Home & Lock Screen draining my battery?

LittlePixels

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
My daughter uses my old iPad 3, and I've noticed some weird battery drain issues lately. A couple nights ago it was 96% when I went to bed, and 68% by morning. I hadn't upgraded it to iOS 8 yet, so I couldn't see battery usage. I immediately upgraded it, made sure it was fully charged, and let it sit, unplugged. I checked the battery periodically, and it stayed at 100%. This morning, after two days unplugged, it was still at 100%. Then when I checked just now, four hours later (with nobody having touched it in between), it was 78%. Battery usage shows Home & Lock Screen using 99% and Photos using 1%. I have done nothing but hit the home button to check battery % once or twice a day, then turn it off again. It's sitting on a shelf completely untouched. What could be going on here?

Edit: 'cuz spelling is hard. ;)

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you putting it to sleep with apps running in the background or cleaned up? I have a habit when I put my iPad down for a long time on stand by I'll close all the apps.

LittlePixels

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
There were a ton of apps open, but theoretically that shouldn't matter, right, since they're supposed to shut down after a while? Could a rogue app affect Home & Lock Screen usage?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
There were a ton of apps open, but theoretically that shouldn't matter, right, since they're supposed to shut down after a while? Could a rogue app affect Home & Lock Screen usage?

Honestly a lot of your apps are always trying to check for notifications and updates all the time. So sometimes if wifi is turned off it will stop searching. Sometimes if certain apps are updating on wifi or sending messages to the device it will affect the battery life differently in different days. Maybe for fun try coming off wifi when on stand by and see if that makes things more stable. Last thing I can suggest is try restoring the device as new again sometimes this clears up many battery related issues

LittlePixels

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. She's going to be using it over the weekend, but I'll experiment with it next week. I have no problem restoring if necessary, and I'm used to looking for and deleting rogue apps (even before battery shaming made it easier :). I was really just curious as to why it would look as though the lock screen was sucking up the battery. Thanks for your help! :)

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. She's going to be using it over the weekend, but I'll experiment with it next week. I have no problem restoring if necessary, and I'm used to looking for and deleting rogue apps (even before battery shaming made it easier :). I was really just curious as to why it would look as though the lock screen was sucking up the battery. Thanks for your help! :)

No problem and I know from experience because I also have two daughters with an iPad and the kids games and apps are horrid for notifications and searching

LittlePixels

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
OMG you are so right. Basically anything with "princess" in the title is (generally) crapware full of ads and click bait. And of course sucks my daughter in every time. ;-P

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Home & Lock Screen draining my battery?

Also, make sure location services and App Refresh are off for Facebook. Also go to Facebook settings and turn off auto video play. That's a battery killer.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2