Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Default Need help! Sleep / wake button problem - Hardware or JB?

I have been searching everywhere but can't find an answer for this.

I have an iPad 4 4G on 7.1.1.

Since I upgraded to iOS 7, I have noticed that, randomly, when I press the sleep / wake button just ONCE, the screen will come on and then immediately shut off as if I have pressed the button TWICE. Subsequent presses are all fine. The problem always (AND ONLY) occur when the iPad has been in sleep mode for a mode. As far as I can remember, the device did not have this problem when it was in iOS 6.

I have also noticed that this problem appears to occur afterI JB this device using Pangu, even before installing an app (Cydia or App Store app). I can't reason how a JB can cause this issue at all.

I am at a complete loss here... Is this a failing hardware issue or a glitch in iOS 7? Has anyone seen this before?
    iMore Beginner

Default Re: Need help! Sleep / wake button problem - Hardware or JB?

I'm also having this problem on my 5s. Running jailbroken ios7.1.1 by Pangu.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

This is very important...

How sure are you that you did not this sleep / wake button problem BEFORE your JB or in earlier iOS 7 or even iOS 6? I am trying to confirm if this JB is purely coincidental or is there some JB issue that is causing this extremely unusual button issue.

Can you describe in MORE DETAIL how your sleep / wake button is malfunctioning? Is it Pangu that is the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by leepierre View Post
    I'm also having this problem on my 5s. Running jailbroken ios7.1.1 by Pangu.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums
    Last edited by shyhermit; 07-04-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
    This is very important...

How sure are you that you did not this sleep / wake button problem BEFORE your JB or in earlier iOS 7 or even iOS 6? I am trying to confirm if this JB is purely coincidental or is there some JB issue that is causing this extremely unusual button issue.

Can you describe in MORE DETAIL how your sleep / wake button is malfunctioning? Is it Pangu that is the cause?
    No. I had this problem all the while with my 5s. I'm suspecting hardware malfunction. And no, iPhone 5s has ios 7 since released. It DOES NOT have ios 6. I don't think jailbreak cause this though..

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

How frequently are you experiencing this issue? Does it happen even with the time period between button uses were very short so that you can reproducing it frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by leepierre View Post
    No. I had this problem all the while with my 5s. I'm suspecting hardware malfunction. And no, iPhone 5s has ios 7 since released. It DOES NOT have ios 6. I don't think jailbreak cause this though..

iMore Beginner

No. It comes occasionally. If the period between pressing the power button are short then it wouldn't happen. For example, after a few hours of not touching the phone, it will happen. However, i've noticed it only happens on the power button. What do you intend to do?

7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I actually don't think this is a hardware issue but an iOS 7 issue, exaggerated by the JB.

This was explored and came into light recently with the Pangu JB. Supposedly, it exposed a fault with the light sensor in many models of old iPhone and iPad. With Pangu, it is possible to trigger a boot loop by covering up the sensor. I suspect that the Pangu JB is screwing up the sensor threshold, causing the sensor prematurely to trigger the sleep mode with the power button. For me, the power button issue NEVER occurred without the jailbreak, so the situation may be different from yours. For me, I have the added benefit of using the iPad on iOS 6, which never experienced this problem. It is too much of a coincidence that the problem started after I upgraded to iOS 7.