How much GB do I need for a child's iPad use?

I

iMore Question

how much gb do I need for a child's use of ipad

this ipad will be for a 5 year old who will use educational apps, youtube, stream movies from netflix, etc. do I need 16 or 32 gb?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: how much gb do I need for a child's use of ipad

Welcome to iMore!

I would say go with the 32GB if you can afford it. This way your child can grow into it. If not the 16GB will work depending on how large the educational apps are. Netflix and YouTube will take up virtually no room at all if your child is streaming directly from them. If they are downloading for viewing later it will take up considerably more. So just a couple things to consider when making your decision. Pictures, videos & music will always take up the most room.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

You probably should go with the 16GB unless you're planning on downloading a lot of apps. If you want the iPad to last for a few years, I'd recommend getting the 32GB version.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

16 GB should be more than enough for a 5 year old, in my opinion.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

We have a 32GB and have a few larger games on it (LEGO, for example). We do stream YouTube and Netflix.

Went on vacation and we could load a few movies from iTunes, but not enough to last the whole vacation for the road trips. Times like that I wished we had larger ones but otherwise the 32gb is sufficient.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I find that even a child can blow through 16 GB pretty quickly. I would aim for 32 GB or more, but get what you can afford.

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

Here is another way to think about it: Do you want to put your money into a hard drive or a data plan? If you are going to be downloading a lot of really big apps, even 32GB is not big enough over the long term. There is something to be said about being very selective. A few great educational apps are better than a bunch of lousy ones.

You are going to be doing a lot on the web and streaming. How much traveling will you be doing? If the iPad will mainly be used at home, go with the hard drive. If it will be an important part of mobile adventures, go with the data plan.

goober84

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

Just saw this but if you have not purchased an iPad as of yet then I'd strongly suggest at least 32 gb, even for a child. iOS takes up roughly 9 gb of storage on the device so you're looking at only 7 or so gb to play around with.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

32gb would be the sweet spot, although 16gb should be plenty enough.

r3id

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

32GB should be the min for any user tbh.

My 2yo has my old 32GB iPad Air and it's full of games and CBEEBIES shows on iPlayer app. Great for long trips in the car ;)

Just got our 6yo a iPad Mini which was 32GB too.

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

I think 16 is great enough for a kid. Just to start. They are not going to take a lot of photos and videos and use social medias app that store data and stuff. I'm my opinion the 16GB is great but if you can afford an iPad with more storage go for the 32. More is better and you don't have to worry

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
16 GB would be fine with moderation. 32 will allow more flexibility. Like others have said, sometimes you may not want to rely on data plans. So storing locally may come in handy. For instance, I took my wife and kids on a road trip a while back. When my daughter got restless we let her watch a movie on the iPad that I downloaded to the device prior to the trip. Having that extra space allowed that. Things like that would be tough with 16 GB once you have the other apps and things on there.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Just saw this but if you have not purchased an iPad as of yet then I'd strongly suggest at least 32 gb, even for a child. iOS takes up roughly 9 gb of storage on the device so you're looking at only 7 or so gb to play around with.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

On the 16GB version, iOS takes around 5GB. So ~11GB left, which is plenty for a 5 year old.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

On the 16GB version, iOS takes around 5GB. So ~11GB left, which is plenty for a 5 year old.

It depends. 16 GB works just fine until you try to put movies on it. Once that happens more storage goes a long way.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

this ipad will be for a 5 year old who will use educational apps, youtube, stream movies from netflix, etc. do I need 16 or 32 gb?

Probable none. I never needed one and I was fine. For a boy some building blocks, toy soldiers, maybe a chalk board.

For a girl. Dolls, play dish set, colouring book.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Probable none. I never needed one and I was fine. For a boy some building blocks, toy soldiers, maybe a chalk board.

For a girl. Dolls, play dish set, colouring book.

That's like saying "Nobody needs a car. My great, great grandfather got along just fine riding a horse."

My son had an iPad when he was five years old. We limited his time and filled it with educational apps. Schools do the same thing today because they realize that there's educational value in iPads as long as they're loaded with the right content.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

That's like saying "Nobody needs a car. My great, great grandfather got along just fine riding a horse."

My son had an iPad when he was five years old. We limited his time and filled it with educational apps. Schools do the same thing today because they realize that there's educational value in iPads as long as they're loaded with the right content.

True. Horses would be better than cars. I agree with you. Chalk boards worked great in school.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh