How long do you wait before getting a new iPad?

smelton3

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I tell myself I don't need the latest iThang, and then launch day I am waiting on a delivery. I have each iPad from the original to iPad 3. Skipped 4th gen and have iPad Air. I wish I could say that this will last me for a few more year, but I know I will hand the credit card over to have the opportunity to be the first one on the block to have the latest whatever iThang they're selling.

Sent from my AT&T LTE iPad Air. White in color of course. Or my iPhone 5s. Gold of course.

bmspicer

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I was given my iPad mini by my lovely girlfriend for christmas the year it came out. I was blown away by its beauty and productivity. It truly is the right shape, size and feel for a tablet. Now however I am starting to feel the screen quality could be better. But what do i do, keep the one I have and by a new one or sell it and buy a new one or finally stay as i am. It is a big of a naughty thing to consider, cheating on my girlfriends gift. What would you do? I have had this thing for a number of years by now and could do with an upgrade, however I do enjoy an iPhone 6 since launch day this year.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's see.

I had the original iPad, then that was stolen. Got a used iPad 2, Fall 2012. That broke in Fall 2013. Gave the brokenscreened wreck to a cousin to get a new 2 at replacement price.

Bought an Air that was maxed out then -- 128 GB plus LTE. Still using that.

So I guess I average a new iPad every eighteen months? But would prefer to upgrade every 2-3 years. I just happened to have had two incidents (theft, drop) that made it make sense for me to get a new one.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

idrazz856

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the original 2012 iPad mini and I am definitely ready for an upgrade! The only problem is, I'm really torn between the rMini 2 and the Air 2. I just can't see myself upgrading to the mini 3 and spending the extra $100 just for Touch ID. For me there is no real need to upgrade unless necessary. But since I have a MacBook Air I just bought along with my iP6 it's hard for my eyes to adjust back to this mini without retina 👀👓

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello iMore.
Just purchased a new iPad Air and iPad mini w/ Retina, and I know I probably should have waiting for the new ones... *sigh*
But just wanted to get a general idea of how long do you guys wait until you upgrade your iPad to the latest model?
When they start going bad, get a new one.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
When they start going bad, get a new one.

Hmmm. I’ve not had one go "bad" yet. My family (wife and kids) has had all of them except the iPad 4. (Not yet purchased either of the newest, 2014 models).

I personally had the original iPad and updated to the Mini 2 last year when it was released.

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
The bad thing about iOS is that Apple's ecosystem will FORCE you to buy a new product eventually.

Unlike Android, iOS apps require you to have a certain version of iOS. If your device doesn't support it then it'll quickly become obsolete .

On the other hand Android doesn't have such stupid requirements. In fact the apps have no requirements listed at all.

The developers look for the latest version of Google Play Services.this is a service that is updated automatically by Google. Regardless of the OS version you have.

So it is really Apple that has a fragmentation issue, not Android. Because the OS and Apps work independently from each other.

The guy running Android 2.3 has the same version of apps I have on Android 4.4.2. So it makes no difference to him.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The bad thing about iOS is that Apple's ecosystem will FORCE you to buy a new product eventually.

Unlike Android, iOS apps require you to have a certain version of iOS. If your device doesn't support it then it'll quickly become obsolete .

On the other hand Android doesn't have such stupid requirements. In fact the apps have no requirements listed at all.

The developers look for the latest version of Google Play Services.this is a service that is updated automatically by Google. Regardless of the OS version you have.

So it is really Apple that has a fragmentation issue, not Android. Because the OS and Apps work independently from each other.

The guy running Android 2.3 has the same version of apps I have on Android 4.4.2. So it makes no difference to him.

No one is forcing you to upgrade. Ever. Get your device, load it up with the apps you like and use it. You never have to update anything at any time. If the new version of an app won’t run on the device and iOS version that you have, keep the version of the app that you already have.

And explain to me again what these "stupid requirements" that Apple has (and android does not) are. If the device can’t run the newest version of iOS, and therefore, the newest version of an app (or even a completely new app), keep the versions and the apps that you have.

You also have to understand that hardware platforms evolve. The fact that the new versions of the android OS are not made available to all devices is a deficiency within the android platform. Don’t blame Apple or iOS for that. Apple keeps devices running the newest iOS version for 3-4 years at a minimum. iOS 8 will run in the iPhone 4, a device that is 4+ years old. Likewise, the iPad 2 can still get/run iOS 8. That device is over 3 years old.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I just upgrade whenever I feel like it. My original Mini wasn't having this iOS 8. It was only 16GB and became slower than molasses in January. So I got the Mini 3. I chose this one over the Mini Retina simply because the Apple store didn't have a 64GB offering in it. So Mini 3 it was!

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
No one is forcing you to upgrade. Ever. Get your device, load it up with the apps you like and use it. You never have to update anything at any time. If the new version of an app won?t run on the device and iOS version that you have, keep the version of the app that you already have.

And explain to me again what these "stupid requirements" that Apple has (and android does not) are. If the device can?t run the newest version of iOS, and therefore, the newest version of an app (or even a completely new app), keep the versions and the apps that you have.

You also have to understand that hardware platforms evolve. The fact that the new versions of the android OS are not made available to all devices is a deficiency within the android platform. Don?t blame Apple or iOS for that. Apple keeps devices running the newest iOS version for 3-4 years at a minimum. iOS 8 will run in the iPhone 4, a device that is 4+ years old. Likewise, the iPad 2 can still get/run iOS 8. That device is over 3 years old.
Yea right. I'm sure iOS 8 will run flawlessly on an iPhone 4.

You're delusional. You can't be serious to say that you never need to update any apps. With all the bug fixes and added features this isn't realistic. You need to keep your apps up to date.

You know how many iOS devices Apple has broken with updates? Just because the update is available doesn't mean it will run well.

Actually iOS 8 degrades iPhone 5 performance. Never mind iPhone 4.

My iPhone 4s was a laggy mess after the iOS 7 update.

It is a good thing that OS versions aren't available to hardware that can't run it properly.

So you have an android phone that runs great like when you got it, has never updated the OS but can run all the latest apps,

THEN you have an iPhone that is the same age, running the latest iOS, running like garbage just so you can,update your apps.

Let's not force me to link the endless threads of people cursing the day they updated their iOS and rendered their devices unusable.

Or let's just do it your way. You buy an iOS device. Say 4 years ago. You load up the apps you want and you turn off the app store. You never update anything and you never get any new apps.

Haha.. You're such a troll.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

You're delusional. You can't be serious to say that you never need to update any apps. With all the bug fixes and added features this isn't realistic. You need to keep your apps up to date.

You know how many iOS devices Apple has broken with updates? Just because the update is available doesn't mean it will run well.

It is a good thing that OS versions aren't available to hardware that can't run it properly.

So you have an android phone that runs great like when you got it, has never updated the OS but can run all the latest apps,

THEN you have an iPhone that is the same age, running the latest iOS, running like garbage just so you can,update your apps.

Let's not force me to link the endless threads of people cursing the day they updated their iOS and rendered their devices unusable.

Or let's just do it your way. You buy an iOS device. Say 4 years ago. You load up the apps you want and you turn off the app store. You never update anything and you never get any new apps.

Then I guess you’re best served in the world of android where many (most?) devices never get newer versions of their operating system - be stuck with the OS on the phone/tablet that came with it.

And you want me to believe that android never updates any internal calls or APIs and then you want me to believe that it’s a good thing? Or just that the tremendous amount of work on the developer's part to maintain an app to run on 2, 3, 4 or more versions of an OS is a good thing?

The point is simply, you don’t have to upgrade, and at the end of a product's life cycle, you cannot upgrade beyond a certain point.

And then you call me a troll? Who’s the one in an Apple-centric forum bashing iOS and trumpeting the advantages of android?

Last edited:

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Lol the pot calling the kettle black. Your in an iMore forum talking about how great android is lol.

Let me load up kit kat on my droid 2. If that's right it died. Ok let me try my Samsung Fascinate oh that died too. And neither of them is able to even install a new update.

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I test them for work so I order all my new devices on preorder day to try and get them in hand on launch day.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I plan on upgrading every other year, but this time around I upgraded. I bought a Mini 2 last year and then an Air 2 this year because I needed more storage and the spec bump on the Air 2 was big enough that I decided to go for it. I can't be behind a generation or I start going crazy lol :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I always got one every year and this year was different, in that I did purchase the new Air 2 but returned it and went back to my original Air. Safari wasn't much faster if at all and that is what I use most on my Tablet. The new Touch ID was awkward on a large Tablet. It only worked half the time anyway so I ended up turning it off. I'll see what the new Tablets look like next year. My Air 1 is actually working better now on iOS 8.1.1. :)

Sent from my 128GB iPhone 6 + using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox