Disable Printing from iPad?

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
We have an iPad Mini that we let our 4-year-old son use. Recently, he's been printing from the iPad to our AirPrint printer. Is there a way to disable the print function from the iPad? I don't to disable the printer, as I use that from my phone occasionally. Thoughts?

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Do you have an app on the iPad for the printer? I have printer pro on my 9.7" pro that I use. I would think if you went into settings you could probably disable it just from the iPad and it would still work from your iPhone.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you have an app on the iPad for the printer? I have printer pro on my 9.7" pro that I use. I would think if you went into settings you could probably disable it just from the iPad and it would still work from your iPhone.

I don't have a specific app. Our printer is AirPrint enabled, so it automatically shows up in the share area on the iPad.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm. Wondering if you could go into settings on the printer or on the iPad itself and disable it that way. That's the only way I can think of.

Sorry if I wasn't that much help.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Just remove the printer from the list of available printers ...

Unfortunately, turning off wifi on the iPad is not an option and there's nothing in the iPad settings that I've found so far. And I don't know what you mean by "remove the printer from the list of available printers"? The iPad doesn't keep a list that I know of. It just automatically connects with any AirPrint enabled printer. One instance where Apple's desire for ease of use trumps the ability to get granular with controls.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
You're correct, it does just automatically connect. I think we're trying to outsmart ourselves here when the solution is simple as telling your kid to not print stuff anymore without permission, or you'll take the iPad away. Be a parent ...

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I think we're trying to outsmart ourselves here when the solution is simple as telling your kid to not print stuff anymore without permission, or you'll take the iPad away. Be a parent ...

I agree that those are both options. My son is 4, so I don't even think he's purposely printing stuff. Just happens to hit the wrong buttons and out comes a couple pages of color sheets. As for taking the iPad away, I would if I thought he were deliberately wasting printer ink (which costs more than unicorn tears) but I know he's not, so taking away the iPad would be a bit extreme at this point.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. I was fairly certain there was no way to disable printing from an iPad, I just wanted to double-check with smarter minds to confirm!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
There is a way, but it is a little bit of work. You an setup a guest network on your wireless router and connect the iPad to that. Your child will still have wifi access but not to the internal connected items.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
You could go into the settings for each app where the print option is, and move the print button to the end of the list. That way your child has to work harder to unintentionally press it.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
There is a way, but it is a little bit of work. You an setup a guest network on your wireless router and connect the iPad to that. Your child will still have wifi access but not to the internal connected items.

I hadn't thought of that. I use an AirPort Extreme, so setting up a guest network should be pretty easy. I think this is going to be my best solution. Thanks!

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your help everyone! As a conclusion to my saga: I took bamf-hacker's advice and created a guest network with my AirPort Extreme. Took a little bit of work because I have two routers, the AirPort was in bridge mode (which throws errors because it tries to create a VLAN in order to make a guest network when in Brodge Mode), but was eventually able to figure it out. All is good! Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2