iPhone 3G pricing?

speced

Jun 7, 2008
Visit site
Do you guys think that apple will price the new iPhone correctly or maybe they'll make it really expensive again, like last year and give another rebate?

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I am cautiously optimistic that they will charge the right thing. I think they learned from last year's pricing debacle. At least I hope they learned...

nsquared

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Um... Apple has definitely learned their lesson from last year. Besides, they know that they now have to get aggressive with their pricing to keep competition from overtaking them. Look at all of the touchscreen phones now coming out! Not that any of them are good, but to keep people from just settling on another brand, they know they have to keep the momentum going. The days high prices with the original iPhone are gone, I believe.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I think the iPhone will be priced very competitively. I don't think the price will be outrageous and then have it drop a few months later. But Apple could also price it high and let carriers offer subsidies. It's all just a waiting game, a game that will end tomorrow.

speced

Jun 7, 2008
Visit site
I tend to agree with you guys. I think apple will price it correctly this time around. I've been wondering if the plan pricing will stay the same or if they will be charging more, considering people will probably be using more data as well as the rumored GPS.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I tend to agree with you guys. I think apple will price it correctly this time around. I've been wondering if the plan pricing will stay the same or if they will be charging more, considering people will probably be using more data as well as the rumored GPS.

Data prices have gone down in recent years, not up. Also, 3G isn't available in all areas, and they have never offered a 3G specific data plan in the past, so I doubt they will automatically charge more. If they do though, I can't realistically see it going up more than $5-10.

GPS is also independent of data. GPS just acquires a satellite signal to figure out your position. The mapping program is actually what uses the data, and the GPS just places the dot on the map. Paying $10 a month, or whatever it is, for TeleNav, or something similar, is for use of the program and voice directions, not the actual GPS.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I can't imagine them charging more for 3G data. That would just be a PR nightmare. As for the price of the actual iPhone 3G, I say the same price with all the new features. Apple loves to do that.

Ahambone

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
We were talking about this in the "Why will the iPhone fail" thread- price seems to be the big factor everyone agrees would cause this phone to fail. *Someone* at Apple has to be hip to that, and one would think that they wouldn't set a ridiculous price for this phone when it's released.

speced

Jun 7, 2008
Visit site
Data prices have gone down in recent years, not up. Also, 3G isn't available in all areas, and they have never offered a 3G specific data plan in the past, so I doubt they will automatically charge more. If they do though, I can't realistically see it going up more than $5-10.

GPS is also independent of data. GPS just acquires a satellite signal to figure out your position. The mapping program is actually what uses the data, and the GPS just places the dot on the map. Paying $10 a month, or whatever it is, for TeleNav, or something similar, is for use of the program and voice directions, not the actual GPS.

It looks like they will be charging more per month for the new 3G data plan. 30 bucks per month compared to 20, now that's not cool

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
It looks like they will be charging more per month for the new 3G data plan. 30 bucks per month compared to 20, now that's not cool

That's how they're bypassing the $200 iPhone price.
You're actually paying MORE than the original iPhone users (even though the device is half priced) because of the $30 data plan.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Ok, listen...

At&t has three data tiers. They have their MEdiaNet plans, their BlackBerry plans, and their PDA plans. Each of these tiers has subsections, but I will just concentrate on the personal side.

The PDA Personal plan is $30 a month for unlimited data, regardless of 2G or 3G.
The BlackBerry Personal plan is $30 a month for unlimited data, regardless of 2G or 3G.
The MEdiaNet unlimited is $20 a month for unlimited data + 200 texts, regardless of 2G or 3G.

The iPhone used to be considered a consumer/feature phone, and it was priced on scale with the MEdia Net packages. With it becoming an open platform and a competent business phone, it has now transcended into the realm of the smartphone, and as such, it is receiving smartphone/PDA data pricing.

They charge more for PDA/BlackBerry data use because they feel these user make use of far more bandwidth than a normal, consumer user.

If you have a Treo 750 and are paying $15 a month for MEdiaMax, you are getting away with something you aren't supposed to. Treo's should have the PDA Personal plan attached to them, NOT a MEdiaNet tier plan.

It has nothing to do with 2G/3G, regardless of what the press release says. It is just At&t bringing the iPhone inline with their other PDA/smartphone/BlackBerry devices.

There is also what Reaktor5 said. In essence, it is a combination of factors.

kevinbell

Jun 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, that makes sense. It's actually $15 MediaNet Unlimited + $5 200 Txt Msg which I think used to be called the $20 MediaMax+200. I'll keep my ignorance from AT&T for the time being. Moving to an iPhone will be expensive since my wife will want one as well... ; ) She has a Treo 680 with the $15 Media Unlimited Plan + $5 200 Txt Msg.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Ok, listen...

At&t has three data tiers. They have their MEdiaNet plans, their BlackBerry plans, and their PDA plans. Each of these tiers has subsections, but I will just concentrate on the personal side.

The PDA Personal plan is $30 a month for unlimited data, regardless of 2G or 3G.
The BlackBerry Personal plan is $30 a month for unlimited data, regardless of 2G or 3G.
The MEdiaNet unlimited is $20 a month for unlimited data + 200 texts, regardless of 2G or 3G.

The iPhone used to be considered a consumer/feature phone, and it was priced on scale with the MEdia Net packages. With it becoming an open platform and a competent business phone, it has now transcended into the realm of the smartphone, and as such, it is receiving smartphone/PDA data pricing.

They charge more for PDA/BlackBerry data use because they feel these user make use of far more bandwidth than a normal, consumer user.

If you have a Treo 750 and are paying $15 a month for MEdiaMax, you are getting away with something you aren't supposed to. Treo's should have the PDA Personal plan attached to them, NOT a MEdiaNet tier plan.

It has nothing to do with 2G/3G, regardless of what the press release says. It is just At&t bringing the iPhone inline with their other PDA/smartphone/BlackBerry devices.

There is also what Reaktor5 said. In essence, it is a combination of factors.

I think you should have the option of the old $20 data plan. If you don't live in a 3G area you'll be paying for something you don't use.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
You really have to blame AT&T for their pricing. They have to make everything so incredibly complicated that people just get confused. Why is there a PDA plan and a Blackberry plan? Couldn't they just say Consumer Data or Business Data?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
You really have to blame AT&T for their pricing. They have to make everything so incredibly complicated that people just get confused. Why is there a PDA plan and a Blackberry plan? Couldn't they just say Consumer Data or Business Data?

not making excuses... but at&t does pay extra to have a BIS site... which is why Blackberry services are generally more expensive per month... a TREO doesn't use BIS...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2