Goodbye Treo 680...Hello IPhone 3G

foulou

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site
I was an early adopter of the Palm 680 (Dec 2006). For the most part it has served me well. I only needed to replace it once and most of the apps work. However, lately I have had the random reboot on it's on syndrome. It's missing some features I want but I won't look to Palm to get them.

The main reasons I will be upgrading to the IPhone:

1. Slick User interface (no other phone compares)
2. Clean design
3. 3G
4. Bluetooth 2.0
5. WiFi
6. 2.0 Software with Enterprise Features
7. Compatible with my Simore Dual Sim card!!

With Apple finally bending and providing a SDK, apps will eventually be in abundance as it currently is with the Palm OS. I like the Centro and the new 800 series sounds promising but Palm as been really slow to market with phones and innovations. I will keep my 680 as a backup but for me, the buy in time is quickly approaching.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Not to burst your bubble, but apple is painfully slow as well. Still waiting for that first decent 3rd party app? Yeah? Copy and paste anyone?

1. Slick UI. I don't see it. It's a home page with icons. Click the home button on a centro and you get the same thing. Click the icon, you open an app. Both are user friendly.

2. Clean design. Or in other words, not many options with iphone. No menus hardly.

3. 3G. Is this day and age, we're all excited that apple will get out a 3G phone. I've been using the Centro and older Treos on EVDO for a long time now...with option to tether.

4. BT. Used it to sync once. I really don't get the appeal of headsets. May get BT stereo headphones one day..who knows.

5. Wifi. Great, if you're in a wifi spot. But then again, i'm using my laptop in that instance. It's just seldomly used for me.

6. 2.0 features and blah blah. It's vaporware til you see them. I'm still skeptical if we'll ever see anything like we did with palm as far as apps go.

As it is, i'll have to ebay the iphone 1.0 soon. It's really been nothing more than a music ipod and a worst one than the Centro. The browser is nice, but very slow. Surprisingly, i've pretty much found i just don't watch video on it and that's what i kept it around for. Seemed good at the time though. Just something i don't do when i'm out i guess.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Surprisingly, i've pretty much found i just don't watch video on it and that's what i kept it around for. Seemed good at the time though. Just something i don't do when i'm out i guess.

The opportunities for watching video during the course of the day are pretty small. You cant do it went brushing your teeth, driving, even waiting in line, certainly not when working, and when you get back home you are again sitting in front of your 50 inch TV.

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
The UI is more than just the launcher. The various finger gestures really do make most people more productive. The various UI elements (pickers, scrollers, etc.) are generally well-thought out and well implemented (with a few minor nits).

"No menus hardly" is not necessarily a bad thing. More options would be nice, but it's actually considered a good thing in UI design to hide things that are used less often while making it easy to do things that are done frequently. Even Microsoft has started to move away from menus (office 2007), because they aren't even necessarily the best UI for desktop apps; they almost certainly aren't the best UI for mobile apps.

As for third-party apps, what you're going to see is going to blow away anything ever done on palm. I've programmed for both, and doing anything beyond "pocket organizer apps" on the palm is a royal pain. It had horrible support for graphics, multimedia, and very antiquated support for internet connectivity. iphone has built-in api's to allow 2d and 3d graphics, multimedia playback and streaming, a full, mature network stack, web page display, etc. It's miraculous what people have been able to accomplish on the palm (chatter!), but many of the programs that load up my palm devices can be written in just a day or two for the iphone. There are some issues, still, but I really think you're going to see a remarkable ecosystem of third-party apps, sold at a much lower price point than for palm and WM. I've been spending my evenings writing iphone apps lately, and i've written four programs in the time it would have taken me to write half of one on the palm.

Not to burst your bubble, but apple is painfully slow as well. Still waiting for that first decent 3rd party app? Yeah? Copy and paste anyone?

1. Slick UI. I don't see it. It's a home page with icons. Click the home button on a centro and you get the same thing. Click the icon, you open an app. Both are user friendly.

2. Clean design. Or in other words, not many options with iphone. No menus hardly.

3. 3G. Is this day and age, we're all excited that apple will get out a 3G phone. I've been using the Centro and older Treos on EVDO for a long time now...with option to tether.

4. BT. Used it to sync once. I really don't get the appeal of headsets. May get BT stereo headphones one day..who knows.

5. Wifi. Great, if you're in a wifi spot. But then again, i'm using my laptop in that instance. It's just seldomly used for me.

6. 2.0 features and blah blah. It's vaporware til you see them. I'm still skeptical if we'll ever see anything like we did with palm as far as apps go.

As it is, i'll have to ebay the iphone 1.0 soon. It's really been nothing more than a music ipod and a worst one than the Centro. The browser is nice, but very slow. Surprisingly, i've pretty much found i just don't watch video on it and that's what i kept it around for. Seemed good at the time though. Just something i don't do when i'm out i guess.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
The opportunities for watching video during the course of the day are pretty small. You cant do it went brushing your teeth, driving, even waiting in line, certainly not when working, and when you get back home you are again sitting in front of your 50 inch TV.

Surur

Only 50 inches, Surur? :)

The only time I watch video on my phone is when i'm waiting for my wife to pick out a dress at the mall. I find one of the "man benches" and pull out my earphones.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for that post. I am real curious about the iphone apps though. And will keep following the progress.

foulou

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site

Cardfan,

Do you work for Palm? As soon as Apple said "Enterprise" they declared war on Blackberrys and Windows Mobile phones. If I did an apples to apples comparison of a newly released phone (I.E. Treo 680 & IPhone) there is no comparison. Have you noticed the IPhone knockoffs, how many Treo knockoffs have you seen?

I'm not an Apple everything fan, but I won't argue with a superior product. Everything that the IPhone is missing, will show up in a short period of time. Potential monetary revenue will see to it.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Treo knockoffs? Problem is, even those knockoffs got old..lol

There were plenty of them.

No, i don't work for Palm, but i've used palm since the treo 300. How can you sit and say the iphone is a superior product when it can't do even half of what the Centro does?

Everything the iphone is missing won't show up unless you perhaps buy iphone 2.0. Like i said, i remain doubtful that even this version bridges the gap.

Went on a road trip yesterday..had both phones with me. Sure the iphone is good to browse on, if it didn't take so long to load up a page. With the Centro, i'm zipping right along reading what i want even if it didn't display as well.

Got bored, played around streaming a few videos. Iphone was too slow to even attempt it.

Decided to play some games. Picked up the centro because well..you know, the iphone doesn't have em.

Recorded some video of the kiddo..had to use the centro.

Decided to check some stuff on my laptop, used the Centro to tether it. Sorry, but iphone was useless here.

I could go on and on. The point is, the iphone isn't there yet. I'd have picked it up to watch video already synced to it, but that's it. Anything else was superior on the Centro while on the roadtrip.

Perhaps Apple will get it going later, i'm sure they will. As it is, it's dependent on wifi for the most part and lacks way too much. What we're waiting around for apple to do is catch up to Palm.

And yes, the iphone's screen is gorgeous. Always has been.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Only 50 inches, Surur? :)

The only time I watch video on my phone is when i'm waiting for my wife to pick out a dress at the mall. I find one of the "man benches" and pull out my earphones.

what i enjoy most about the iPhone (which i will probably swap for an iTouch); i watch tv shows/movies almost every day when riding the lifecycle. i also love being able to surf the internet when "waiting around."

still don't understand not being able to delete more than one email at a time.

hope all is well

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711