Totally torn (help please)

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So I'm 100% sure I'm going to buy an iPad mini 2. Now I'm torn between weather to get a 32 gb or a 16. Best buy has the 16 right now for $270 (basically a steal) and the 32 for $320 (which is still dirt cheap I know).

However, I've always owned 16 gig iPhones and iPads in the past and have never reached the 16 gig limit (in fact right now my iPhone only had 11.5gigs used). On my iPads I never put music on them as I find it better suited for my phone. I also have wifi like 90% of the time so I do a lot of steaming video/music etc.

I never have video on either my iPad or iPhone and don't play THAT many games either. The only thing I do have on my iPad that take a significant amount of storage are a few DAWs (cubase, nanostudio, and beatmaker 2) since I like to produce but even those don't put me over the storage limit.

I know the saying is buy as much storage as you can afford, and while The 32 gig is super cheap and I can afford both of them easily(yay tax returns haha) I'm still debating on whether I should save the few extra box and go with the 16 or if I should get the 32.

My problem is I don't want to buy the 32, not even you 16 gigs of storage, and then be upset that I wasted the extra money on the 32. However I also don't want to pass up on this deal and then be regretting it the whole time because it was so cheap.

So basically I would like your advice on which one you think I should get and also anyone that has a 32 gig or how your iPad what do you do with it/ have on it that causes you to use up all that storage?

Thanks in advance Imoreian's? Haha

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm of the "buy as much as you can afford" school. I had a 128GB Mini 2 and replaced it with a 128GB Air 2. But then I travel a fair amount, and I always have 8-10 movies on my iPad, plus games, apps and a bit of music.

It really is a matter of personal choice.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The most important thing to remember is that regardless of what capacity you buy, the tablet will still be just as good. A 16 GB Mini 2 can run apps just as well as a 128 GB Mini 2.

You should buy storage for the amount of software you expect to put on the tablet. Cycling media isn't that big of a deal if you have a computer to manage your device with but constantly deleting and reinstalling apps because you don't have enough space is annoying. If you know that all the apps you want to have to be happy will fit on the 16, than go for the 16.

Personally, I use a 64 GB Air. I can't go anywhere without my Jazz music collection lol

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
constantly deleting and reinstalling apps because you don't have enough space is annoying.

This is the main reason I'm leaning toward a 32 but I don't know (UGH! Lol) I mean I know I could easily servive on a 16 but that 32 isn't hardly any more expensive and it'd be nice to have the security. Although that extra 50 bucks would be nice too.

Also I should have mentioned that that was old my iPad and I don't currently have one so I can't really check to see if there are enough tablet apps that would warrant a 32 gig.

Now I know I need make up my mind myself and that the end decision is ultimately mine, I'm just looking for some general help on what other people think would be a good buy for me in this situation hence why I'm giving all of that information about my usage.

PS. Although I don't listen to it too often smooth jazz is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Edit: I just had an epiphany lol! So I have an laptop that is about 1000 years old, slow as crap and I hardly ever use it for anything more than iTunes. I never really have any use for a computer that could be solved with an iPad. Still I've always thought and used an iPad as though it was a companion device for a computer and a smart phone rather then a separate device like a computer. So I think I'm going to get the 32 and just treat it as my computer in the sense of storing all of my photos, all of my music, all of my editing apps, all of my DAW's Etc...

Sorry to make such a stupid thread when I figured out what I'm going to do myself anyway. Again thanks you guys.

Last edited:

Nathan Bael

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
If you game much don't get the 16. I have a 16gb mini 2 and have to delete apps often. iPad only versions of games and apps usually take up more space. Also, I tend to prefer using the iPad over the iPhone on many apps because of the larger screen. Many apps that I wouldn't consider using on an iPhone are awesome in an iPad mini. Besides, usually extra storage is $100 with apple, so $50 is a steal.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm of the more storage is better opinion. Having excess space doesn't negatively impact use. Running out of space does.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you make sacrifices with the 16 gb? If not and you're OK with 16, then get that, and spend the $50 on a few nice apps.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you make sacrifices with the 16 gb? If not and you're OK with 16, then get that, and spend the $50 on a few nice apps.

I almost did it exactly this but Best Buy is having a two day sale today and tomorrow, and even though it makes the 16 gig only $250, the 32 was only $300 which is just too hard to pass up so I had to get it

Thanks for all your help guys

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I almost did it exactly this but Best Buy is having a two day sale today and tomorrow, and even though it makes the 16 gig only $250, the 32 was only $300 which is just too hard to pass up so I had to get it

Thanks for all your help guys
Great! Enjoy your 32 gigs. What are you going to fill it up with? Anything in particular, or a bunch of different stuff? :)

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I definitely think you've made the right choice. iOS 8 is bigger than a lot of the previous OSs. Then if you want to use iCloud photo etc across your devices you may find you need the space. I'm fed up of managing space, having to delete apps and videos and basically not being able to use my devices as I want to. This time I didn't play around with storage I got 128GB for my iPhone 6 plus, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. That way I'll not have to compromise and can just use my devices exactly as I want to.

isen

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Less isn't always more...

...and a saying from long-long ago (goes something like); It's better to have dope in times of no money, than money in times of no dope.

This logic may be lost on some...

Do what you do. Be happy, and don't look back. :)

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
32 GB. I'd rather have the storage and not use it instead of not having the storage and needing more.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 16GB iPad mini 2 when it originally came out. I regret not going to 32 GB. It's annoying having to manage apps, including deleting them when upgrading to the latest iOS.

Even though it's in brand new condition, might be time to sell it and move up to a iPad mini 3 with 128 GB storage.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 16GB iPad mini 2 when it originally came out. I regret not going to 32 GB. It's annoying having to manage apps, including deleting them when upgrading to the latest iOS.

Even though it's in brand new condition, might be time to sell it and move up to a iPad mini 3 with 128 GB storage.
Apple just fixed the update storage space issue in the last update. That should no longer be a problem.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Always buy the highest amount you can afford . I rather pay for more and don't use it then pay for less and need more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73