Are you an original iPhone owner?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I like this thread ended reading all four pages

As a long time Sprint customer the original iPhone was out of reach but I could have seen myself getting it when it came out

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've posted on this thread before but yup I have the original still working good. It will stay charged for about 7 days with no use. Wifi works all the old apps and games work well.
I only waited in line about 20 mins. The line wasn't even organized by an ATT employee. It was organized by the first people that got there and they passed out numbers on pieces of paper so you could leave and come back. People didn't start to line up until the store reopened around 4pm or something.
The nightmare was activation. You had to do that at home via iTunes there was no in store activation. I rushed home and got lucky and was activated in a few min. Some waited a week or more for activation to go through.
Having that first iPhone was a attention getter for sure. Everybody wanted to see it. People would crowd around me in bars to see it. It was a sure fire conversation starter with women.( I'm just telling the truth) Once folks saw you had The iPhone you were a star Lol. Those were the days 😎

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So the phone arrived literally 24 hours after I ordered it. Kind of fun just going through the menu's of iOS 3.1.3 and seeing what iPhone users at the time had to endure.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No kidding. I used a SIM adapter and actually tried to use one of my original iPhones. No iCloud and (at the time I tried it) no way to sync contacts through iTunes, though that function has been returned.

It was a challenge - but it was kind of cool to use it and to see the reaction of other iPhone users.

I had a thought of what it would be like to put my SIM in it for a day just to see how I get by. I thought about iCloud and the 3rd party apps that I cannot install on it. It would be literally unusable for me other than using it for phone calls.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
No, but I wish I would have been! At the time of the iPhone 2g, I was only 10 years old, and I was more interested in toys and stuff. If I would have been the age I am right now when the 2g came out, I guarantee I would've bought it. I have seen the keynote a couple times and every time it still amazes me at what a leap it was going from the current smartphones to the iPhone. I wish I would've been in on the hype for the 2g :)

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I had a thought of what it would be like to put my SIM in it for a day just to see how I get by. I thought about iCloud and the 3rd party apps that I cannot install on it. It would be literally unusable for me other than using it for phone calls.

It wouldn't even be usable for phone calls for me. I only have 30 minutes and no texts, but I do have unlimited data, so I use Hangouts with Google Voice to text and call people through data.

I also use Google Play Music so I couldn't even use the original iPhone as an MP3 player now.

To answer the original question, though, nope. Never had the original iPhone. Didn't have a job so obviously no money back then. The iPhone came out my last year of high school. I did get a job after I graduated, though, and got my first iPhone (3G) at the end of summer. Got the 3GS and 4 on their respective launch days, then switched to Verizon a year later. The 4S wasn't out yet, I didn't want to get another iPhone 4, and I really wanted an LTE phone (mine was one of the first 30 cities with LTE) so I switched to Android and didn't come back until the 5s.

Ha P McBroom

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I got my iPhone 2G in 2007 I got a lot of flack from my Family at first. But I didn't care it was exciting and it worked great. Back then the speed and apps ran great for me and I was on AT&T so I had good coverage & visual voicemail and and it was great. Then it all changed when Apple launched the 3G shortly after. I was devastated because it was not even a year later or 2 years and it was cheaper. Oh I wanted to upgrade but I was told only at full price. So I kept my 2G and then my screen cracked so I had Apple Care but all they did was send me another 2G which I still have. Now fast forward several years later my app store and iTunes store apps no longer work & neither does visual voicemail but that's ok. So its only for phone calls now & nothing else. I had At&t convert it to a prepaid plan since it can't do much else. I gave it to my mom to use until it dies or they shut down the 2G network. I was told At&t will shut down the 2G network in 2017 so we've got 2 years left to enjoy it. I was bitter for awhile but I am not anymore I learned sometimes it's best not to be an early adopter of new technologies unless your prepared for disappointment. Still it was a great phone and it still is even though it's limited by not being supported anymore. Cheers to ya my fellow 2G iPhone friends. Let's go as far as we can.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunatly I wasn't. I was heavy into Blackberry in those days. I was one of those Apple haters....LOL. Boy, what a mistake I was making all those years until I finally picked up my first iPhone (5s). I now know what I was missing, My iPhone 5s was the longest I had any previous smartphone/phone....."IT JUST WORKS"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro