iPhone 3G without data plan?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have 2 lines with at&t. I temporarily switched my sim cards just to see if my other sim would work in my iPhone. It did. Anything that had to do with data. I was even getting phone calls for that hour that I had it on. Connection to wi-fi was simple. They're lying to u.

ilovedance88

May 28, 2009
Visit site
Question

I currently have an At&t blackberry curve and I really would like an iphone. Really the only reason I want the iphone is to have my music and phone all in one. I already have unlimited texting. What I wanted to know is if I bought an unlocked iphone off ebay, then just put my sim card from the blackberry into the iphone, would it work without the data plan? I don't have a data plan on my blackberry I just use it for texting and phone calls.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I currently have an At&t blackberry curve and I really would like an iphone. Really the only reason I want the iphone is to have my music and phone all in one. I already have unlimited texting. What I wanted to know is if I bought an unlocked iphone off ebay, then just put my sim card from the blackberry into the iphone, would it work without the data plan? I don't have a data plan on my blackberry I just use it for texting and phone calls.

You have to get the Data Plan on the iphone AT&T will detect the iphone if you try and use it without it.

Travisl1213

May 18, 2009
Visit site
kinda a little stray here, but will the iphone work with lets say a blackberry data package? i know there the same price so why not go with the iphone package, but thats not the answer im looking for.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I have 2 lines with at&t. I temporarily switched my sim cards just to see if my other sim would work in my iPhone. It did. Anything that had to do with data. I was even getting phone calls for that hour that I had it on. Connection to wi-fi was simple. They're lying to u.

AT&T will probably charge you for data on next bill for that line unless you were on wifi hole time.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Alright, let me see if I can clear some of this up.

First off,

1st gen iPhone - the 1st gen is not hot swappable w/ SIM cards. It is activated with ONE sim. If you put a different in, it will tell you invalid SIM or tell you to activate. You have to "hacktivate" to prevent this.

2nd gen iPhone (iPhone 3G) - you can swap SIM cards in the iPhone 3G. Say my friend put him SIM in my iPhone 3G, it would work, he'd get service, no connect to iTunes, etc like the 1st gen. BUT, he would start getting annoying text messages from AT&T telling him he needs the corresponding data plan.

If you do not add this data plan, there have been instances of AT&T charging people PAY PER USE which gets VERY expensive, or adding the data plan anyways, as it IS required, and you would have gotten several texts warning you.

As far as just putting a different phone's SIM in, that will not work. The network recognized the IMEI number of the phone, so if you have your SIM in a Razr, and then put it in an iPhone 3G, eventually, the system would pick up that you are using an iPhone instead of a Razr now. They pick up on this anytime between a few minutes, to a few days.

The only way I know that is fool proof to get away with no, or a MediaNET plan would be to change the IMEI, therefore voiding any warranty.

Just pay for the data plan, the iPhone isn't much of an iPhone without one.

That's my best advice.

Or switch to t-mobile and use the t-zones hack to get cheap data, but you'll be stuck on EDGE.

RedMD

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Experience speaks louder

The following is pertinent to U.S. AT&T iphone use without a dataplan.

It is mostly true that you can't get an iphone on AT&Ts network from AT&T without a data plan, but I somehow slipped through the cracks and AT&T never activated or charged us (we have 2 iphones) for an iphone data plan. Anyways, we've been using our refurbished iphone 3Gs for about 5 months with no data plan, and here's what we've learned:

1. Data charges: Our online plan says we are to be charged by the MB (something like $.30/MB), but our iphone won't download data (excluding wife data) unless it has an iphone data plan enabled. We just get an error message if we aren't in a wifi spot (which for us is almost never) and using an application which needs online access. We've never been charged a cent for our data usage (even though the AT&T reps have warned us this would be the case). I guess most reps don't know that the phone won't download data unless you've enabled an iphone specific data plan. We have never received a warning text messages from AT&T.

2.SIM cards: I personally know of multiple individuals who use non-AT&T SIM cards in their iphones (usually purchased outside U.S.) and have had a similar experience to my own (i.e. no data, but text and phone usage works fine).

3.Usage: Our phones are not unlocked, and all apps work as long as we are in a wifi area. I work in an academic hospital so wifi is never an issue. I've also noticed that other folks at work with data-plan-enabled iphones end up using wifi instead of the 3G network because of the spotty/slow 3G coverage when compared to our broadband wifi. Truthfully, AT&T really needs to beef up their 3G coverage if they are going to charge $30/month.

4.Drawbacks: If you need constant access to your online data, then you need the dataplan, but for us, we only miss the data plan when we are trying to use the gps navigation applications of an iphone (i.e. if you get lost, you can't download the maps for your location). You can pre-download non-proprietary maps of the openstreetmaps format (see motion-x, or offmaps), but google-maps really is the best map application for an iphone. There are ways around this (i.e. pre-download g-maps data for the location you're going to), but if you get lost you're out of luck with pre-downloaded g-maps.

Conclusion: I hope this clears up some of the confusion. It is always useful to get advice from someone who has actually done what you're planning on doing. Also, I don't know how best to purchase an iphone without a data plan since I don't know of anyone else who got an iphone from AT&T without a dataplan. I did want to state that it is possible to operate an iphone without a data plan, and for some, well worth it. Finally, our monthly charge is around $90 for the two phones. (200 text messages a month per phone and 700 shared anytime minutes).

LordofSwine

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
thanks RedMD your story helped me more then anything else I have read.

I recently bought an iPhone 3G from a friend and swapped the sim from my samsung solstice into the iPhone. I had previously had a data plan on my solstice but canceled it and had AT&T restrict any data on my line a few months back. I manually disabled 3G on the iPhone aswell. I checked on my at&t account page to see if I have incurred any data costs since I started using the iPhone and it says I have not. I am on a family plan with ultimated texting and the line with the iPhone is a secondary line. I have yet to receive any notice from at&t. Everything on the iPhone is working properly. I am wondering if there is anything else I should do to better prevent being switched/notified to switch to the iPhone data plan? And has anyone had success with CS at at&t making accommodations like this or am I better off just continuing usage as I am now? I personally think at&t is being less then reasonable by contractually obligating their customers to have a specific extraneous data plan depending on which phone they use, especially when the device is fully functional without said plan.

Dolomaticdangles

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay here's what I've been doing since July it works great.

If you can get an iPhone from a friend or already have one:
1) Go on wifi
2) go to unlockit.co.nz
3) install the Fake APN package. This will block all data from coming or leaving.
4)Put your SIM in and you have an iPhone without data. Works great

I think this would also work if you don't have an iPhone. And if it doesn't, then remember you can always return it within 30 days.
1) order an iPhone from att.com
2) once you get it, check your account to see if they already added the data plan. I don't think they add it until you use the phone.
3)do the steps at the top. Bam.

Hope this helps. I've been doing this since July with no problems.

silen00000

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
WIFI Without data plan or sim

I bought a 3g iphone from att with the minutes, text and $30 data plan. I had the phone for 9 months. I decided i didn't wanna pay the $30 a month so I removed the iphone (and data plan) from my plan and went back to my lg cu500 with only minutes and texts and put the data blocker on that lg phone. My iphone is basically a pda now, but has the wifi capability. I used the wifi, was able to connect to any network WITHOUT having my sim card in the phone. I called ATT today and confirmed that if the phone can use wifi without the sim card in it, there is no way they can bill me for any data usage. So, I am able to use the wifi with no data charges/plan in place and without a sim card in the phone!!!! I used no unlock stuff and have not changed any settings on the internet/http stuff since deactivating the phone.....

bocavox

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
want to use a 2G iPhone this same way

Sure that would work for a first gen iPhone but not with a 3g. Sounded like the OP was getting a 3g. I could be wrong though.

*if you did do that on a first gen you would also lose others features such as visual voicemail, etc...

Hello- I would like to use this same scenario as above - I DO want the WiFi and full functionality of the iPhone (voice, texting, iPod, and all non-data network features) just without the data plan from AT&T.

I currently have an existing Samsung Blackjack II smart phone (without data but with unlimited texting) and I'd like to use that SIM card in the 2G iPhone. Is there a certain order/procedure I should follow to jailbreak/turn off the EDGE feature?

Also, I read that they no longer support the original iPhone - am I limited in the iPhone version that I can upgrade to?

The iPhone has been reset to v. 3 - would you recommend downgrading to v. 2? is that done automatically when you run this other software?

Lastly, if I am staying with AT&T, is it necessary to jailbreak? or is that only if you want to use T-Mobile or other?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

Nurnberg77

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm new here and I hope it is OK to chime in my question here. If not, I apologize to the moderator(s). Here's my deal: currently an AT&T customer using Samsung BlackJackII w/unlimited data. Just purchased 32mb AT & T iPhone 3gs off the bay. Will I be able to insert the sim card from my BlackJack II and activate this iPhone in iTunes? Or will I have to get a new sim card? Thanks for any explanations...

e1miran

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site

A friend of mine did this, too. He got an iPhone 4 and gave his 3GS to his wife.
She took the SIM from her previous non-smartphone and put it in the iPhone. It worked, they were happy, no need to pay another data plan, since she would not use it anyway.

WRONG. They got a text on the phone from AT&T a few weeks later stating that there was no data plan on the phone and it would automatically be added if they continued to use the phone with no data plan.

bubba752

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
yes it will work

I am currently using the iphone 3gs unlocked with my old gophone sim card in it. if you want data on it you just buy data when you feel like it. It also works the same with messages, calling, and everything else you can buy on a gophone sim card. all you have to do is go to a site call unlockit.co.uk or something like that and download the APN thing for your iphone while on your iphone. it will ask what you would like the APN to be and for att you choose "us-att" and it will take a few seconds then bam you have your data. Now in my case it shut down my 3g as a glitch or something, but to fix it just reset settings and leave the APN thinf there as a profile and your good ta go. I must say though that gophone sims do not get the 2 gig plans they only go up to 500mb i think for 30, 100mb for 15 and 10mb for 5. And for those of you out there you doubt me and think it doeasnt work or you tried it and it broke it or something, fk off because ur probally stingy little punks who are to retarded to install it right or reset your settings. So if you do happen to be one of those people shut up and leave or actually try it and youll be happy with the results.

PS i do not think this works on the iphone 4 or upcoming iphone 5.

potential

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
lol

I am currently using the iphone 3gs unlocked with my old gophone sim card in it. if you want data on it you just buy data when you feel like it. It also works the same with messages, calling, and everything else you can buy on a gophone sim card. all you have to do is go to a site call unlockit.co.uk or something like that and download the APN thing for your iphone while on your iphone. it will ask what you would like the APN to be and for att you choose "us-att" and it will take a few seconds then bam you have your data. Now in my case it shut down my 3g as a glitch or something, but to fix it just reset settings and leave the APN thinf there as a profile and your good ta go. I must say though that gophone sims do not get the 2 gig plans they only go up to 500mb i think for 30, 100mb for 15 and 10mb for 5. And for those of you out there you doubt me and think it doeasnt work or you tried it and it broke it or something, fk off because ur probally stingy little punks who are to retarded to install it right or reset your settings. So if you do happen to be one of those people shut up and leave or actually try it and youll be happy with the results.

PS i do not think this works on the iphone 4 or upcoming iphone 5.

1. That website doesn't exist
2. Do you have to unlock your iPhone to use a goPhone sim card?
3. The data plan is optional right?
4. If you just turn off edge and 3g then it should work with a goPhone sim card.
5. I tried it and it and your way doesn't work, I am not a stingy punk.

techwiz101

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
iphone 3g without data plan

okay so i got one from a friend. works great with no data plan. everytime i sync it asks me to upgrade to 4.2 should i do it?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods