Anyone get a 16 GB model iPad?

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPad mini retina with 16 GB and to be honest it was a bad decision to get the 16 GB instead of the 32 GB. Previously I had the 32 GB version iPad mini (without retina) and the size is perfect for almost anything. But the 16GB is just not enough.

First of all you can really just have about 12 GB because of the operating system etc. and after installing all your app which are bigger because they're iPad applications and because of retina they're even bigger.

I removed all apps which aren't essential and have about 1 GB Music, 1 GB Mangas and a lot of books and just have about 1 GB free. It's somehow ok, but you're restricted and that's not cool.

F?r example you can't just load lot of music, videos etc. on it extra or take a lot of pictures and videos without noticing that you're reaching the limit.

So I think for iPads especially with retina display, 32 GB is a minimum.

And don't forget all the caches of apps like Facebook or news apps which will "fill" you device storage with "others" which you can't remove easily. (Either reinstalling the app, using tweak on a jailbroken device like "iCleaner Pro" or tools on PC like "PhoneClean")

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPad mini retina with 16 GB and to be honest it was a bad decision to get the 16 GB instead of the 32 GB. Previously I had the 32 GB version iPad mini (without retina) and the size is perfect for almost anything. But the 16GB is just not enough.

First of all you can really just have about 12 GB because of the operating system etc. and after installing all your app which are bigger because they're iPad applications and because of retina they're even bigger.

I removed all apps which aren't essential and have about 1 GB Music, 1 GB Mangas and a lot of books and just have about 1 GB free. It's somehow ok, but you're restricted and that's not cool.

F?r example you can't just load lot of music, videos etc. on it extra or take a lot of pictures and videos without noticing that you're reaching the limit.

So I think for iPads especially with retina display, 32 GB is a minimum.

And don't forget all the caches of apps like Facebook or news apps which will "fill" you device storage with "others" which you can't remove easily. (Either reinstalling the app, using tweak on a jailbroken device like "iCleaner Pro" or tools on PC like "PhoneClean")

I agree. Especially because of the retina apps, 16 GB (really only about 12 useable GB) doesn't last long. Having about 28 useable GB on a 32 GB model is a lot better.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Especially because of the retina apps, 16 GB (really only about 12 useable GB) doesn't last long. Having about 28 useable GB on a 32 GB model is a lot better.

Haha I agree back, I should have bought a 32 GB model but it's ok somehow.

But to be honest, having limited space does help me to just install and used the best apps instead of a lot of apps (for me). I don't have 9+ app to edit a picture, I just use one app which does the work right. I don't have 15+ games on iPad, just 4 which are really cool (only multiplayer). So I try to use universal cloud syncing and powerful apps instead of a lot of apps

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
16 GB is enough for me. I keep everything in the cloud.

That's a good strategy, but for me, I have to have everything on my device. I have a Wi-Fi only model, so if a lot of my stuff was in the cloud, I would be in trouble unless I am connected to Wi-Fi

agp101

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned any device with more than 16gb of storage. For me extra storage is not worth the premium and I've gotten quite used to optimizing my device operations to be compatible with my 16gb of storage. The cloud is your friend. But if you do download lots of large games and absolutely need to store a bunch of movies on there, and even that if that's worth spending $100 more for a 32gb, that's up to you. For me I don't do those things. I keep music and if I do store a movie I just delete it.

In the end, you gotta take all those factors and do what's right for you

Posted via iMore App

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I originally bought the 16GB iPad mini with Retina Display, but took it back a week later when I had a bit more cash and upgraded to the 32GB (also upgraded to Cellular).

For me the 16GB version just wasn't big enough, especially when you consider that you only have about 12GB to play with after iOS, formatting, etc.

iPad mini with Retina Display
32GB, White, Wi-Fi+4G
iOS 7.1.1

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I got the 16G and it wasn't enough for me. If I'm on travel I can only have about three or four movies.

Next one I'll get bigger capacity.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
For an iPad I think I could manage with 16gb because I use my for streaming video and reading
I bought a 16 GB last year. With so many apps being 1-2 GB's now, it didn't work for me. This year I bought a 32GB and it works fine. I use iTunes Match for my music so I don't need to load my 25 GB music library on it.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My first one iPad 2 was 16 gb, it wasn't quite enough, so my Air is 32 which is plenty for me.

I do regret not getting the LTE however.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPad 2 I purchased years back was a 16 GB model and it was plenty for me, however, the iPad Mini that I currently have is a 64 GB model and I'm not even close to filling it up. Depending on your usage, a 16 GB model could be sufficient, but if you can swing it, opt to get the 32 or higher, just in case...:)

Last edited:

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
All my iDevices have been 16GB. I just got the Air, also 16, and it's fine for my usage. If I were to store movies, then I'd definitely had gone with 64 or higher.

_-TechnologyTwitt_-
------------------------

Analyss14

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I got the 16G and it wasn't enough for me. If I'm on travel I can only have about three or four movies.

Next one I'll get bigger capacity.

This is the one and only reason I got a larger capacity iPad: traveling. I don't watch movies on my iPad because the resolution just doesn't work for me for extended movie watching and I don't play games on it as I find 9.7" too large for a handheld gaming device (I prefer 7" or lower and really mostly rely on actual handheld consoles).

Despite all this, I got the 32 GB version because I travel quite a bit and a lot of the places I visit there's just no ready access to internet and forget about tethering my phone, it gets expensive when the only way to get mobile data is by buying cards. Last time I traveled, my iPad held 20GB of HD comics and some magazines and miscellaneous apps. I held on to my kindle strictly for books, battery life, and the fact that no matter where I've traveled to so far, Amazon free 3G seems to always be available to me so I always have access to my library.

I went through all my comics in less than a week though and started wishing I had bought a 64GB iPad. Glad I didn't though because since I've been back in the U.S. my used space has remained at a rock steady 10.1GB. To me it was worth the extra money for more space even though it's only useful twice or three times a year.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
My iPad mini was 16 GB. I like to store a lot of TV show episodes on my iPad so 16GB was a tight squeeze for me. However you can still fit quite a bit on there. I had about 10 games, my entire kindle and comic collection on there but I could only fit a few TV shows on there.

I got 32GB for my iPad Air and so far it's been enough for me.

I use Netflix, Amazon prime and other Streaming sites. I also stream my music from the cloud and use a wireless device to stream other video content. I think 16GB is manageable if you have good access to a good wifi connection. A few years ago I would have said no but streaming services have improved.

Sent from my iPod touch using iMore Forums

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a 16gb mini retina, and it's perfect. I have the cellular version, and don't store much on the device, so paying for the extra memory was unnecessary for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I had a ipad mini 1 with 16 gb and for me it was great! And i just bought the ipad air space grey 16 gb and gave the mini to my mom... My iphone 5s is 32gb where i have all my music, my ipad just use it for other stuff no music

AlexIT83

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
well for me this is the first time here in this forums, and the first time that I would buy an Ipad Air, but I'm between the 16gb vs 32gb. first i really dont like to play games on a tablet, I mostly used for music, some pictures and reading magazines, what model anyone could recommend? thank you so much for your help.

agalaria

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I had iPhone 4 16GB, i managed with it. Now with retina display and each app usually being 1GB due to better screen resolution and better camera. Hence i bought iPhone 5 32GB and iPad 32GB and happy with both. 16Gb is good but its always better to have some space extra as I never carry an additional camera when i travel. iPhone is my camera and i don't wanna think about space before clicking a pic.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2