Why do keyboard shortcuts are not working in iOS 8.3?

RodolfoLd

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Keyboard shortcuts suddenly stopped working and I don't know why. People suggest deleting them and re-typing them down, but they are just way too many shortcuts and they all get synced across all my devices; I fear that by deleting and re-typing them maybe they won't get properly synced.
Anyways, shortcuts do work on iPhone, they do work on MacBook Pro, they do work on iMac, issue is only happening on my iPad Air.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They work, but they don't stay deleted once you delete them. They come back. There's no fix. You can restore your phone and that fixes it. It deletes all the shortcuts and you start fresh. But you have to restore as new. And that's a pain. But it's what I had to do last month. I'm glad I did. But no fix for this problem with shortcuts. If you think you have it fixed, try a reboot. A hard reset. Any reboot will bring the shortcuts you deleted back. I've been on the Apple Discussions forum about this issue. Apple needs to fix it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Tapping save works, but my iPad forgets keyboard shortcuts periodically and when restarting requiring me to do that over and over.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Tapping save works, but my iPad forgets keyboard shortcuts periodically and when restarting requiring me to do that over and over.

I don't know what to tell you. The same shortcuts I created on my iPhone 5 carried over to my iPhone 5S and to my current device, the iPhone 6 Plus. I've performed numerous clean installs on them all and I've yet to have to re-enter any of my keyboard shortcuts or have had any problems with them disappearing.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you. The same shortcuts I created on my iPhone 5 carried over to my iPhone 5S and to my current device, the iPhone 6 Plus. I've performed numerous clean installs on them all and I've yet to have to re-enter any of my keyboard shortcuts or have had any problems with them disappearing.

I don't have any problems with them disappearing, they simply stop working.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
For me the easiest way to reproduce it is to reboot my iPad. It only seems to happen on my iPad. My iPhone works fine.

It happens on my iPhone and my iPad. It's never permanent. When it doesn't work, I just wait a while and it starts working again. But when it happens, it's for all shortcuts, not just certain ones.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
It happens on my iPhone and my iPad. It's never permanent. When it doesn't work, I just wait a while and it starts working again. But when it happens, it's for all shortcuts, not just certain ones.

Yes it affects all shortcuts. Quick work around is to open an existing shortcut and tap save. That fixes all devices on the same iCloud account. For me it always happens on my iPad after a restart.

It's a minorish, but annoying bug. A more annoying bug introduced in iOS 8.3 is the one that causes Mail to stop working until the app is killed.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Booting up after installing iOS 8.4, my keyboard shortcuts were working for the first time since upgrading to 8.3 without me needing to open a shortcut and tap save, so it looks like this is fixed in iOS 8.4.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Booting up after installing iOS 8.4, my keyboard shortcuts were working for the first time since upgrading to 8.3 without me needing to open a shortcut and tap save, so it looks like this is fixed in iOS 8.4.

Well it turns out it's not fixed. I rebooted my iPad and once again keyboard shortcuts didn't work until I saved an existing shortcut. Not sure why it worked right after the update.

Ed Lorman

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
This works for me.

Go to your list of shortcuts (in Settings; Keyboard; Shortcuts)

Select any of your existing shortcuts and without doing anything else, click 'save'.

Your shortcuts should miraculously work again....

E.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox