iPhone 3G 32GB - Don't believe the hype?

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I know that I shouldn't believe everything I read but I really am quite excited by the prospect of a 32GB iPhone.

Apple have had a few leaks lately so it's not to much of a stretch to believe that a 32GB option is on it's way. This is particularly exciting for me as the iPhone has not yet been released in South Africa, we are still in that greatly ambiguous 'Coming Soon' stage, which means that we could get our hands on 32GB models right from the get go! Really exciting for those of us who are still without our iPhones or those who have had doubts about the storage.

Read Engadget's article for all the details:

Apple prepping a 32GB iPhone update, bringing back at-home activation? - Engadget

Edit: It seems I was just beaten to the punch, sorry for repeating something in the blog. Still would be great to hear your thoughts here...

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't understand something in that post, why would Apple have to change the NAND flash chips? The Touch has a 32GB option. Is there something technical that I'm missing?

It simply would not fit. Referring to the NAND flash chips here: "which max out at 16GB on the iPhone and 32GB on the iPod Touch (which lacks the radios and hence has double the space for the memory"

The iPod has the room due to the lack of radios that the iPhone HAS.

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I cannot see any difference in terms of physical size though. Ok, I am looking at photos and maybe my estimates are off because of that.

Don't mean to argue but I'm trying to keep my dream alive! :D

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
It's not a question of physical size - it's a question of space INSIDE the unit.

On the Touch, you have extra space that is not taken up with the radios. On the iPhone, that space is used by the radios.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's not a question of physical size - it's a question of space INSIDE the unit.

On the Touch, you have extra space that is not taken up with the radios. On the iPhone, that space is used by the radios.

Isn't that what I said? :confused:
:)

Maybe I should have explained it more clearly. Sorry.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Totally bogus visual:

Imagine both an iPhone and a Touch. Each has 2 slots, 1 on the left, 1 on the right. 16 GB takes one slot. However, the iPhone already has 1 slot filled with a cell radio (GSM/EDGE/3G), GPS, etc. That only leaves 1 slot left.

So, while you can fill 2 slots on the Touch, and 16x2 = 32

You only have 1 slot left to fill on the iPhone, and 16x1 = 16

However, if Apple switches to the higher (double)density NAND chips, then we'd get:

iPhone: 1 x 32 = 32

Touch: 2 x 32 = 64 (same size as the Air SSD!)

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and wait. I waited for over two years for a Macbook Pro and about 4 months for a 1G Touch so I think I'll be able to stay patient and see what the next few months bring. At least it will be made easier if Vodacom once again postpone the launch of the iPhone 3G in SA.

I was wondering, how long after the iPhone 2G was released did they kill the 4GB version and how long after releasing the 1G Touch did they bring out the 32GB model. I seem to remember only a few months between the original announcements and then the changes... and how long has the iPhone 3G been out?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I compared the new touch to my 3g iphone in the apple store this past week and it's half the thickness, so even though it lacks the 3g/edge radio it doesn't really have that much more room

rapidblue

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and wait. I waited for over two years for a Macbook Pro and about 4 months for a 1G Touch so I think I'll be able to stay patient and see what the next few months bring. At least it will be made easier if Vodacom once again postpone the launch of the iPhone 3G in SA.

I was wondering, how long after the iPhone 2G was released did they kill the 4GB version and how long after releasing the 1G Touch did they bring out the 32GB model. I seem to remember only a few months between the original announcements and then the changes... and how long has the iPhone 3G been out?

Also tempted to wait, but then again there will ALWAYS be a newer, better iPhone coming out... Have to decided some or other time to take the plunge and get it.
Think 16GB will be fine for now. All my music and photos won't fit, but then nor will they on a 32GB. I'll just have to be selective of what I put on my iPhone. I'll keep my 60GB iPod so that I can load everything on there for in case :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Also tempted to wait, but then again there will ALWAYS be a newer, better iPhone coming out... Have to decided some or other time to take the plunge and get it.
Think 16GB will be fine for now. All my music and photos won't fit, but then nor will they on a 32GB. I'll just have to be selective of what I put on my iPhone. I'll keep my 60GB iPod so that I can load everything on there for in case :)

I feel the same way. No matter what you do there is always a new device just around the corner. Latest example is Palm, they released the Treo 800w. It seemed like a day went by and they announced the Treo Pro... What can you do? :confused:

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I have heard that the October 14th Event is a Macbook only event. Does that mean there's not even a chance that there will be "one last thing" and that might just be a 32GB iPhone.

I know no one can read Steve Jobs' mind (Kevin Rose is the exception) but anyone got any ideas, one way or the other?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711