Do Kids Really Need An iPad?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Is it wise to get a very young child about under the age of 8, their own tablet? I've been hearing stuff about people giving 4 year olds an iPad; the latest model like the iPad Air and the Retina Mini. Do you think it's a smart move by the parents?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, because the parents would know better than anyone else if their kids are ready for an iPad.

terfos

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
To each their own. I can see pros and cons to it and each situation is different.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think anymore outsiders **** in too much with others parenting. Let the parents parent their own children. However in some instances outside sources do need to step in. If they think the child is ready and would benefit from an iPad then have at it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to give some facts. I'm not trying to offend anyone. America is the 2nd most obese country in the world. Wouldn't it be better to let kids play outside than them always wanting to go on their iPads?

Zabigayle

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Agreed with the above. When I was a kid (about 10 years ago) I wasn't allowed it sit in front of screens, tv included. I had very little screen time. My parents said go outside and do something or go play with toys.

If I gave a child an iPad I'd make sure it was used for mostly educational purposes and very limited games etc.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My oldest now almost 8 has had one since she was 5 and my youngest turning 4 this year had one at 2

Both never dropped no dents etc and I don't use screen protectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I do restrict usage times etc so it's not taking away from outdoor activity and both my kids are involved in extra activity like cheerleading etc

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with some restriction, but also believe tech is forever advancing. And will be a big part of their lives. And a child at the age of five being able to use an iPad is not a bad thing.

AlexJ92

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Here in the UK schools actually encourage kids to use iPads within the classroom, they connect their iPads to the schools wifi. It allows them to access documents for the classroom. So I think it is beneficial in these circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Good question, I say YES, because the world of technology continues to grow and is part of our daily lives, but to a certain limit. There should be a time limit on how long a child should be on an iPad. Interaction with Parents and children should be one of the most important parts of childhood and and parenthood.... IMHO. The iPad as well as video games should NOT act as a babysitter. Children need to expeience the "PLAYING OUTSIDE" (running, jumping, playing hide-n-go seek,ect, ect) and interacting with other children besides on the school level......Just MY .02 cents

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Tablet computers are more than just expensive toys. IMO all kids would benefit from learning to use them as tools. As for how old is the right age for them to have their own tablet? That's got to be up to the parent. Citing obesity as a reason to avoid getting kids a tablet doesn't really solve the problem. Parents have to be responsible for teaching their kids healthy eating habits and lifestyle choices. That probably means the kids are gonna have to go for a jog or play outside for a bit before they get to play on their iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My children love their iPads. My daughter has had one since she was 2. She has learned (with my help) to write her letters, count, read, math computation, and more on the iPad. She loves watching her shows and playing games on it too. My son likes watching YouTube videos not the iPad. He loves trains and just searches for trains and other vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Is it wise to get a very young child about under the age of 8, their own tablet? I've been hearing stuff about people giving 4 year olds an iPad; the latest model like the iPad Air and the Retina Mini. Do you think it's a smart move by the parents?

NO! I wouldn't buy a kid a tablet until they're at least 10 or 11, and they'd have to be really responsible. 4 year olds with iPads make me sick

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
"Chances are you won't make worlds greatest dad, if you can't entertain a child without using an iPad"

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
"Chances are you won't make worlds greatest dad, if you can't entertain a child without using an iPad"

I don't see how it is any different than giving a child a toy. But that's just me. I think that introducing children's to technology only benefits them. I wish my parents had when I was younger. Would have made things a lot easier when I was expected to use it in school. There are so many educational things that children can do with the iPad. I just don't understand why people are against giving their children one.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk