iPad mini w/ retina vs iPad 4

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. From the reading I've done, the iPad has come a long way when it comes to photo and image editing. I'm leaning towards the mini but I heard it wasn't as good as the iPad 3 / 4 in terms of processing power.

From the quick comparison that I made though, it seems the mini with retina now matches the specs of the iPad 4. Is that right?

Clarification and insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
The Retina Mini is even more powerful than the iPad 4. It has the same specs as the current gen iPad Air.

Sent from my iPhone 5 iMore Forum App

MERCDROID

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. From the reading I've done, the iPad has come a long way when it comes to photo and image editing. I'm leaning towards the mini but I heard it wasn't as good as the iPad 3 / 4 in terms of processing power.

From the quick comparison that I made though, it seems the mini with retina now matches the specs of the iPad 4. Is that right?

Clarification and insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

As the other two posters have correctly noted, the new iPad Mini is basically a scaled down version of the iPad Air.

However, if you're basing your choice on photo and image editing, then you should be aware of the color gamut "issues."

Apparently, as referenced from several websites, the new iPad Mini shares the same color gamut as the previous version Mini. As a result, it has imperfect color reproduction and suffers from image retention.

Normal users, such as myself and probably a good portion of the readers, here, won't notice this "shortfall." However, if some people place the iPad Air next to the Mini, then they will slowly begin to notice a difference in the produced colors.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As the other two posters have correctly noted, the new iPad Mini is basically a scaled down version of the iPad Air.

However, if you're basing your choice on photo and image editing, then you should be aware of the color gamut "issues."

Apparently, as referenced from several websites, the new iPad Mini shares the same color gamut as the previous version Mini. As a result, it has imperfect color reproduction and suffers from image retention.

Normal users, such as myself and probably a good portion of the readers, here, won't notice this "shortfall." However, if some people place the iPad Air next to the Mini, then they will slowly begin to notice a difference in the produced colors.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Wow. Thanks for the extra bit of info. I've been trying to find a portable way to edit photos since being on the computer, for any amount of time, is pretty difficult to do with a hyper active 18 month old.

I'm not a professional photographer, but since most of the pictures I will post will be of my son, colour needs to be right. I've got an iPad 4 now and it's too big for what I'd like to do.

Looks like I've got more things to consider now.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Image retention only happens in a few earlier mini with retina, not in most and not in later production runs

That's reassuring. However, I don't know if there's a way to pick one from a later run versus earlier runs.

Regardless, I'm not a professional photographer so there's no need for me to have perfect colours. I just need them to be consistent.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE my Retina mini. No problems at all with the screen

Sent from my Retina iPad mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal