Do you remember the first time you used an iPad?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought the iPad 2 because I knew Apple would "bring it" after the 1st gen. I was excited and couldn't put it down! I was amazed even though I felt like it was just a big iPhone/iPod Touch.

Lone_GreyWolf

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I had wanted an iPad for months but was never able to afford one due to being out of work for so long. When I moved to the Midwest, enrolled in university and entered the campus, all of the students who didn't have Macbook Pros (the non-Retina versions which Apple recently retired) and Macbook Airs had iPad minis for schoolwork. Even though my Mac was almost five years old (a macmini3,1) I was dying for an iPad and had researched over a dozen sites for weeks regarding productivity apps, screen size, hardware, cost, games, accessories - you name it. When I received my student stipend and went to Best Buy to finally purchase one in late January I was practically bouncing off the walls. I wanted to open it right away and see and hold it, but it was thirteen degrees that day; I had to wait until I got it home.

I wrote a blog piece during my unboxing but when I was taking a snapshot of the iPad mini 2's screen when rendering text for a blog entry and when I moved my webcam away my jaw dropped! For me the "oh my God" moment wasn't regarding the games or the apps - it was how the retina display rendered text. Looking at my blog post now, the first sites where I tried the iPad version of Safari were Macworld's Mac mini media center setup feature and then my personal journal on Wordpress. The crisp text just blew me away, and I was really upset that I didn't have time to actually play with it as I had classes early the next morning and I needed it fully updated and ready to use for educational use.

I wasn't impressed with it's handling of Powerpoint slides (and I'm still not) or Apple's refusal to allow it to run Java but every other feature I tested in that first week - from typing up assignments while away from my Mac, to taking notes, to using graphic calculators, to accessing my university's Outlook email, to playing games like Modern Combat 4, N.O.V.A. 3 and SurvivalCraft - made the $600 USD+accessories well worth it.

kimplix

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Got it on christmas 2013. I didn't relise it was an iPad 2 till I actually opened it up. It's actually been pretty useful to me ever since

Tsepz_GP

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
1st time I played on an iPad was on my aunts 1st gen, she got it right after release. I liked it but at the same time didn't see the use of it, but after many times of using hers I fell in live with it.

Got my 1st iPad, the iPad 4 in late 2012 and have been very happy since :)

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
My first iPad was an iPad 3 and it blew my mind. Then I got an iPad 4 with 128 GB and I loved it until IOS7.
That snafu caused me to give up iPad and switch to Galaxy Note Pro, which had some problems and lots of ridiculously cool features... until I stupidly dropped it and shattered the screen.
So as of yesterday, I have an iPad Air, and it's love again. :)

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
When I first saw the iPad I dismissed it as nothing but a big iPod touch. Then my wife got one so I picked it up an tried it. And as much as it was somewhat like a big iPod on the surface, the use scenarios and experience of it was completely different. I ended up buying an iPad 3 (after being unsatisfied with the PlayBook) when it launched, and later gave that to my kids when I got the retina mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brummi

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, I must be too old to appreciate it or understand it. Unlike everyone else, I haven't had too much satisfaction yet. I was given a mini IPad as a gift and to this day I haven't been able to download apps. Its good for doing emails, rather than opening my computer - but thats the only use I get out of it.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I remember when the first iPad came out, calling around to every Best Buy within a hundred miles to see if they had any Cellular models for AT&T.

Gruesome work for quite the reward. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I was reluctant to get an iPad when they first came out as I thought they were just oversized iPhone. I didn't see the need when my iPhone did everything I needed it to do. A few years later I switched to the Samsung galaxy note and started to see the advantage of having a tablet. As I was using android at the time I tried two android tablets but felt that they were lacking and had too many flaws.

When the iPad mini launched I got one and then I understood what the hype was all about lol

I've been using an iPad since the fall of 2012. I use it everyday and it's replaced 95 % of my computing needs.

Sent from my iPod touch using iMore Forums

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, I must be too old to appreciate it or understand it. Unlike everyone else, I haven't had too much satisfaction yet. I was given a mini IPad as a gift and to this day I haven't been able to download apps. Its good for doing emails, rather than opening my computer - but thats the only use I get out of it.

Have you set up an account with Apple?

Sent from my iPod touch using iMore Forums

lyle123

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes Dec 2014.My first ipad actually my first Apple product.I came off a Kindle Fire.Still have the Zipad Air.Its a fantastic Tabletcouldnt be happier.

Cap_172R

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
First time I used an iPad was back in 2011, a buddy of mine had his and I had a BBRY playbook. Was a blackberry fan back then (still love their devices) but I'm an iOS fan nowadays. Got my own iPad mini 2 as a bday gift last year and after that I got the iP6 for Christmas. Love my devices - couldn't be happier

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I remember the first time I used an iPad. I ordered it a few months after they launched it with be intention of using it for school. I had used other tablets before, but I immediately fell in love with how easy it was to work the device. I have always had an iPad since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Well I had been using an iPod Touch 5th Gen for some time. I got about what i expected when I switched from my Nexus 7 to an Air - everything I liked about my iPod with a better size and form factor for video and comic books, which was a complaint about the Nexus 7.

I've ended up using my iPad Air a lot more than I ever used my Nexus 7 though, partly because of the size and partly because I have a better collection of games and apps. Some of the stuff I like never got ported to Android or got ported very badly (Hi Square-Enix mobile, boy for what you guys charge you think you'd do better development on Android!)

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
When the iPad was first announced, I was one of those people who mocked everything about it, down to the name. "It's just a big iPhone." "i*Pad*, really?" (who remembers rumors of the "iSlate"?)

I just happened to go to Best Buy on launch day. I wanted to check out a phone. Best Buy didn't have any working models, so rather than leave immediately and feel like that was a complete waste of a trip, I decided to walk around. Didn't even realize the iPad just came out since I didn't really care about the product. Found it in the Apple section at the back of the store and started to play with it. 30 minutes later I was on my way home with my brand new iPad. I could never NOT own a tablet again.

jeffb06l4

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I bought my iPad Air in January, so I remember it very well. Before that, I had a Kindle Fire, but it lagged and crashed way too much for me. The iPad Air is pretty darn amazing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73