Do Kids Really Need An iPad?

taeisme

Trusted Member
Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I never thought kids having tablets was a good thing until I had to move from the east coast to the west coast. The drive was long and with two kids watching movies, reading magazines, books and having the ability to draw it totally saved my life and made the road trip a pleasant experience.

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
It helps with stuff. Good for learning. My daughter is only 3 but has been playing with her moms since she was 2. I was actually planning on buying her one of her own for her 5th birthday. But the fianc?s sister bought her a tablet, no idea what one at the moment, for Christmas and I'm kind of mad about it. She plays with one now but she doesn't need to have one of her own. Fianc? told me that it's no big deal she's still going to have time limits, but maybe it is just me. She's 3 years old she doesn't need a friggin tablet of her own at that age. Even 5 would be pushing it. If she didn't enjoy the educational apps that she does on it she would probably rarely see the iPad she uses now.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I never thought kids having tablets was a good thing until I had to move from the east coast to the west coast. The drive was long and with two kids watching movies, reading magazines, books and having the ability to draw it totally saved my life and made the road trip a pleasant experience.
Tablets are great for kids as long as you set down some ground rules when and how they can use it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I was a big advocate of ipads and ipod touches for kids. My daughter thrived on them from age 2. She learned to read at age 3 or 4.

But somewhere along the line, she stopped doing the education apps. Maybe starting second grade or so. The PC became her device for using Office or doing academic sites and some games like Minecraft. The ipad became more of a games and youtube thing only in car. She had no interest in an ipad otherwise.

When it comes to reading, at age 8 (third grade) she's reading at a middle school level and has an insane number of accelerated reader points, but has no interest in reading on the ipad at all. It's real books she prefers although I get her to read her Kindle sometimes (because I already have so many ebooks). When I say we should just sell her ipad, she agreed and said she doesn't want one.

She does have a hand me down data only iphone thats used primarily in car. That's it. I've thought about getting her a macbook air but still too young. The spare PC she's using where we can see her is doing the trick as she's learned to type a bit, works with Office, prints, and can do her own searches. In a way, I prefer that she's not on an ipad all the time and enjoys the real world tools more.

It does make buying gifts hard. I want to get her that Nintendo she wants. But I don't want her wasting hours on it. Minecraft on the PC is already somewhat an obsession for her. Instead, it's a bow for archery. Painting classes. Lego minecraft. Books.

Anyways, from my experience an ipad was great from like ages 2-6 if you manage it. After that, it goes downhill. I suppose you have to understand that from a kid's perspective, they grew up with it. An ipad is not a big deal. It's something they did "work" on or they want to move on to something different like a PC.

kg4fxg

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Well,

My daughter has had the first iPad for a few years now and she is nine. My thoughts are more about education. All her school books are on-line and there are lots of educational Apps. I do keep the iPad in an Otterbox Case and she does not mind the bulky protection. Seems to be the favorite toy.

She researches things she is interested in such as Egypt and can tell you all about each Pharaoh. My wife and I very well educated and would like the same for her. My wife is a teacher and I am a CPA.

I think technology is great for kids. I grew up with phones that had party lines. Only three television stations to watch, life was much different then. But I think it depends on the child. With everything there are positives and negatives and having a daughter at nine is one thing. It could prove to be a problem later.

I was thinking of upgrading her iPad with one restriction. I choose the Apps. The new one she can use but I control the content. I also can control the Wifi in the house.

Back to the original question. Do kids need an iPad? I think they can benefit from one even if an older one passed down. It can help them learn to read. Lots of educational benefits. But there are many educational resources to help children learn and an iPad is only one of the many choices. So if you want your child to learn there are other avenues as well. To answer the question they don't need an iPad. There are benefits, but having educational Apps on the home computer will work fine.

I am more bent on education and work with my daughter on homework every night. Sometimes we work until 9PM or later and there is no time left for the iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner