Apple stores in Canada will NOT have iPhone 3g Friday...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Wow, I feel sorry for the Apple fans up in Canada...

From Appleinsider

"Apple, disgusted with Rogers Wireless for dumping egregious service plans on would-be iPhone 3G buyers, has decided that its Canadian retail stores will have no part in helping the carrier market the new handset to customers, AppleInsider has learned.

As a result, Canadian Apple Retail stores won't be selling the new 3G touchscreen phones come Friday, representatives for the Cupertino-based company said during a private conference call on Monday evening. Instead, it will be up to Rogers and its partner Fido to lock subscribers into steep 3-year contracts that require a minimum monthly payment of $60 for just 150 minutes, 75 text messages, and 400MB of data.

Calls to Canadian Apple retail stores early Tuesday confirmed the move once over. Although the majority of the of stores contacted by AppleInsider said they were still unsure whether they'd be selling the new iPhone, one representative ultimately confirmed that Rogers and its partner stores will be the only place to buy iPhone 3G come Friday. Canadian Apple retail stores will, however, have demo units on hand the same day.

Asked whether the decision not to sell the iPhone was a result of Rogers' poor service offerings, the representative would only say that: "We have nothing to do with the service plans. Those are Rogers' plans."

Word of Apple's abandonment of in-store sales comes just days after the company was reported to have sanctioned Rogers by diverting a significant amount of Canada's iPhone 3G shipments to Europe as initial retribution. As a result, the Canadian carrier will likely receive only about 10 to 20 units per store, and therefore should "exercise caution" not to promise ample stock on launch day, people familiar with the matter have said.

Apple's knee-jerk reaction is believed to have been further stimulated by public outrage on the part of Canadian consumers following the release of the local pricing plans. Always concerned with its image, the iPhone maker has watched nearly 50,000 of its loyal customers sign an anti-Rogers petition at ruinediphone.com, which has in turn sparked hundreds of potentially damaging reports on the matter by bloggers and members of the mainstream media.

For its part, Rogers in official statements has attempted to justify the cost of its service and data plans by arguing that the "majority" of international iPhone carriers have capped data. As such, a spokesperson said Rogers believes its plans to be better than those of Orange France, for example, which include a 500MB 'reasonable use' limit versus the 2GB maximum on the top-tier Canadian iPhone plan that fetches $115 per month.

"Unlimited plans could end up costing customers more for what they don't use," the spokesperson said. "Our iPhone plans more than accommodate the vast majority of customers."

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
that sucks big time for the people who want an iphone up there, but rogers get what it deserves. it is a bold move on apple, but it had to be done, heck it might even work out better for canadians.

michi_love

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
that sucks big time for the people who want an iphone up there, but rogers get what it deserves. it is a bold move on apple, but it had to be done, heck it might even work out better for canadians.

I think it's been said before but poor Canadians. I would be so mad if I were them too! Rogers is being really chincy with their plans... I don't know much about Rogers' history but have they always been like that? I mean... don't they want to make tons of money w/ Apple and spread the joy of iPhone there? heheh

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I think in a way it's a good thing. Hopefully Rogers will get the message and change the way they do business. The limitations on their plans are insane, I see it making it very difficult to use the iPhone to its fullest.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
yea, thats what i was reffering to, i am assuming, that the reason apple isn't releasing the iphone yet on their network is because of their plans. and hopefully, they will get the message, and change them. pity..

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I feel sorry for them, that's so sad, don't know who I'd kill if i found out the iphone's weren't being released friday

tankgunk

Jul 8, 2008
Visit site
It's really got to suck being the neighbor of the US. They miss out on the party AND they have to hear it all night. Don't get me wrong, I like Canada. Been there a couple times and found it enjoyable.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
We covered this briefly on the blog, but basically Apple Stores in Canada were never announced to carry the iPhone, only Rogers/Fido stores, so this is nothing new.

As to stock, my guess is that if any stock was diverted to Europe, it was due to the strong Euro. Nintendo has been accused of doing this with the Wii for months now (profit taking on the currency).

Rogers is the sux for certain, however...

Impulse622

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
gosh, why must my life be cursed. i was going to wait at an apple store downtown toronto. but now i have to go to a rogers. i dont even know if all the rogers' will have the iphone. and how many there are going to be.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77