iPhone 3G Activation Process Update

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
According to Macrumors.com (iPhone 3G Launch Day, Meetups and Activation - Mac Rumors):

Reports of required in-store activation in the U.S. remain, but one unconfirmed tidbit we've heard is that customers with existing iPhones will be shunted to a separate line and will simply need provide the new IMEI number (printed on the outside of the box) from their iPhone 3G. Activation will reportedly then be completed at home after switching your sim card to the new phone and plugging into iTunes. If true, this would speed up sales for those upgrading their existing phones and also leave the iPhone 3G's packaging intact (to the relief of many).

This would be ideal. The packaging is intact and the process is faster.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah it definitely doesn't. At least current iPhone customers have some type of additional benefit (for being early adopters and all). Oh well, sucks for you and others. It doesn't benefit me at all though cause I have no plans of upgrading.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
This is BS... There is no reason they should make activation that way for current iPhone customers only. What about current At&t customers in general? I am already in their damned system, and my SIM came out of the first iPhone originally! I just had to swap it to a new device for Christ's sake.

The only people that should have new activation should be the NEW customers, just like all of At&t's other phones. They are the ones that need new service, ported phone numbers, credit checks, etc.

This is just a bunch of crap... Seriously.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
This is BS... There is no reason they should make activation that way for current iPhone customers only. What about current At&t customers in general? I am already in their damned system, and my SIM came out of the first iPhone originally! I just had to swap it to a new device for Christ's sake.

The only people that should have new activation should be the NEW customers, just like all of At&t's other phones. They are the ones that need new service, ported phone numbers, credit checks, etc.

This is just a bunch of crap... Seriously.

It is early on though. Things will change, hopefully for the better.

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi all...First post and soon to be ex-blackberry, new iPhone user.

I stopped by the Apple store here in Oklahoma City this weekend and was asking how they were going to do in-store activations.

They looked at me as if I had lost my mind. They said that the phones sold at the Apple Store would be activated at home through iTunes just like the last release. They would not be doing any type of in-store activation.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi all...First post and soon to be ex-blackberry, new iPhone user.

I stopped by the Apple store here in Oklahoma City this weekend and was asking how they were going to do in-store activations.

They looked at me as if I had lost my mind. They said that the phones sold at the Apple Store would be activated at home through iTunes just like the last release. They would not be doing any type of in-store activation.
Hmm well that certainly contradicts the information that is being passed around. Word is that Apple and AT&T will be doing in store activation. The question is how are they going to do that.

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I thought that also. I assumed that they would either have AT&T reps in the Apple Store doing activations or have the software on Apple's registers and train them on how to use it (which seems like it would be a disaster).

This store employee specially said that they didn't, because they didn't want Apple to be responsible for the personal information that goes with setting up a phone contract. Whether he knew what he was talking about or not is anyone's guess.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
They might have AT&T reps at the Apple Store in case people had questions about their contract, other services, etc. I can't wait for the official information to be release. This speculation about activation is getting just as bad as speculating the features of the new iPhone, which turned out in the end a lot of the rumors were not true.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
iPhone 3G AT&T Activation Details: Doing It at Home is Possible, But Requires a Promise

Seems like everything is good now in activationland!

Apple Insider has just heard through an internal memo that people can actually leave a retail store without activating their iPhone 3G as long as they've signed a form saying that they intend to register with a 2-year service plan within 30 days. The retail guys would then input the IMEI number of your phone into their machines, which would enter AT&T's Death Star tracking machine to allow them to know whether or not you've properly activated. Now it all makes sense.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Yeah i just wanna know what im going to have to do, and really how long im going to need to set aside to be able to walk away with a 3g iphone. Im getting nervous that im not going to be able to get my hands on one of these phones too easily.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah i just wanna know what im going to have to do, and really how long im going to need to set aside to be able to walk away with a 3g iphone. Im getting nervous that im not going to be able to get my hands on one of these phones too easily.
If you want one, go to an Apple Store. I expect the AT&T store to run out of them sooner. When the original iPhone launched, AT&T in my area was out within the hour. Whereas the Apple Store had enough for everyone who wanted one.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
In the same camp (10/2007 on a blackberry) so I'm in non-eligible purgatory with the others until AT&T figures out what to do with us. I'll expect the worst (big $ to upgrade to iPhone along with an entirely new 2 year contract) then hope for pleasant surprises.

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm with CrazEtooN ... the people who seem to get screwed the MOST here are current AT&T customers who still have time left on their 2-year contract. Especially if we've been long-term customers. Doesn't anyone reward loyalty anymore?? (I know, I know .... the answer is obvious).

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Fresh from AT&T Customer Service

Ok, just talked to a AT&T rep on a unrelated matter, but asked about upgrading to the iPhone when it comes out.

His answer was that it would be the same as with the last release. When you activate your iphone you are signing a new 2 year contract. No penalty even if you have time left on your old one.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
If you want one, go to an Apple Store. I expect the AT&T store to run out of them sooner. When the original iPhone launched, AT&T in my area was out within the hour. Whereas the Apple Store had enough for everyone who wanted one.
I went to the AT&T store; sold out but got bad info. In and out of the Apple store in five minutes. Thirty minutes in the line at the AT&T store to be told that I could not activate there; got more bad info about my plan. Four hours on iTunes and to AT&T to finally get activated.

Lesson: Prefer the Apple store and iTunes. Avoid the AT&T store.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2