Basic phones sold for $200, while new iPhone 3G is $200. What do u think about that?

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I just thought about something. A month ago I bought the Motorola Z9 from AT&T. It cost me over $260.00 with tax (with a new 2 year contract). It doesn't even come close to what the iPhone can do, but it's still sold for around the same price.

What to do you guys think about basic phones that go for around the same price as the iPhone 3G and other PDA's?

Last edited:

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
You just said the bulk of it - "basic" phone. AT&T is going to get their money out of you on data ($30 vs $20 per month plus messaging fees on top of that) so the new 3G iPhone is actually $240 more expensive than the "basic" phone referenced. What are you getting for your $200 "basic" + $240 in AT&T fees to subsidize the initial cost of a new iPhone? Well, for me, a phone, email & messaging device, the most kick-butt internet browsing mobile device anyone's come up with yet and a revolutionary touch screen interface that the rest of the world is scrambling like heck to catch up with. Plus extraordinary software that's miles above anything else (with some major oooops like MMS, voicedialing, video capture, ad nauseum, being left out). Oh, it's also the coolest video iPod ever made BTW.

Worth it for me? Yes! :D I'm getting one as soon as I can lay my hands on it. Worth it for you? Make the call! ;)

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I completely agree. Ever since the iPhone came out a lot of companies added a touch screen to their phones, and they haven't even come close to the iPhone. I love the full on iPod built into the phone. What I love about the iPhone is that if your in the market for a PDA and an mp3 player, it's all in one and more. It's seriously the best phone I've ever had.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
You just said the bulk of it - "basic" phone. AT&T is going to get their money out of you on data ($30 vs $20 per month plus messaging fees on top of that) so the new 3G iPhone is actually $240 more expensive than the "basic" phone referenced. What are you getting for your $200 "basic" + $240 in AT&T fees to subsidize the initial cost of a new iPhone? Well, for me, a phone, email & messaging device, the most kick-butt internet browsing mobile device anyone's come up with yet and a revolutionary touch screen interface that the rest of the world is scrambling like heck to catch up with. Plus extraordinary software that's miles above anything else (with some major oooops like MMS, voicedialing, video capture, ad nauseum, being left out). Oh, it's also the coolest video iPod ever made BTW.

Worth it for me? Yes! :D I'm getting one as soon as I can lay my hands on it. Worth it for you? Make the call! ;)

So Volsfan which iPhone are you getting? The 8GB or the 16GB? :D
I'm thinking about the 8GB.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
AT&T really is making a fortune off of the data usage for iPhone owners. $30 a month for data for at least 2 years works out to $720. Even if AT&T is paying Apple $300+ for each phone, AT&T is still making a large profit.

As far as other phones go, they don't have to worry quite as much about this data usage. I'm upgrading from a Razr myself and I never touched the web functions on it.

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
I think the only other phones that could even compete around the same price are the centro or the balck jack 2. even then the iphone beats them horribly in some categories

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR