2.2 just to make me extra homesick along the way! (Thanks for that!). So today I shipped the Bold back to Kevin, and dusted off my trusty little pocket universe denter... and immediately updated about 2 dozen apps! Yikes!

But I'm a stranger in my own land. Can I go home again? Maybe with YOUR help?

What else did I miss? Any killer apps released in the last month I should check out? Any super ninja tricks discovered? Does BadAsh have his own protocol baked into the device yet?

And what about those "other" editors, the ones who found stuff to gripe about in the iPhone 3G? How do we respond to them? Is it really a "stop and use" device only? Is it hopelessly closed as a platform? Does the lack of a Qwerty keyboard hobble it forever? If you've checked out Dieter, Casey, Jennifer, and Kevin's video previews and full reviews, can we get a little Samuel L. Jackson on them? I'm making one last video and review of my own, so can I get a little help? Can TiPb be allowed to RETORT?

And as if that wasn't incentive enough, remember every day you post on this thread, or any Round Robin thread, you're entered for another chance to win each site's signature smartphone -- in our case, an iPhone 3G!

Johnnytk36#IM

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Welcome Back

Well i have just come over from Treocentral and joined my all the mac fanatics here with just picking up my treo..errr iPhone a week and a half ago. I cant believe it took me so long to come over.

I can already see i am going to love it here.

But to your question,

check out "Vlingo" the new voice app (sorry post count to low to post direct link)

Also we can always be allowed to RETORT, we are mac fans, its in our nature.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
wow, it feels great to be back for me too: in the time that the roblund robin started, I have had a Treo Pro, Blackberry Storm and now I am back to the iPhone. Ivwas kind of able to follow along with your guys.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It's amazing how many polygadgetists we have out there! (Not looking at Bad Ash, Dieter, Brian, Casey...)

One man round robins, the lot of youse!

jhauser3

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Everyone back to their own devices... all is right with the world. One thing I missed when I had moved away from the iPhone was the visual voicemail. I'm sure a lot of phones can replicate that with third party apps, but once again the iPhone wins right out of the darn box.
Any little things you missed not having for the last month?

bigbadbu

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
My sprint phone contract is ending jan 1, and I'm trying to talk the mrs. into letting me have an iphone. I personally had no hangups except for the virtual keyboard...but it seems apple has a better virtual keyboard than Sprint's HTC phones. anyone have any experiences comparing the HTC touch series and iPhone keyboards? I wish they'd put an HTC phone in the round robin circuit.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Treo Pro had WinMo virtual keyboard, horrible nasty little thing that would no doubt survive a nuclear bomb blast!

I think the FUZE had a soft keyboard as well, but with that battleship slider, who needed it?

chuazy

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
too bad you didnt get to try out G1 with the latest firmware that will only out for general users in the next few weeks... the new on screen keyboard looks nice!

Mike M

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What's new? Let's see...Urbanspoon updated to include all US cities (ok, not great for Rene, but really nice for those south of the Canadian border), TVersity is a great way to stream content (yes, video!) from your computer, I found my car in Google streetview, found out you shouldn't splash water on your iPhone if you want to be able to use the spacebar or numbers in portrait ever again, and I haven't been able to put down Fieldrunners to stay up on anything else!

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Definitely use Vlingo...solid voice dialing/twitter & facebook updating/map searching/google & yahoo searching app. It is great.

PS...welcome back!!!

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Thanks for the welcome backs everyone! It's nice to be in from the untouchy, non-intuitive, tic-tactile keyboardy cold!

Downloaded Touch Physics, Topple, Vlingo, and a bunch more try out. Some even made the video!

Mike M

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It sure is quiet around here during the holiday. Did everyone get something better than the iPhone to play with? Ahahaha, get it? Cause there's nothing better than the iPhone? ;)