Could iBeacon bring multi-user to the iPad

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
A friend and I were having the argument yet again about whether multiple user accounts are a good thing for the iPad. I personally think that the grass is just greener and that is why some people want the multi user setup. I understand the reasons behind it but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be a good thing. There are so many things to consider that the multi-user will bring along with it. You will run into system slowdown, what happens when three users leave millions of apps running? What happens if one user leaves an app open with content (unpublished tweet, un-posted forum response, etc.) and another user turns off the device? These are just two considerations of the myriad of things that multi-user setups bring with them. Then we got to talking about iBeacon and we both wondered if that could be what Apple will eventually use. We watched a video about iBeacons where the iPad in a store display detected a user based on his iPhone and then presented the user with their login and subsequently their information. So what if the iPad was just a clean slate with the apps installed. Then as someone grabs the iPad it recognizes them and their settings from their iPhone and they unlock to their home screen and apps. It's like what Microsoft does with Roaming profiles and is trying to do in Windows 8 with the settings all stored in the user's hotmail account. It's a pretty interesting idea and ofcourse it comes with it's own problems too but I'd be down for that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You bring up excellent points in regard to the iPad having multi-user support. When I first purchased an iPad a few years back, I thought it would be a good idea, but I'm not so sure now. The iPad and tablets, in general, have become more personal. As for iBeacons, I don't know. iBeacons seem a bit too big brother-ish for my tastes.

Last edited:

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it could be good for iPads to have multiples users and perhaps iBeacons could be a window into that reality. I'd have my concerns and I think it may lead to more of a reliance on iCloud data and I'm not sure Apple is ready for that at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2