Are you an original iPhone owner?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
So I'm curious, who are the true fanboys/fangirls that have been iPhone owners since the release of the original iPhone? :p Did anyone here stand in line for the iPhone 2G?

About a week after the iPhone 2G was released, I was in the main Apple Store in San Francisco and they were putting on a demonstration of the iPhone. I played around with one and told my husband and friend that there's no reason why anyone would need all of that on a phone (I was a RAZR owner).

Two months later my dad bought me an 8GB iPhone because I wouldn't shut up about how cool it was.

I discovered TiPb a few weeks before the iPhone 3G was released.

Here are a couple pics of my iPhone 2G. Yes, I still have it. It's pretty beat up actually. I may get better pics later.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

hgradeca

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I have got my first iPhone 2G almost two years ago.
Before that, I used a Palm Treo 680.
And now the short story how I got it:
I didn't have enough money to buy a new or at least fully functional iPhone, so I decided to buy a one with a broken glass. Since that one worked great and I managed to replace the broken glass, I have bought several more non functional iPhones 2G, repaired them and gave them to my girlfriend, mom and a friend. :) Some of them had broken screens, some had battery issues and some had non-functional motherboards, but in the end I managed to combine parts from the six of them (and some screens from eBay) and got four fully functional iPhones. :)
The one that I use is here on the pictures, sitting on top of my PowerBook 100. ;)
I now use it as a second phone and it is still working great. :) Hope to use it for the years to come. :)
It is a 16 GB model.
I would really love if Apple made an iPhone with metal casing again.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Not only do I still have the original iPhone but I turned it into a 16GB "GamePADD" for my kids after I upgraded to the 3GS. Mine's also pretty beat up too. I'm more of a tech-horder than a fanboy but I don't like throwing away things that still work. Can't post any picks though because I'm at work.

JorjLim

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The Original iPhone was actually my first Apple product.
I still use the dock it came with, as my iPhone 4 fits perfectly in it.

Here are some picks, its probably the most beat up, any product I've ever owned has been.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine has definitely been beat to hell and back. When turned on it displays an error message saying there is something wrong with the hardware. This was my second apple product (my first was a 30 gig ipod video i got for christmas in 2005)

Last edited by a moderator:

Webcrsn

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Fanboy or not?

I don't know if this makes me a fanboy, but I bought the original iPhone and then bought the 3G to get the extra speed. When the iPad came out, I dropped the iPhone and went to the iPad and used text messaging apps ad VOIP apps to replace my phone. I just bought the iPad2 and will be overjoyed when IOS5 comes out and solves most of the deficiencies to all those Android phones.

spades1412

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
How many people are still using the original iPhone as their main device? I wish I would have been an iPhone owner from the start. I was one of those that said he would never buy into the hype. My first was the 3GS. have since bought the 4, an iPad, ATV, and MBP. The experiance with Apple products has made me a fanboy.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Oh my goodness George! Yours is super beat up! Haha.

The iPhone 2G was my 2nd Apple product. My first was a 1st gen iPod nano. I have since purchased, in order: iPhone 3G, late 2008 13" aluminum MacBook, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPhone 4, iPad 2, and 2011 27" iMac. I stood in line for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPhone 4, and iPad 2.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I purchased the original iPhone launch weekend, but it wasn't my first apple product at all. Sold it when the 3G came out. One of our former sales counselors still rocked one and was going to replace it, but then his wife delivered a tax credit that he now has to feed and house.

I can't imagine using a 2g model...

dljeffery

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Stood in line and bought my original iPhone (8GB) on launch day, June 29, 2007. Loved it and used it until it went for an unplanned swim in an iced Americano on April 1, 2009. :( I was planning on holding out for the 3GS before upgrading, but had to run out and buy a 3G (16GB) the same day to tide me over. I ended up preordering the 3GS (32GB) as soon as the order page went live (paying $200 extra for the early upgrade... ouch... although it was still less than the $600 I originally paid for the first model). And then preordered the 4 (32GB) as soon as that was an option.

Every model has been a huge improvement over the previous one... especially the iPhone 4. I'm glad the iPhone 5 hasn't launched yet; I need more time to save my pennies!

While the original iPhone is definitely dead (stuck in an infinite restore loop), I still use the 3GS and sometimes the 3G as test devices for iOS apps under development.

All four pictured, along with my first iPod, the 5GB model with real wheel and buttons...

View attachment 9309

Reactions: thoughthalo

iPhoneGleek

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I wanted an iPhone when they first came out but didnt have the money or the need to have a smartphone at the time but i finally got mine like 6 months ago but my brother found a 2G iPhone a while ago and uses it as an ipod now.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I got the 2G the week before the 3G came out. My brother works for O2 in the UK and with staff discount and all the other promotional offers to get rid of them it only cost me ?80 ($125 i think). Since then I've had the 3Gs and iPhone4 on launch days.

Before I had an iPhone i was a true Microsoft fan. I'm even quoted as saying 'Why would I want an iPod, you wait until Microsoft bring out their own, it will be so much better' How wrong was I?

cajunrph

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Between my wife and myself we have had all versions of the iPhone. My wife first had the 2G, then I traded a BlackBerry Bold 9000 for a 3G. Next she got a 3GS, then we both picked up some 4's in December. I was going to get the 4 when it first came out but I could not pre-order it due to the tremendous traffic the online store was getting. All of them work and the 2G and 3G are used as iPod touches by our children. I had iPods before the iPhones which introduced me to Apple products. My experience with the iPods and iTunes led me to purchase a MacBook and we just picked up an iMac 21.5 inch computer. We have been successful in not getting an iPad so far. But they are so tempting, and I have the MacBook anyway.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I liked the first generation iPhone but it took me a while to warm up to buying it...finally one day (before i paid any attention to the blogs and websites that discussed this stuff), i went out and bought it and loved it...then i looked online to see if there was any way to make custom ring tones and found out about the 3G (which was releasing like a month after i bought it)...i found out that they were giving an upgrade to people who bought the first gen, and were refunding the purchase cost of the iPhone we had (i paid $400 or whatever it was because i didn't want to extend my contract)...

Flash forward to a few weeks later and me and the wife were waiting outside of the AT&T store for the 3G, and ended up getting both of the 3G's (me and my wife's) for the money i paid for the first generation...worked out perfectly.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I got the original iphone a couple weekends after they released it. Funny story on how I got the $ for it, I live in the Redmond Wa area and did a usability study for Microsoft one weekend of playing a video game and they gave me a bunch of free software. Sold it on craigslist and bought me an iPhone Thanks Microsoft!:D. I still have it and let my 2 year old use it on car trips to keep him occupied. Before that I had a Treo 750 and migrated over to phonedifferent.com from Treocentral.com with Dieter and Mike. I upgraded to the 3GS 32GB and its getting a little long in the tooth cant wait for the new model. My b-day is in Sept. so I'm already laying on the hints pretty thick to my wife.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have had MBPs before the iPhone. When it was previewed I instantly fell in love. I was using a Motorolla Ming at the time and I downloaded the Marimba ringtone and put the Nemo wallpaper since my phone was touch screen it made me feel like I had an iPhone. As you can see by my user stats I'm from Canada so we never got the 2G. We didn't get the iPhone until the 3G, so I was dying to get the 2G when my friend who makes regular trips to Buffalo asked me if I wanted him to buy me one. I paid full price and at that time Canadian was double American money so I paid almost $800 Canadian for it! In an effort to escape duty my friend had to take it out of the box so all I have is my phone and my receipt. He had bought for friends and Family so he had about 8 of them which is why he had to remove it from the box. I still have it, it's still JBen and unlocked I even tried to switch back to it from my 4 the other day. I've owned the 3G and now the 4 soon to be the 5. Pictures will follow later once I get home and take some.

img0468nt.jpg

img0470qe.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I live down in Australia... so no iPhone (2G)... ): But I DID get the iPhone 3G!!! Wish I HAD gotten the iPhone (2G) though.

My friend's iPhone (2G) has been the most sturdy and has had the most amazing battery life I've seen.

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I still have my 1st gen iPhone that my youngest uses as an iPod. My 3G is being used by my middle as an iPod. The oldest has an android phone as does the wife. I think the girls just have to be different. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2