New iPhone (the next iPhone after iPhone 3G)

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Let the speculation begin. What is the next iteration of the iPhone going to have. My thoughts:

1. Better battery, more memory (obviously)
2. Speech-to-text for SMS and Voice dial (although this could probably be done through a software update, not necessarily hardware related
3. Upgraded processor chips (upgraded chips all around, maybe from their acquisition of PA Semi

This is all I can come up with right now. I will update and post more once I get more wild ideas.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if there were an interim, memory bump model like there was with the first gen model. After that, higher resolution screen, HSUPA, 802.11n, faster and more efficient chips, probably a higher resolution camera and a second camera for video calling, possibly the voice stuff you suggest. I think the form factor will basically stay the same but a second, smaller model isn't completely impossible I suppose.

On nomenclature: let's not confuse iPhone generations with cellular network generations. The generation of cellular network used will not always be n+1, where n=the iPhone generation. The next (3rd) generation iPhone will undoubtedly still use 3G network technology:

The international telecommunications regulatory and standardization bodies are working for commercial deployment of 4G networks roughly in the 2012-2015 time scale.
4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if there were an interim, memory bump model like there was with the first gen model. After that, higher resolution screen, HSUPA, 802.11n, faster and more efficient chips, probably a higher resolution camera and a second camera for video calling, possibly the voice stuff you suggest. I think the form factor will basically stay the same but a second, smaller model isn't completely impossible I suppose.

On nomenclature: let's not confuse iPhone generations with cellular network generations. The generation of cellular network used will not always be n+1, where n=the iPhone generation. The next (3rd) generation iPhone will undoubtedly still use 3G network technology:

4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Makes sense. I would like to see a better screen and definitely an upgraded camera. These however seem like refreshes more than anything. Whereas GPS and 3G were more significant of an edition.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I agree the things I listed lack wow factor. This probably just reflects my lack of imagination, but what could the 'wow' things be? Perhaps faster, more efficient chips (and more RAM) might translate into multiple apps (including third party apps) running at the same time? Faster HSDPA might allow for better streaming to the iPhone and complete syncing of all data (including media) over the cellular network. HSUPA might translate into streaming media from an iPhone (to another iPhone?) I guess, or at least MobileMe syncing of videos shot on the iPhone (this supposes there would be video recording on the iPhone of course!)

Struggling a bit here...

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
We are just two people. Apple and AT&T probably have hundreds of people working on "the next big thing" in the wireless industry. Whether it be some miraculous cell feature or whatever. There are things people want that we probably couldn't even think of. Syncing with our car?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Those hundreds of people are probably all doing what Steve Jobs tells them to do. I have a little faith though that it will probably be the right thing.

Perhaps there will be more of a focus on web apps, all your data in the cloud etc. I do have the feeling that this might have been the original intention (remember the original idea, as stated at least, was for third party apps to be web apps only). Perhaps SproutCore and the like just came a little too late. That's software rather than hardware speculation of course, and obviously doesn't address your 3rd gen iPhone question. Maybe no hardware 'wow', just evolution?

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Well ok let's see. The Thunder is suppose to only have 4 buttons on the front and it is a full touchscreen. Remind me what the original iPhone was... right full touchscreen and 1 button on the front. Blackberry couldn't innovate to save its life. So I guess the trumping iphone is never going to happen and we have nothing to worry about.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Oh I think it absolutely will be. No sense in everything moving forward while the camera technology stays behind. I think it will be a high res (obviously) and includes a zoom features (probably will be software base). I don't know how I feel about having a flash on it. I guess that could be cool.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
'green' iphone?

Could the third-generation iphone have some 'green' features? Things like solar cells front and back, lower-power consumption display - perhaps with a no-backlight mode using colored eink, and a detachable keyboard. Integrated wimax and a true haptic display (think about being able to feel the keys on the on-screen keyboard) are also possibilities.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I hate to say it but i think "green" features are the last thing on apples mind. We are a long way away from using solar panals on our cell phones, right now their big and bulky and smaller items. The next BIG thing will be the processor upgrade no question, but in the interum we will see lots of smaller upgrades including, storage capacity, and new cameras. Im excited for all the upgrades, not just the WOW's. every upgrade is an upgrade.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I don't see solar cells as being feasible right now. Maybe it will include a dedicated graphics processing chip? Maybe not. But probably improved graphics, improved display resolution, and a new camera. Maybe the ability to print (network to a printer? lol).

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

I don't know anything about the upcoming 4G technology, but what if all cell phone companies supported it? That way, everyone in the US could buy it for use with their telco. Of course, that would blow away all of the so-called "iPhone killers", but it would be great for Apple. There are even three states, if memory serves, that do NOT have AT&T coverage, so those customers would have the opportunity to use "really super duper" phone (in the words of Mac OS Ken, the first iPhone was the "super phone" and the 3G iPhone is the "super duper phone").

Actually, I would like to eventually see some sort of universal SIM, but at least the 3G iPhone includes a SIM extraction tool. Maybe we'll be able to buy some sort of pre-paid SIM for use in the iPhone while traveling to other countries.

HawaiiMacAddict

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen