Which do you think is better for college use - an iPad or a MacBook?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I would say a laptop, depending on what your usage is going to be. I know there will most likely be lots of typing, and unless you want to trudge to the computer lab everytime you have a paper or something to type, the macbook will last, and be able to do more, and should easily last throughout college and longer if you take good care of it.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Get the iPad. A lot of colleges have full on desktops or iMacs running OS X to running Windows. My college has iMacs everywhere, you literally can walk into the A Building on campus and like 10-12 iMacs you can use to do work. In class in particular, a tablet can be used for digital textbooks, and any relevant class materials. For example, I buy most of my books on Kindle, so I can have a lighter workload devoid of carrying books. I currently am still shopping around for a tablet, but if I need to I can pull up my entire History book on my phone.

A tablet would not only be good for books, it would be good for putting down assignments and calender events, and reminders and have them synced to your phone. Touch screen interface is so much easier for navigation than unfolding and typing up what you need to do as well. But this all is dependent on you getting out of your pj's and going somewhere to do your work. Then again, with a Bluetooth keyboard, you can type up your essays in Microsoft word or Apples iWork suite.

I would put it like this, if your school has long library hours with open access to desktop computers, then get the iPad, if your school doesn't get a Macbook Air 11. But on that same vein, some students encounter problems running certain software for classes, for example macbooks aren't the best for stuff like Myitlab as office sill hasn't been updated for Mac OS X.

In your case, since you mentioned funds, I would get the iPad. Safest bet and you can get a keyboard case or bluetooth case anywhere to do some work if you want or need to.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
IMHO laptops are serious overkill for 99% of us! I would get an iPad Air 2

Sent from my  6+

I agree with this. My windows laptop is on its last legs and won't last much longer. I have an iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 and phone 6 plus. If I'm honest these devices probably fulfil 99% of my computing needs. Over the past year I barely used my laptop anyway. I'm contemplating buying a new laptop and am considering a MacBook Air. However I keep coming back to the notion that I can't justify buying a laptop when I'd hardly ever use it and the devices I already own are more than sufficient.

However I think if I were a student again I'd want a laptop for doing work.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Go with the Macbook. I can do a lot of school work on my iPad Air but I cannot upload my assignments to turn in my work. For this I have to use my Mac. I would hate for you to get the iPad Air and run into the same problem. To be on the safe side check your schools minimum computing requirements.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
If your really keen on getting an iPad why not get the iPad and chromebook. They are relatively cheap and unless you are doing maths, science, engineering, computing or Art and design they should be good for most other academic course. They have keyboards so you can type up all yor assignments and can even make PowerPoint presentations.

During my first stint at college I studied science and so needed a fully functional laptop. However when I went back to college to train to be a nurse i bought myself a chromebook and it sufficed for the three years. I had a windows laptop but never needed it. The chromebook allowed me to type up all my assignments, make PowerPoint presentations, upload to turn it in, and it was really light and thin so I'd often take it to class. Also due to it's price I never had to worry about it getting stolen or damaged.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I had a pc laptop back when I was in school but even if I had an iPad at the time I would still go with the pc laptop/ Mac book . I find it a lot easier to use , bigger screen and mouse/ trackpad is a huge plus imo.

Tbh I would rather just get a cheap $400 dollar pc laptop and use that imo unless you need the software Apple gives you .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
First , let me say thank you for all of input. I think I have made a decision and will get the iPad.

I think this will be the way to go in terms of portability and convenience. I will use my PC for all assignment that need office.

Thanks again to all of you for your opinion.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
First , let me say thank you for all of input. I think I have made a decision and will get the iPad.

I think this will be the way to go in terms of portability and convenience. I will use my PC for all assignment that need office.

I can use office on my iPad and never paid for office 365 . I can make new documents whenever I want

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

Oh if you have a desktop computer to use then I'd say go for the iPad 100%. 😀

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73