iPhone 3G without data plan?

JBish

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Hey all,

I was planning on getting the new iPhone and simply unsuscribing from the $30 ATT data plan and using wifi. I called a rep today to see if this would be possible, and he told me that if i took the data plan off my account, ATT wouldnt let me use my iphone for calls either.

is this true?

is there someway i can get the iphone minus the data plan?

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Nope, you have to have an iPhone data plan to use the iPhone. No way around that. You might want to consider getting an original iPhone with the lower data plan.

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

What if you switched the SIM with that of another AT&T phone? For example, I now have a find iPod touch (my 1st gen iPhone), but my wife would like to use it as her cell phone minus the data plan. Theoretically, the phone and iPod functions should still work, with the SIM from her flip phone, and if I reinsert the original SIM when I sync with iTunes, I should still, theoretically, be able to sync up her music and movies as well as install future updates.

Or, at least that's the way I think it can work. As we're already on AT&T, it's not as if we're stiffing them for what we're receiving (with the exception of WiFi on the 1st gen iPhone, but as AT&T doesn't provide that, it really shouldn't matter) or receiving any more that that for which we already pay. What do y'all think?

HawaiiMacAddict

bonanza#IM

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
wow... they will not let us take out the data plan ???
i was just wondering that too... i unfortunately live in the middle of know where with 1 or 2 bars. and internet is no use for me ...

no way they will not let me pay 3 for a service i am not needing...

do you think they will let me take out my data plan ?
what if i told them i am selling the phone?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Aloha everyone,

What if you switched the SIM with that of another AT&T phone? For example, I now have a find iPod touch (my 1st gen iPhone), but my wife would like to use it as her cell phone minus the data plan. Theoretically, the phone and iPod functions should still work, with the SIM from her flip phone, and if I reinsert the original SIM when I sync with iTunes, I should still, theoretically, be able to sync up her music and movies as well as install future updates.

Or, at least that's the way I think it can work. As we're already on AT&T, it's not as if we're stiffing them for what we're receiving (with the exception of WiFi on the 1st gen iPhone, but as AT&T doesn't provide that, it really shouldn't matter) or receiving any more that that for which we already pay. What do y'all think?

HawaiiMacAddict

Nice try... ;) Won't work though.

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
Nope this is how Verizon is too with BlackBerrys. You cannot have a BlackBerry without a data plan on Verizon and you can't have an iPhone on At&t without a data plan.

That is how At&t is making money on the new iPhones and how you are about to get them for only $199 and $299.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Now I know in the above post I said it would not work... I'm not hearing that is may be possible from a article I read today. Seems like the new firmware may have changed something... give it a shot. Though I'm not certain it will work.

snoeth

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I had an existing att plan without data (but I had unlimited texts). What I did that worked perfectly was unlock and jailbreak my 2.0.2 iphone (using winpwn). Since it was unlocked, I was able to drop my sim chip in and use the phone for calls/texting. Then through Cydia I downloaded BossPrefs. BossPrefs easily allowed me turn off the edge network while keeping my wi-fi connection. So now my iphone gets internet when I am at a hotspot, otherwise I just have phone/texting capabilities. I have NO data plan and no monthly charges for data. Just a voice plan.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I had an existing att plan without data (but I had unlimited texts). What I did that worked perfectly was unlock and jailbreak my 2.0.2 iphone (using winpwn). Since it was unlocked, I was able to drop my sim chip in and use the phone for calls/texting. Then through Cydia I downloaded BossPrefs. BossPrefs easily allowed me turn off the edge network while keeping my wi-fi connection. So now my iphone gets internet when I am at a hotspot, otherwise I just have phone/texting capabilities. I have NO data plan and no monthly charges for data. Just a voice plan.

Sure that would work for a first gen iPhone but not with a 3g. Sounded like the OP was getting a 3g. I could be wrong though.

*if you did do that on a first gen you would also lose others features such as visual voicemail, etc...

Last edited:

artgirl378

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Using iPhone without a data plan?

I'm just wondering if there's a way to turn off any other connections on the iPhone and just use Wi-Fi (for internet usage), so that there's no need for the data plan?

I would be perfectly fine without internet access 24/7, but I've had some of the sales people tell me that the phone can automatically switch to 3G or whatever, and you'll be stuck with a $400 bill at the end of the month without even knowing it.

They've also said that they don't have a complete way of blocking your access so that you don't use data.

Is it possible do so yourself? Or do you have to hack your phone for that?

artgirl378

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
No... I have an iPod Touch which I'm going to sell.

I just don't want to have to carry around an iPod and a Phone. I've found that Wi-Fi is enough for me, and I just don't need the data plan.

So is it possible to block it somehow?

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
In order to purchase an iPhone 3G I believe you must purchase the data plan. I don't believe you can get it, then cancel the data plan after the first month either.

artgirl378

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Actually, it is possible. In Canada at least, Rogers and Fido will sell it without the data plan.

But they say that it's pretty much impossible to avoid using the data, so unless you have a data plan, you'll probably get a lot fees on your phone bill that you don't want.

I've read here and there that you can turn it off, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone know?

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Yea I don't think there's a way that could work. Whenever I call tech support they recognize what kind of phone I have. I think the SIM card reads the phone's IMEI number so whenever you call they can look it up to see what kind of phone you have. And since data is required with the 3G, they will know and it's unavoidable.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Actually, it is possible. In Canada at least, Rogers and Fido will sell it without the data plan.

But they say that it's pretty much impossible to avoid using the data, so unless you have a data plan, you'll probably get a lot fees on your phone bill that you don't want.

I've read here and there that you can turn it off, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone know?

Really? Wow I didn't know that! But I could imagine someone getting and iPhone without data and being tempted. Most of it's features require data. I wouldn't be able to resist.

heyfunky

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you don't use the same iphone you bought from AT&T on the AT&T account, then AT&T should not be able to add the data plan. You can always use a non-iphone to obtain a new non-iphone SIM and then use iphone. ALso, why would you need to talk to AT&T customer service so often when you can do a lot online.

I have a new family plan with 2 iphones and want to get rid of the data plan since I don't need it. I will swap the 2 phones after removing the data plan. I can also use a different phone to call AT&T with if required so that they can't identify the iphone.

I am not sure if SIM has something to do with the iphone since they gave me a new SIM when I exchanged my other Nokia 3G phone.

Can someone share more info?

Yea I don't think there's a way that could work. Whenever I call tech support they recognize what kind of phone I have. I think the SIM card reads the phone's IMEI number so whenever you call they can look it up to see what kind of phone you have. And since data is required with the 3G, they will know and it's unavoidable.

devax

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure how you get to the $400 a month bill? We have two phones here in the US and we pay $129 for both, unlimited internet, and 700 combined minutes, free weekends and evenings, and free cell to cell.

You'd only have to pay another $25 if you wanted unlimited texting. I don't know how that works since I don't text (never understood the attraction when I can just pick up the phone and call my friends).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro